It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:03

New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 Nov 2023, 18:14 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
The weekend forecast had been bouncing around, but it looked like there would be a warm(ish) spell for a couple days. I decided to get in one last overnight backpacking / fishing trip to the high country before things got too chilly for me.

I took Friday off work, did the usual wee hours drive across the valley, up into the foothills for my permit, then on to the trailhead. I managed to get started hiking around 9:30am this time.

The trail crosses a little crick with tiny brookies; a lake outlet that was flowing well for this late in the season, then up through a burned area, and some ups and downs past a few junctions. I reached the first lake before noon, had a snack and watched some rises/tail swirls in the shady areas. I'd had good luck fishing here in late season, but every year is different, even at the same lake.

I rigged up my Graywolf Trout Smith 8'6" 5wt 4-piece S-glass and cast a few midge emergers into the shade where I saw finning fish. Nope. I switched to a tan GFA hopper. That got some attention.

I walked around to the far side of the lake, scrambling over talus to some sections where there were deeper drop-offs and cover. The afternoon breeze was picking up, which I always find a good thing for trout fishing on lakes.

After catching another rainbow or two I decided to get moving in early afternoon. I hadn't been up this high for a few weeks, so I was moving slowly. I headed up past a junction, over a rise, then down to another series of lakes. These have brookies, and I stopped to have a snack at an overlook.

I'd never really had good luck fishing this lake, but it's nice for views. I continued on, and headed up to another lake in late afternoon.

This one gets a fair number of visitors during the summer, so the fish here are usually wary during the day. I brought a BFS rig just for this lake though, and flung out a trout minnow from Japan.

The evening came all too quickly, as it does this time of year. I made camp, had dinner and watched the sun set.

I was glad I'd brought a nice warm down sleeping bag. In the morning I fished before breakfast. There was frost around the lake. The brookies were active.

Abu Garcia Baitfinesse 7' L 4-piece / Daiwa Gekkabijin Air TW with KKR T35 Air spool / Varivas Avani Light Game x4 PE 0.4 (8.5#)

I didn't get going hiking again until mid-morning. I retraced my steps.

At one of the junctions I made the impulsive decision to go check out another lake I'd only visited once, during a drought year. This year was most definitely different; lots more water. I had some lunch.

The brookies here were hungry, too. I noticed some largish cream-colored caddis on the wing. I strung up my Graywolf and let loose a hopper.

While walking around the shoreline I noticed that there was also an upper lake, whose outlet flowed into this one. Hmm, I'd never seen it before. It was a short walk up the granite.

A lot of it looked fairly shallow, and I wasn't sure if it held any fish. That question was soon resolved -- I could see rises over near some meadows. This guy smacked a parachute Mr. Rapidan, a pattern that had produced well for me all season.

Another view that some of you Sierra Nevada connoisseurs may recognize ...

Around mid-afternoon I decided it was time to get moving. It wasn't long before I found myself back at the first lake I'd visited.

I halfheartedly fished my BFS rig, but there wasn't really anything going on this side of the lake. I packed it up and headed back down the trail, passing the little brookie stream.

Back to the car by 5:30pm. From the look of the trailhead I'd had the whole area to myself. Just the way I like it :)

Looking forward to a wet / snowy winter (fingers crossed).

Post 06 Nov 2023, 18:32 • #2 
Master Guide
Great trip great time to be in the Sierra. Those are some very beautiful trout!!!

Post 06 Nov 2023, 18:57 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Vert sweet!

Post 06 Nov 2023, 20:06 • #4 
Master Guide
Ah, the stuff of "winter dreams..."
Beautiful

Post 07 Nov 2023, 07:37 • #5 
Sport
Always great pictures and comments--well done!

Post 07 Nov 2023, 10:21 • #6 
Master Guide
Incredible photos of those beautiful gem-like fish. I would love to get up there sometime! (California is on my “one day I’ll ski there” list too.)

Post 07 Nov 2023, 12:32 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice sir!

