It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:45

New Topic Add Reply
Indicator rod
Post 12 Mar 2023, 20:29 • #1 
Guide
I need to start using an indicator ( bobber ) more often when fishing nymphs through really slow moving water and pools.

What line weight rod do you use? I have a 4 wt and a 6wt Steffen. I'm not sure if a 4wt can cast a medium sized (about 3/4 inch) indicator? I'm sure the 6 will, but seems like overkill for the fish. Probably just have to live with that. Maybe this is the place for a 5wt?

thanks

Re: Indicator rod
Post 12 Mar 2023, 20:41 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
For this kind of fishing, I like a longish 6-weight with a stiffish butt section—good strong hook-sets and casting the rigs. The 6-weight is more about casting the indicator and usually two nymphs with tungsten beads on them. The longer length makes mending easier. Personally, I'd steer away from a 5-weight, but with smaller flies or less weight, that could work just fine.

In the past, I've used an Epic 686, and I'm currently using a McFarland GTX for this kind of fishing. Both are 8.5' long.

Post 12 Mar 2023, 20:44 • #3 
Master Guide
Would something like a new zealand indicator work? I really like them for unweighted and small lightly weighted nymphs. I bet you could make them work if you dont need to get more than about two feet down. They are easy to cast on 3 and 4 weight rods. They are the only type of indicator I carry anymore, then again I seldom fish creeks more than a few feet deep or wide.

If youre fishing heavy nymphs, using split shot, or trying to get more than 2-3 ft deep Id use a regular plastic indicator and a 6-7 weight rod with a stiffer tip.

Post 12 Mar 2023, 23:11 • #4 
Master Guide
I’ve used my Steffen 8’ 5/6 with an indicator in the past with some success. I think an indicator and split shot is too much to ask of the Steffen 3/4. Like BrookieBoy said, a wool NZ indicator makes nymphing more tolerable on glass rods. A Belgian cast is also helpful to throw nymphs on a glass rod.

Glacier makes a good point - a faster glass taper like the Epic 686 or McFarland GTX makes nymphing easier than the Steffen taper. Unfortunately, I don’t know if any glass rod will out-nymph a 10’ 4wt graphite rod though.

Post 12 Mar 2023, 23:34 • #5 
Master Guide
Which line weight is best for your situation is really going to depend on how heavy the overall setup is, and how large and deep, the waters are that your fishing. The tapers on individual rods will come into play too.

To me a 3/4 in indicator would be for supporting moderate amounts of weight. That sounds like five weight territory to me. Also sounds like the fish you're targeting are on the smaller side, so perhaps the waters are smaller as well? If that's the case a smaller lighter indicator with less weight underneath would work also.

Having said all, it sounds like you NEED a fiberglass 5wt. It's the perfect all around size trout rod.

Post 13 Mar 2023, 00:21 • #6 
Master Guide
I think you may also get away with a 3/8” indicator or larger NZ tubing size and wool. I have a FF856-2 and think that is good for nymphing larger water with reasonable beadheaded nymphs 12-18 hook size. I nymph smaller water with 4wt with a 14/16 fly and a 18/20 bead head a lot.

Post 13 Mar 2023, 04:40 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
lone wolf wrote:
I need to start using an indicator ( bobber ) more often when fishing nymphs through really slow moving water and pools.

What line weight rod do you use? I have a 4 wt and a 6wt Steffen. I'm not sure if a 4wt can cast a medium sized (about 3/4 inch) indicator? I'm sure the 6 will, but seems like overkill for the fish. Probably just have to live with that. Maybe this is the place for a 5wt?

thanks

Indicators fish just like bobbers with bait, in other words, size is determined by the weight of the fly being presented. Unless you can't see your indicator I have never felt the need to use one larger than 1/4" and on rare occasions when fishing a heavily weighted streamer MAYBE 1/2".

That being said I can cast them on 3wts if necessary...

Yarn works good too although it is more wind resistant but even with yarn I am going small.

Post 13 Mar 2023, 08:17 • #8 
Guide
Thanks for the input guys. I suppose what I should do is just try my 4wt and see what I can cast with it. It will only be 1 fly with a tiny tungsten bead and probably a half inch indicator. The casts will be 25 ft max; maybe the 4 will work. thx again.

Post 13 Mar 2023, 09:22 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
lone wolf:

My go to non-yarn indicator is the smallest size of the football shaped Lightning Strike with the rubber insert (lots of colors & easy on/off) that is maybe a 1/4 inch at the fattest part. I fish bead heads as big as a #10 on 3wts using that indicator all the time with no issues.

