It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:57

New Topic Add Reply
Fishing the Fly Atom
Post 23 May 2023, 11:34 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Caught LOTS of pretty gills on the Fly Atom,6' Cabelas Prime 3wt.6' Browning Sili last 2 mornings.A little deer hair bee was the hot fly.The Fly Atom with a stripper 2 guides and tip is NOT a very good casting rod but only needed 20 feet or less.The 3wt prime is just a blast on bluegills.The browning Sili is a great little 5wt that i fish the most and will throw 40 feet easily and rollcasts beautifully where no back cast is possible.

Got several of these 8-9 inch class .This pond is highly pressured but some decent fish can be had.Lots of nice bass were on beds also.

A little hard to see these males doing their nest making tornado dance.The lake had signs posted that said not to keep and eat ANY fish as it was just treated with weed killer.People were still filling buckets.One guy walked up and stood next to me and started fishing within a few feet.I told him about the signage and he said he did not care and liked eating them.Oh well.

Re: Fishing the Fly Atom
Post 23 May 2023, 11:52 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Need to see more pictures of FLy Atom!

Honkin bluegills, nothing like that up here.

Post 23 May 2023, 12:25 • #3 
Guide
Hersh,

Looks like a fun time. I love fishing for blue gills, especially the big ones. They put up a decent fight. I concur, I'd like to see some more pics of the fly atom!

Gary

Post 25 May 2023, 12:47 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Fly Atom Pics and my other favorite bluegill rods

I found the source of my trouble cating the Fly Atom.

I have a cople of these little 73o hardy clones.The Fly Atom is a 6wt and i lawn/inside the house cast it with a 6wt on one of these reels,This one is a 4wt peach line.It felt like it was not loading because it wasn't.I overline by 1 most of my vintage rods to load close and they rollcast better for me.

Post 25 May 2023, 15:02 • #5 
Master Guide
Awesome hog bluegills! My home lake bluegills are generally around 7" unfortunately but still filletable. Never heard of a fly atom until today (thanks for sharing!) I do like my browning 322970 (and browning reel) but havent tried it on bluegill.

Post 25 May 2023, 19:40 • #6 
Guide
Nice plump gills!

I like the looks of that Browning Silaflex with the Eagle Claw clone, sharp combo.

Post 25 May 2023, 21:10 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Russ-i love the little Browning.Still have never fished the 975.Mike -These are the nicest bluegills i have caught locally in years.But these are small lakes and ponds and all public so they once word is out they will get pounded.The one i fished the other day had limited access as they were reconfiguring a burm on one shore so the fish had a couple years to recover.A more wealthy nearby town is all C&R so there are some good fish in the retention ponds but the high end homeowners really love their lawns so a lot of fertilizer ends up in these ponds choking off most shorelines by mid June.It has been nice catching such nice fish 15 minutes from home.The bass should start hitting very soon.Had a great trip to So Illinois in mid April and caught 100s of nice crappies,Been a great spring.

Post 27 May 2023, 10:37 • #8 
Master Guide
Dang Hersh ..
You and Chaoticscott are the only Fly Atom owners I know that have the original tube .
As an East Coast guy seeing that Sykesville Pa label made me smile .

I guess that means I gotta get off my duff and fish mine .
Tight lines in 23
Scotto

Last edited by ottobahn on 27 May 2023, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 May 2023, 10:58 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I got it off the auction site years ago.Like 20 dollars.NOS I believe from an east coast fly shop.Kind of a novelty thing.This was the first time I fished it.Even tho I used the wrong line it was quite fun.

Post 27 May 2023, 12:03 • #10 
Master Guide
Here’s a link to an article showing the old Ideal Proucts Inc building in PA
https://www.thecourierexpress.com/news/ ... cbda7.html

I know that Ideal Products inc. sold Heddon Private label rods .
But the fly atom doesn’t seem to be Heddon based .
I’m keeping it legit with a Daiwa 730 just like yours .

Will report back
Scotto

Post 27 May 2023, 13:41 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
What is the length of a Fly Atom? I've been looking for one unsuccessfully for many years. I have been able to get hold of an A&F "Banty 44" which is 4'4" (52 inches). Fun casting little rod, but certainly not a light line rod.

Post 27 May 2023, 20:06 • #12 
Master Guide
Hiked in with the Fly Atom to one of my Honey Holes

Few shots rigged up with a bandaid on the reel foot to keep the Daiwa 730 snugged
I’ve loaded this reel up with some Vintage
SA Concept WF5 .
Here’s some of my favorite lines to use on Banty rods .. Short Head Rocket/Torpedo taper with a few DT’s thrown in .

Gonna hit em with the Madam X yellow jacket

Hooked up …

Whippersnappers all over my Madam X

Here’s one that got nipped on the tail …

Managed a few nicer ones like this one

After a few dozen fish on the Madam X I Switched up to a crystal bugger and was still slaying em until I had to go home and make dinner ..

The day is not complete until I get my streamer fix on ;)
Let them go so they can grow…

I’m happy to report that even with rusty&bent a$$ guides , beat cork , and a band aided reel foot the fly atom proved itself to be a fully serviceable Banty Rod for small creek fishing

It’s much better on the water than in the backyard…

Barry ,
The Fly Atom is exactly the same size as your A&F Banty .. 4ft - 4inches.
Here they are side by side .

Tight lines in 23
Scotto

Last edited by ottobahn on 27 May 2023, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 May 2023, 20:12 • #13 
Master Guide
Wow Scotto! Well done in style!

Post 27 May 2023, 21:22 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Scotto,

Thanks for the comparison.

Are they similar casting or is their advantage one over the other.

Also, does the Daiwa 730 balance the rod or is it a skosh heavy?

Barry

Post 28 May 2023, 12:20 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Nice outing Scott.Will be taking it another shot with the RIGHT line after the long weekend.Although i caught several and a few really nice ones the rod just would not load well.

This has been my best fly this season so far.Crappies and BGs love it,A little sz 12 deer hair bee is also good as it floats in the surface film.

Post 28 May 2023, 12:29 • #16 
Guide
Those redbreast seem to really like the madamX but I bet just about any hair bug would work. When they're really on I've had days when it seems like they would see the fly coming in the air and grab it simultaneously with the fly reaching the water.

Post 22 Oct 2023, 11:43 • #17 
Master Guide
The fly Atom Strikes again .

Finally found my system 4 reel . So maybe I can get that Banty Vs Fly Atom challenge going .. :)

Post 22 Oct 2023, 18:05 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice,Had a great spring and early summer then my MIL got sick and sicker.1o weeks in 4 different hospitals all around the Chicago area then passed in late August.Great lady sorely missed.Sorry off topic i know but this post reminded me of how care free and fishing was great just a few months ago.It is stocked trout season here now so iwill be trying to get a few on flies and the Fly Atom will get some use.

New Topic Add Reply