Post 07 Nov 2023, 14:07 • #8 
Guide
Great trip description with the outstanding pictures!!

Post 07 Nov 2023, 16:48 • #9 
Sport
Great review of the adventure. Pics are Awesome.

Post 08 Nov 2023, 09:42 • #10 
Beautiful!

Post 10 Nov 2023, 09:01 • #11 
Sport
I miss the Sierras. I got a good evening in on the LT back in Sept, but haven’t been up since. Your photos are fantastic and make me a little homesick. Wonderful report. Thank you so much for the post!

Post 10 Nov 2023, 14:34 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Awesome trip Odonata! PS: I can't cast one of those baitcasting reels to save my life...

Post 11 Nov 2023, 20:31 • #13 
Administrator
paveglass wrote:
I can't cast one of those baitcasting reels to save my life.
Sure you can! Casting it more than once per trip is the tricky bit.

I once loaned my Ambassadeur 5000 rig to a friend, without realizing he had never cast one. I had to replace the line...

Tom

Post 12 Nov 2023, 09:33 • #14 
Piscator
I'm a fan of JDM Abu Garcia rods, which improve in increments with every new (frequent) release. I've added 3 of them, though my niches are well-plugged now (pun not intended)

Donny, the new generation of BFS reels has grown a fan-club on Another Spin page, and Rob is among them - he's only been doing this for a year or so.
Casting essentially mass-less B/C spools, inertia goes out the window, and it becomes really easy to set up a baitcaster.
All you need to do is adjust mag brake to prevent mid-cast (wind) backlash, casting the lightest thing you intend to throw.

There are only two other things - you have to watch your lure, and stop the spool with your thumb when the lure hits - thumb brake is also how you control final elevation/ distance on your cast, and pinpoint your accuracy
The other thing is remove jerk from your cast start-up. Jerk in a spinning cast is rewarded with distance - in a bait-cast, it just promotes backlash (jerk in a fly-cast is a tailing loop) - follow-through with your wrist, but don't snap it.
Rob has also made the move to threadline braid - hold off on this until you're backlash-proof. Begin with light mono, 2-6-lb test.

The Japanese (+ Mike's Reel Repair in BC) even offer upgrade parts that will make Tom's 5500C backlash-proof, though he hasn't dabbled there.

Post 13 Nov 2023, 13:18 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks all for the kind comments; I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

Paveglass -- I'm certainly a BFS enthusiast now, but like Ron said I didn't start until February of last year.

I just spent (and still spend) a bunch of time at the local casting pools practicing.

I was typing up a post with a bunch of other advice, but kept getting the dreaded "Internal Server Error". Maybe that's for the best ...

If you ever get the itch, feel free to visit us on the Another Spin forum. I'm sure we'll be glad to help. And don't be afraid to ask "dumb questions" -- I've already asked most of them ;)

Post 14 Nov 2023, 10:08 • #16 
Piscator
I'll add to this about lawn/practice casting.
When I do this with a fly rod, it's to test a line match with a rod, nothing particularly fun about it, and can be really important to match line belly characteristic with niche application,
e.g., 70' on the 3rd forward stroke for a salt marsh kayak fly rod.
Don't think I've ever test-cast a spinning rod.

With BFS, lawn casting is a world of fun. Educating your thumb is always worth the effort (not something I think much about after 40+ years).
First, before you set up with spendy threadline braid, you need to get that mag brake set (familiarized) on light mono from a cheap, bulk spool.
Then you're dialing in for distance at light end - while you may not need the distance, you should equate it with effort, because low effort means improved accuracy and reliability.

There are so many bait casts you can work on, forehand, backhand, overhead, two-hand overhead, and may find an immediate need on the water, when that big redfish wake is on the wrong side of your forehand cast.
Centrifugal casts, overhead spiral for max-light distance, and especially, forehand reverse-spiral (skip) cast for low trajectory under overhang is always worth practicing.

New Topic Add Reply