It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:15

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 May 2023, 16:40 • #1 
Guide
I’ve never tried one but would like to know if it would make a difference on a 2 weight.
Anyone have experience?
Thanks

Michael

Post 21 May 2023, 16:57 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Do. Search for “textured fly lines”. You will find much information.

Post 21 May 2023, 23:32 • #3 
Guide
Of course. Thanks. There’s lots there.

Post 23 May 2023, 09:47 • #4 
Guide
I have only tried one textured line, so that probably doesn't really count as experience, lol. I tried a 6 weight WF floater from one of the major brands. Caveat is that most of my stream fishing is in the southern mountains, so I don't really shoot a lot of line regularly. I fished it mainly from the boat on lakes, where I typically shoot line. It worked just as described on the package, and seemed to have less friction when sliding through the guides than any of my smooth lines (from the same and other makers). I fished it enough times to feel I gave it a good test (if I pulled off good casts, of course). In short, it worked just fine.

That being said, I just could not get past the feel or sound of the textured finish going through the guides. I just wondered if I was sanding my guides in the process. I was probably just full of crap on that one, but I decided I had more fun with the smooth lines. I took it off the reel and gave it to a young friend who wanted to try one, and he loves it. So there is my objective and subjective wee dab of experience. Don't let my bias keep you from trying one out.

Post 23 May 2023, 10:15 • #5 
Piscator
When I sold my Heddon 8' 1-3/4f to my buddy Mick, he lawn cast it with "Supple Trout" Airflo Ridgeline.
He was giggling nonstop and jumped to write me a check.

Post 23 May 2023, 10:31 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Difference in what ? A textured line will need more frequent cleaning--no big deal. Other than that, claims about distance are irrelevant for a 2-weight, where delicacy and precision would be the goal. And guides are easily replaced even if a more textured line causes more wear. Personally, I think this is because they hold normal deposits of silicates more readily, so if not cleaned more often, they are predictably more abrasive. But that's no big deal either. A line is easy enough to clean, and--worst case scenario--guides are easy to replace.

So it comes down to the difference someone is looking for. The texture or finish of a line is most important to me as to how it affects my touch/feel/grip on the line in casting and manipulating line while fishing. Some texture makes them less slippery in fingertips with poor feel. In heavier line weights, I want to be able to slip-shoot and stop line on the backcast. If you can grasp a smooth line between fingers without its slipping, I'd say there's no significant advantage or disadvantage concerning texture. It's pretty slight anyhow. Get used to the line you have and then decide if a line with a slightly different taper profile would be better. The texture is secondary, if relevant at all.

Post 23 May 2023, 13:11 • #7 
I don’t believe they are much better than other lines but they do seem to be a little more durable. I don’t mind the noise but it’s not my favorite.

Given the option I’ll buy the non textured almost all the time but it’s mostly personal preference. On a 2wt I’d think the difference (aside from the noise) wouldn’t be noticeable.

Post 24 May 2023, 05:21 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
On rods with guides that run well, textured lines don't make much difference. On some older rods that maybe could do with an extra guide or two (or any rod where the line doesn't run as well as it could) I can appreciate the lower friction afforded by textured lines. It's not so much the shooting as the better control achieved with the hauling hand.

Personally I don't mind the sound of textured lines and I am thick skinned so there are no downsides to me. All lines work best when clean and dressed.

As far as directly answering your question, changing lines does make a difference but you are the only one who can determine if that difference is appreciable and worthwhile for you.

My experience is that textured lines are especially slicker compared to smooth lines when somewhat dirty (as would happen after even a few hours fishing in anything but the clearest water). Freshly cleaned and dressed, there's very little difference with a good smooth line.

Post 24 May 2023, 08:13 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I've tried nothing modern but I used Masterline Chancellor Chalkstream fly lines back in the day and they had a bumpy texture. I remember they were much better at shooting than the 444's I used previously if that's a fair comparison.

I also currently use real silk lines on my bamboo rods that really zing so in my experience texture augments the ability to shoot line more easily.

BTW - The noise doesn't bother me, heck I like reels that click... ;)

I don't know about most folks but because I am most often fishing someplace where I don't have a lot of backcast room, I shoot line on almost every cast I make so a textured or a clean smooth line makes a difference to me.

