It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:41

New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 May 2023, 23:54 • #1 
Sport
As a newcomer to fiberglass fishing, I can say that I’ve never had so much fun fishing until I met glass. I would compare my own experiences to “seeing color for the first time” and it makes me want to try out every single glass rod out there. With all the information I have learned here, I figured it was time to share a success I’ve had with glass recently. I’m horrible at picture taking so this was the best I could do!

I’ve been doing a lot of warm water fishing recently in California and have taken my FF807 for bass fishing and most recently tried carp fishing in the central California area. The carp fishing was unsuccessful as the warm weather caused an algae bloom which reduced visibility for sight fishing even though I would occasional see them rise.

Later in the afternoon I witnessed a lot of shad boiling all around so I decided to switch from carp flies to bass streamers. (Throwing streamers on a DT7 line with glass is difficult and something I need to practice!). The day was very hot and but eventually hooked onto this monster of a catfish that showed itself immediately by cartwheeling out of the water. It took about 10 minutes to land him with 2x tippet but loud cheers when we managed to get him in the net.

This is my second catfish ever, the first on a fly rod and the biggest stillwater fish I’ve caught in my life. It was well over 20 pounds! The FF807 did not break a sweat (although i wish I had a fighting butt) and I felt very connected to the fish the whole time. Fish was released to grow into a bigger monster for the future!

Post 14 May 2023, 06:19 • #2 
Sport
Whoa, that's awesome! I've never caught a catfish - do they routinely jump?

Post 14 May 2023, 07:05 • #3 
Master Guide
Well done! FF 807 is a great rod.

Post 14 May 2023, 08:04 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Wow what a fish on the fly.Still warm water you never really know what you will catch.Glass gives you that added shock absorbtion to land some really big fish.That is really big channel cat nice job.

Post 14 May 2023, 08:05 • #5 
Guide
Really nice fish, congrats!! Bet that was a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing

Post 14 May 2023, 08:20 • #6 
Guide
Whoa that's a big 'un...congrats, well done!

Post 14 May 2023, 10:51 • #7 
Guide
Wow, that's great! Most of the catfish I have occasionally caught on a streamer are a small fraction of that one, but they do typically fight hard and jump and roll, even the small ones. For streamers, you might enjoy trying a WF8 on your rod, with a reasonably short leader. Works for me on my FF80 for poppers and smaller streamers. Casts well, and less work than the DT for that use, at least for me. Thanks for sharing your great outing with us.

Post 14 May 2023, 10:58 • #8 
Guide
Great job! I was fascinated not only by this giant fish, but also by the rod and reel combo you are using.

Post 14 May 2023, 12:48 • #9 
Guide
Nice fish, I always love oddball surprises. The 807 is a great rod. It’s little sibling the 806 is also excellent.

Last edited by Running Ape on 14 May 2023, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

Post 14 May 2023, 14:43 • #10 
Guide
Nice rod and Nice fish!

Post 14 May 2023, 21:32 • #11 
Sport
Thanks guys! This one jumped only immediately after I hooked him but went on a few good runs. The oddball surprises are always fun and it made the trip. This was the week I caught all the "ugly" looking fish. I went striper fishing in the bay two days later with my graphite fly rod and instead of catching a striper or halibut I pulled in a 23 inch lingcod! That one took me almost into took me into most of my running line! Also released back to get bigger. Won't post the photo as it not a "glass" catch. :lol

Post 18 May 2023, 20:36 • #12 
Sport
Nice fish. Keep up the good work.
I’ve got an ff807 I use for steelhead. Wonderful rod for sure.

Post 19 May 2023, 08:13 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Yikes, what a monster :) That must have been exciting !

Post 19 May 2023, 17:30 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
wow that's a big slob of a catfish.. well done !

practically anything will jump when hooked in shallow water.. I've had carp do it, showy jump then the long run, it's great. We used to fish for big African catfish in the spring when they came prowling the shallows for anything edible. They look kind of like eels with catfish heads, long powerful bodies. These things would flip themselves completely over into a head stand, tarpon-style..

I love that you have a Fenwick Class 2 on the rod, a perfectly matched outfit.

New Topic Add Reply