It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:25

New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 May 2023, 19:45 • #1 
Master Guide
Took a day off last week to take care of some personal business and to decompress after went out and did some fishing. Forgot to bring a shirt, so ended up in chest waders with a dress shirt, so I was looking pretty dapper on the stream. After not having a lot of success in my usual spots - water was lower than I was expecting based on recent streamflow data - I went upstream. Had not been to this section in years, as it used to be pretty crowded. There were 5 anglers on my way upstream, so I was just going to watch for fish and see if there was any open space for me to drop in.

I could see some fish working an open area without any anglers - so I slipped into the water and worked upstream slowly. There were some fish occasionally breaking the surface - so I tied on RS2 after seeing some small bugs flying about and gave it a try. After seeing a few refusals and seeing the occasional larger mayfly that looked to be about a size 14 Hendrickson - I tied on a sz 14 Quill Gordon and cast it under a fallen tree where a couple of trout were working. On the second drift this nice brown rose and took the fly. I was able to strip it in and get it in the net. It took a few attempts to get it in the net and it would have made for an embarrassing video with all the contortions. I was a bit excited as it was a nice chunky fish.

Was using an Aventik 7'6" 4wt with a Cabelas reel and line. I was using a Fenwick 805 earlier and switched it up as I do like this Aventik rod and wanted to give it some use. This rod is not fancy, but it casts nicely and being a 4pc rod it is easy to throw in the car for quick trips. Didn't measure it, but I would estimate it to be 17" as it was as long as my fingertips to the bend of my elbow.

Post 15 May 2023, 21:18 • #2 
Guide
Beauty!

Post 15 May 2023, 22:34 • #3 
Guide
Great outing! Looks like the rod is a good one. Thanks for sharing the report. BTW, my dad used to stop on the creekbanks when he was traveling about to meet with clients, and would often pull on his waders over his shirt and tie. You're in good company!

Post 16 May 2023, 19:09 • #4 
Master Guide
Thanks for the comments BigHeavy and MtPisgah.

I was talking to a nice Cabela's associate in the Fly Fishing department here in MA last year and he was telling me he was a salesman that had territory in NY/PA region and he would often stop, throw on the waders and fish in his shirt and tie in between calls/meeting - just like your Dad MtPisgah.

I was down your way early last month and it was beautiful, but I did not get into any fish. It was a bit humbling - the water was up a bit, but I still was very bummed out that I did not have a better catching experience. Scenery was beautiful, rivers and creeks beautiful and we had a great trip exploring the Biltmore grounds and Asheville, Bryson City and GSMNP, but my fishing confidence was a bit shaken. Looking forward to going back again in the future.

Pete

Post 16 May 2023, 21:34 • #5 
Guide
Well Labrax, that just means you need to come back down! Let me know when you do.

Post 17 May 2023, 10:02 • #6 
Guide
Sweet looking fish and I love the way the sun is catching and changing the colors of the rod blank and fly line too in the photo.

Post 18 May 2023, 08:53 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Nice ! My 7'7" Aventik s-glass 4wt has caught me some nice fish, too. I like it with an Airflo WF4F, the old superdri elite model.

Post 24 May 2023, 19:07 • #8 
Master Guide
Thanks Russ and Odonata for the replies. I do enjoy that orange color - and have a Fenglass that is a nice lovely orange too. I have been using an old Orvis Zebra line on it, the Cabelas line and a DT Maxcatch line that works pretty well, but good to hear that the older Airflo works well too - I used to use them for SW fishing years ago, but did not get any for the lower line weights, but have been looking at them on Sierra.

New Topic Add Reply