It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:22

New Topic Add Reply
Sila B. Flexin’
Post 12 May 2023, 20:18 • #1 
Guide
Ducked out of work early today for a quick outing amongst mellow raindrops

Browning Silaflex 322975
Heddon 310 Reel
S/A Frequency Full Intermediate line - 6 wt (160 grain)
Black Wooly Bugger

Get new wiper blades and then fish, or fish and then get wiper blades - your choice!

I’m sure there’s a story of interest here

Nice paunch developing on this white bass

That spot looks fishy - just tucked out of main current

Fish on

Stout lil' classic glass bending smallie!

Re: Sila B. Flexin’
Post 12 May 2023, 20:38 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Nice bend and big fun.

Post 12 May 2023, 21:16 • #3 
Guide
Looks great, thanks for taking us along! I have not tried an intermediate line like that. How do you like the way it fishes?

Post 12 May 2023, 21:45 • #4 
Guide
Nice successful quick outing it appears. I love smallmouth fishing. Great fish to target. Thanks for sharing Russ! Did you grab some new blades when you finished?!

Post 12 May 2023, 21:48 • #5 
Guide
I've come to enjoy full intermediate lines (~1.5 inches per second sink rate) and probably use them more than any other type of line. Streamers and intermediate lines are like peanut butter and jelly in my fishing (almost all warm water).

They cast with a nice feel just like a floating line but are easier to cast as they are narrow and cheat the wind. They also break the surface tension and get under wind/wave chop on the pond/lake. Here in northern Illinois it seems like the wind is always blowing.

This article by the legendary Dave Whitlock got me focused on them:
https://davewhitlock.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/FFMS-130022-ILINE.pdf

Post 12 May 2023, 22:16 • #6 
Master Guide
Nice report and bass! I’m a big fan of intermediate lines for warmwater streamer fishing. The intermediate line is great for fishing 1-2’ below the surface and keeps the fly at a more consistent depth on the retrieve than floating or sink tip lines.

Post 13 May 2023, 03:13 • #7 
Guide
russ17vols71 wrote:
I've come to enjoy full intermediate lines (~1.5 inches per second sink rate) and probably use them more than any other type of line. Streamers and intermediate lines are like peanut butter and jelly in my fishing (almost all warm water).

They cast with a nice feel just like a floating line but are easier to cast as they are narrow and cheat the wind. They also break the surface tension and get under wind/wave chop on the pond/lake. Here in northern Illinois it seems like the wind is always blowing.

This article by the legendary Dave Whitlock got me focused on them:
https://davewhitlock.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/FFMS-130022-ILINE.pdf

That Whitlock article is great stuff! Thank you for sharing that.

Post 13 May 2023, 08:07 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Awesome!

Post 13 May 2023, 15:30 • #9 
Master Guide
Excellent Whitlock article. Makes me want to try an intermediate for different applications. I've been fishing my one clear line since the 90s. Seems like with age it's becoming a quicker sinker. Have to break down and get a new one I suppose.

Post 13 May 2023, 15:35 • #10 
Master Guide
Nice report, and nice Silaflex. Now I’m having second thoughts about the one I have up for sale. Might try an intermediate line on it.

Post 14 May 2023, 06:20 • #11 
Sport
Thanks for sharing the Whitlock article, and nice pics! Fishing intermediate line has been growing on me lately as well. Good stuff!

Post 15 May 2023, 20:55 • #12 
Master Guide
Awesome post on multiple levels !!
I wanna come fish “fireball hole”

Post 16 May 2023, 12:53 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Nice Russ,have the same rod and also a clear intermediate on a Daiwa 706.Still a clicker but with a drag that can be tigghtened down in case i tang.le with a big carp or cat.Used to fish that stretch of water years ago.I now fish it a lot further downstream near the end.The white bass must be year round residents to be that far from the big rivers,My most used rods is the little 6' 5wt version of that rod.They really fly under the radar ,really well made rods that cast wonderfully.Have you guys run into any hybrid stripers?The DP seems to have some big ones and nobody seems to know how they got there, escaped from the cooling lakes is the rumor or maybe the Fox chain like the musky have.Guys are catching Musky in the DP east of rt 83 last couple years.Our rivers seem to be doing better every season.

Post 17 May 2023, 09:59 • #14 
Guide
Angry Viking,
Ha I didn't buy any wiper blades, although next time I'm near that Napa I should run in and buy some of those old school tree shaped air fresheners. As my spring fishing gets going my car has taken on a bit of a fishy aroma that my daughter is quite vocal about!

Hersh,
I haven't run into any hybrid stripers, although truth be told I'll need to study up to make sure I could tell one if I came across it. While I've never landed or hooked a musky I do come across conventional and fly anglers targeting them from time to time. I always tip my cap to them with how dedicated and persistent they are casting heavy gear.

Post 18 May 2023, 08:51 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Russ.I have been catching pike for many years in the local rivers.Never on a fly,have never really tried.So the 975 casts the intermediate well?I use my 7' fly fox usually but I would rather a slightly longer rod.There is some good local fishing.My 40 years in the trades in the metro area I have crossed every creek stream and river day dreaming about what might be below the bridge.I have only caught musky in Canada myself.

Post 18 May 2023, 09:04 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Hard to beat that !

Post 19 May 2023, 17:38 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
excellent day out, thank you..

I used to fish an intermediate constantly on still waters, that line wore out and somehow didn't replace it. I have a new line now, SA Mastery 6wt, which seems to sink a lot faster that its billed sink rate. It did get a gnarly little pike last year, on a Silaflex 022985..

Post 21 May 2023, 00:01 • #18 
Sport
I love bass fishing! Awesome rod and green reel!

Post 24 May 2023, 19:13 • #19 
Master Guide
I really like the look of that Sila-Flex rod. I have the 7' model in fantastic shape and have not had an opportunity to fish it yet - it made it to the trunk of the car last weekend, but did not make it out as I chose another rod with more length. That river overpass looks like a few I have out here - next time I head into the office - I am going to give the river that runs by the building another shot using this post as inspiration.

Post 24 May 2023, 20:02 • #20 
Guide
Looking forward to seeing & reading about what you might summon up from the river

New Topic Add Reply