It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:40

New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 Jun 2023, 11:01 • #1 
Guide
Hello gang-

You have been so generous with good info on a couple of other topics, I thought I would solicit your opinions. I'm hoping to visit a dear friend in Idaho late this summer. He has two fine boys, the oldest is perhaps seven or eight. His sister lives on the same property, and her son is just a bit younger. I wanted to make a gift to these boys of fly rods and reels, as well as a little fly tying kit I will put together. Perhaps they are just a bit young, but this may very well be the only time I get to see them.

Their property incorporates a a splendid little lake, rich with both trout and bass. A trout stream is also on the property, with other trout water quite near. The boys love to fish, but haven't been introduced to fly fishing yet.

I can't spend a great deal of money, but don't want to give them something which is of poor quality and which would hamper their learning and enjoyment. I have the reels covered, so I am asking for your wisdom regards rods. I'm thinking five weight, as their Dad has a five weight. What might you choose? White River CGR? Orvis Clearwater (about the top of my price range)? I've looked at a number of possibilities. I like the Orvis "25 year guarantee", and also admire the spare tip section that Moonshine provides. Perhaps a Drifter?

I would prefer to give them a nice glass rod, but wonder if a graphite might serve them better as they have still water fishing right outside the front door.

I'd be grateful for any input you have to share...

Post 05 Jun 2023, 11:27 • #2 
Sport
White River CGR rods will take a bit more abuse than graphite rods, look good, and will do a fine job for chasing trout/bass/panfish.

Post 05 Jun 2023, 13:47 • #3 
Sport
Echo Gecko the best kids rod ever https://echoflyfishing.com/project/echogecko/ I have grandkids using them and I have fished them, also very nice casting rods. If those are to much the money the old go to the eagle claw featherlight 7' 5/6 would be good rod. i like it better than the CGR which I find is very noodle. There is some you tubes on the Echo Gecko you my find interesting. That's just my put. Good luck on your quest

Post 05 Jun 2023, 13:51 • #4 
Master Guide
Aventik 7.5' 4wt or 8' 5wt 4pc fiberglass rods that come in 4pc with a nice case. Cheap but usable rods that are about $75 each. They come in different colors so they will not get confused who owns what rod. I like each much more than the CGR rods. Look up the review on her "red Chinese rods' - I think Scud Dog is the original poster. I bought mine on Amazon, but you may be able to find them directly from Aventik.

You could go for vintage used - but they likely will be 2pc rods and hard to transport/ship to them.

Good luck and nice gift idea to give the two kids.

Post 05 Jun 2023, 14:47 • #5 
Master Guide
If a 2 section rod is acceptable, Id go with a pair of FF856. they are reasonably common, you can probably get two of them for less than $200, they will fish the lake just fine from poppers to streamers but should also do fine on flowing water for trout with standard flies.

Post 05 Jun 2023, 14:59 • #6 
Guide
I gave my nephews Eagle Claw Featherlights when they were about the same ages. They got the 7 ft version - the matching line was a Scientific Anglers Air Cel. These are terrific rods for the money. One of the boys rarely fishes but the other still uses his now about 12 years later.

Post 05 Jun 2023, 16:02 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
nctrucker wrote:
White River CGR rods will take a bit more abuse than graphite rods, look good, and will do a fine job for chasing trout/bass/panfish.

Would be a great choice.You can get them on sale also.I feel glass is more forgiving to new and young fly anglers.

Post 05 Jun 2023, 18:35 • #8 
Sport
I'll add the Redington Classic Trout, not glass but nice moderate action for beginner casters. Excellent rods and well within your price range.

Post 06 Jun 2023, 07:43 • #9 
Master Guide
IMHO an Eagle Claw in either 6'6" or 7' would work well and they can take a lot of abuse.

Post 06 Jun 2023, 08:55 • #10 
Guide
we have Echo Gekko for grandkids. It's great. Was recommended by some guides in MT with young kids. I sorta recall they were among the "supply chain/out of stock" victims last summer but i found one either in a flyshop in West Yellowstone or online.
That little "fighting butt" is useful for small hands to allow for a sorta 2-handed cast. The reel in the kit is a pretty good, lightweight, no doubt cheaply made reel, which is great for the context. I also have a couple older, underused Fenwicks that might become grandkids' rods: 755, 756, 786 (but those rods typically want 5 or 6 wt lines; the Gekko we bought about a year ago is marked Trout 4/5, and their website currently shows a Trout 5 wt and Panfish 4 wt -- cannot find exact line wt specs and likely not terribly important). And somewhere in my universe of old, little to never used "back-up" reels i bet i have one that will do the trick for the Fenwick.

Post 06 Jun 2023, 09:41 • #11 
Guide
Thanks to all for the great suggestions!

I liked the idea of finding some vintage Fenwicks, but I decided it might be best to have three shiny, new, identical rods for the three boys. When they are a bit older, if I’m still around, I’ll outfit them with some better gear if they have retained interest.

I ordered three of the “red Chinese” rods in 5 wt, but will furnish the boys with some good old reels to go along with them.