OT but related, when the Cortland Sylk first came out, it had a "stickiness" problem. I tried one and quickly got rid of it because that stickiness was most noticeable when I tried to shoot some line...

Bottom line, even though the OP is talking about a 2wt line and one would assume that means no 40 foot line shoots; it's a big help to more easily shoot even a few feet of line, especially when casts are short with not much line belly involved.

Post 24 May 2023, 11:28 • #10 
Guide
I sold Airflo lines years ago......like some of the long sink-tips,but none of the floating lines, "ridge" lines included

Don't see the advantage, or need, for the ridges in floating fly lines

Post 24 May 2023, 15:51 • #11 
Guide
I own one textured line, it is not noticeably better than my other lines. I don't like the noise and it gets gunky fast. It does shoot a little longer, if that's a thing for you. It's nice don't get me wrong. The noise is kinda annoying for me.

Post 29 May 2023, 05:49 • #12 
Guide
Thanks for the great feedback guys. Much appreciated.
I clean my lines after each day of fishing . I find that most important for a 2 weight.
A cast of 25 feet of line plus leader length would be about average. The rod is a Steffen 7’3” 2/3 wt. It’s such a nice taper and I’m just interested in squeezing every ounce of performance and versatility out of it.
I guess the only way to find out is to try one of the many available.

Post 29 May 2023, 15:34 • #13 
Guide
The noise is a non-starter for me. Paid too much money for one once, fished it once, put it in a drawer, and now i dont recall where it is. If these lines cast farther (and i kinda think they do), then I just need to learn to cast better or find closer fish. Ooh, ooh, there's an idea i need to remember: just get closer to the fish.

the notion that textured lines might enhance line handling, especially when fingers are cold, etc., is interesting. For the moment i lean towards sticking my hands in a pocket once in awhile and leaving my noisy textured line in the drawer.

Post 31 May 2023, 20:59 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Every textured line I've ever used has performed better (distance wise) than non-textured. Personally, I never really liked the feel of them in mt hands. Some are better/worse than others). That said, one of my favorite musky lines happens to be the Airflo Streamer Max Short, which is pretty rough on the hands....nothing a little athletic tape or stripping guards don't solve.

If you're only casting 25' on average, and for little stream trout that don't require much more than that, what's the point though?

Post 01 Jun 2023, 03:08 • #15 
Guide
Clarkman , thanks for the input. Here in NZ we quite often hook larger trout and I spook less fish using a 2 wt. so just trying to maximise potential.
After reading the replies I’m thinking there may be more drawbacks than advantages. Namely noise, roughness in hands and picking up dirt.

Post 01 Jun 2023, 13:47 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
The Sharkskin line is very hard on guides and lineguards on reels.They do cast very well though.

Post 01 Jun 2023, 14:41 • #17 
Guide
I have been experimenting with the SA Textured DT fly line. I have to say that I am not a big fan. First thing is the line collects dirt and debris like no bodies business. I have to admit I probably wash my lines about every 5-10 outings, and at that interval it starts to feel like a chore. This textured line pretty much needs to be cleaned EVERYTIME you go fish, you might actually need to clean it during the outing. Once this line is dirty it looses all of the benefits it had as a 130 dollar fly line. I know I am probably sounding kind of lazy, but I feel like it needs some serious maintenance on a constant basis. The line is supple and does float well, but we are talking about relatively small margins of error here, and nothing that really makes it stand out from a quality smooth fly line.

I know that some have said the texture reduces friction and allows you to shoot line, but I am fishing a DT line. I should be casting the line and not shooting line with this thing. I have tried to find all kinds of empirical evidence from internet sources, as to the effect the texturing has on guides and reels, but most of it is anecdotal in nature. I must say that if a fly line is damaging the skin on your fingers that it is likely going to groove your guides, it might take several thousand casting cycles, but I am sure it will, especially if its not a clean line. So I would recommend proceeding with caution, its a $130 mistake I will not make in the future.

Post 02 Jun 2023, 00:09 • #18 
Guide
I think I’ll stick with the smooth lines .
Thanks all for your time and input.

Post 15 Jun 2023, 14:01 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
magicmike-The line I saw cut a ridge in a line guard in just a few minutes and it was a brand new line.Another person told me that he knew of one that wiped out a whole set of guides on his friends line.I think the Airflo ridgeline is probably OK.

New Topic Add Reply