There is a darling little girl in the picture too, so I will have to find out what might be a special gift for her.

The prospect is rather pleasing for an old guy who never had any kids of his own. :)

Post 06 Jun 2023, 11:31 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds good. And don’t know anything about these kids at all, but unless the girl has already rejected fishing, maybe you need four rods? She might not want to be left out of brother/cousin fun.

Post 06 Jun 2023, 12:46 • #13 
Guide
Hahahaha! Not at all impossible!

I intend to make some inquiries in advance of my trip to see what the little Princess might enjoy receiving.

Although, I rather hate the thought of outfitting her with fly gear. She would very likely out fish all of the lads just like my wife out fishes me! :lol

Post 06 Jun 2023, 13:50 • #14 
Guide
Shorter, slower action fly rods will be the ticket....fiberglass new or vintage are perfect for youngsters to learn on.

They don't have the arm strength to really load the longer, stiffer rods that many adults prefer,so the rods that can flex fairly easily work well for them

Post 06 Jun 2023, 19:06 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I'd suggest a 7 1/2 ft 6 wt vintage fiberglass rod. There are many good ones around but The Browning Silaflex would be a great choice. The 7 1/2 ft 6 wt is a #322975 and they are affordable.

But, it sounds like you have a workable solution. Best wishes.

Edit: But, I am with Bulldog below...graphite is not the answer. They are too fragile.

Last edited by paveglass on 07 Jun 2023, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 Jun 2023, 06:44 • #16 
Piscator
I started my young daughters on venerable 6' 6-wt glass rods.
A 6' Phillipson would be a no-brainer for this use, and you can have them roll-casting first time on the water.
Light enough for them to lift and operate, enough line mass to give them feedback.
Compact to fish in tight places.

Sold my 6' 1-pc Lee Wulff Conolon (from Andy) to a friend to fish with his grandson.
His grandson was casting 45' the afternoon he picked it up.

Image Image

Graphite doesn't work in the size rods you want and will stick them with a nebulous tomato stake.
The one exception is a venerable (hens' teeth) Lamiglas Perigree, 7-1/2' graphite/S-glass blend.

Post 09 Jun 2023, 07:31 • #17 
I’d recommend an eagle claw glass. Surprisingly decent rods for little cost (relatively). Plus they are yellow, kids love the bright color.

I’d also think something in the 7-7.5’ range 4-6… though for younger kids I’d suggest lower on that scale.

Also tfo sells foam fighting butts that push on. You could get those and it would give the kids a possibility to have a lower grip and kinda 2 hand the rod. Very similar in nature to the echo gecko (which I would highly recommend if you can get some in your budget but I’d anticipate gett the eagle claw cheaper)

Edit - just looked online and sportsman’s warehouse has some 6.5’ 3/4 and 7’ 5/6s available. I’d think any or all of the above would work. Also overlining these rods is not a bad idea, I’d think it would work well for kids for a while.

Post 09 Jun 2023, 09:17 • #18 
Guide
Definitely something shorter for kids. And, if possible, something with a fighting but like the afore mentioned echo gecko rod. Young kids will automatically want to use two hands. Here's an example of the rod I made for my daughter.

Post 13 Jun 2023, 11:40 • #19 
Guide
Friends-

Please let me thank you again for all of the great suggestions and information. I purchased three of the Aventik "Chinese red" rods from an online vendor. I just went out back, slipped my Hardy Perfect into place and gave one a short trial. Excellent! It is just soft enough to have some life in it, requires very little effort to form a nice loop, and tossed the entirety of my shortened 60 foot Sylk with ease. Very pleased with these, and I would happily fish one.

By the time I had gained some intel on the little girl - "Oh, she's girly, but she loves to fish and kayak with the boys" - the Aventik rods were out of stock. I purchased an Eagle Claw Featherlight, and I must say this one disappointed. I realize that when I was a tadpole, I would have been pleased as punch to have it, but the old man that I am now found it lifeless and stiff as a stick. It tossed the line well, but there was no joy in the process. The reel seat was also defective and unusable. Again, disappointing.

Looks as if I am going to have to rustle up another of the "Chinese red" rods for the little tomgirl! :lol

Post 13 Jun 2023, 11:45 • #20 
Master Guide
They sell a 7’6” 4wt that is very nice. Glad you like the 5wt. I think the 5 is a bit like the FF805, but maybe a hair more flexible in top 1/3 of rod.

Post 13 Jun 2023, 13:04 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
I learned with a 6'6" Wright + McGill 'Featherlight' #5 (with metal ferrule) at that age,
tossing small poppers on a LM Bass/Sunfish lake.

Restored that well-used rod, as an adult back in 2009:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8143&p=58873&hilit=featherlight#p58873

For young kids to learn I agree with most:
find (or build) a short-ish (7' or less) #5 or #6 weight slow-taper fiberglass rod.

Post 13 Jun 2023, 19:44 • #22 
Guide
corlay-

I read your post. Too bad the photos have gone astray, but it must have been exremely satisfying to "polish up" that old friend.Good on 'ya!

New Topic Add Reply