I guess what I am trying to say is with your application you don't need to even use something as large as a 1/2 inch.

Have fun!!

Post 13 Mar 2023, 10:20 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
If you can get away with using the smallest indicators (like the size sm Airlocks), the 4wt will turn over that stuff. That said, I like my Steffen 5/6 with a 6wt line to give myself more versatility. That is, if I'm using glass. If I'm going for overall efficiency, I'm using my 3wt euro rod (10'6" with a pretty stiff butt).

Again though, if you're only casting 25' with small flies and a small indi, your 4wt will probably work really well.

Post 13 Mar 2023, 18:09 • #11 
Master Guide
I have had success using an Orvis Superfine Glass 8.5’ 6wt rod to deliver a 2-3 fly rig consisting of a size 8 Rubberlegs, one or two beadhead nymphs, 2 AB split shot weights, and a larger-sized (3/4” or even 1”) thingamabobber. This works well in medium-sized freestone rivers with lots of dynamics - where you want the weight to drive the flies down quickly, and you want a larger strike indicator so it doesn’t get dragged down with the rest of the terminal tackle. The overall rig is probably about as heavy (and tangle-prone) as anything I fish. Roll casting with it is hard - I prefer a water-load flip-flop cast if I have the space behind me.

Regarding it being “too much rod for the fish”… one thing I love about glass rods is that even little fish are fun to catch with bigger rods.

All the above said, if you’re really fishing slow water, then you should be able to get away with much less weight and a smaller indicator, which will support use of a lighter rod.

Post 13 Mar 2023, 21:48 • #12 
Guide
I don't use bobbers a lot, but have fun with them when the mood strikes. I usually use 6 weight glass, so I don't have a lot of experience with light rods. I use small cork floats. Something I have been playing with for small water is using foam ear plugs. They are dirt cheap. They are super light weight. You can easily trim them to any size or shape you want with any kind of fly tying scissors. I have tried heating a needle and pushing a hole through, and cutting a slit down one side, with pretty much equal success.

Post 14 Mar 2023, 08:25 • #13 
Guide
I like using those stick on foam indicators in bright orange. Easy to cast and I can sometimes see them.

Post 14 Mar 2023, 09:27 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I use inexpensive round and pill shaped Pompano floats when I fish flies on a spinning rod. They would work just fine as fly rod indicators with a toothpick as a peg or they can used as a slip float with a knot-less leader.

They come in lots of sizes and colors with a hole already drilled through.

Post 14 Mar 2023, 19:17 • #15 
Guide
Give wool or yarn a serious try on your 4 wt.

I use wool in a New Zealand or Dorsey indicator set up quite often with my Steffen 8’ 3/4 and it works well with 2 weighted nymphs and sometimes a small shot. I was really surprised with how much weight those indicators support especially if you put some floatant in the yarn or wool. Also experiment with how small you can cut the wool — easier casting and still suspends a lot of weight. I prefer using wool over yarn - it floats all day with a little floatant.

Just my $0.02

Post 17 Mar 2023, 20:28 • #16 
Guide
I regularly fish smaller bead head nymphs below the smallest size thing-a-ma-bobber or a Dorsey indicator on a 4 weight. Usually in the slower larger pools or ponds. For a lot of my nymph fishing I like the style like the old Scientific Anglers indicators that thread onto the leader and look like a piece of fly line. They sink with the leader but are usually visible in fairly clear water. Harry Murray has given me quite a few of these over the years. He sells them in his shop but they seem expensive for what you get.

Post 18 Mar 2023, 08:56 • #17 
Sport
Fwiw, I've fished midges with yarn indicators on my glass 2 weight, albeit on small water. I wouldn't try multiple fly rigs that way though

Post 22 Mar 2023, 19:48 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Here is how I fish nymphs, I have spent some time trying to figure this out and I am convinced that high-sticking without a floating indicator is the answer. A floating indicator will normally move faster than the water at the bottom of the river where the trout are holding causing the fly to drag too fast to look natural. The same thing will happen if your line is on the water adding downstream drag, so I use a long enough leader that only monofilament in the long leader or long tippet is in the water (because the small cross section of the leader will not cause the fly to drag) with a properly placed sighter and sinking indicator that I might be able to see under the surface. The point fly needs to be right at the bottom and moving at the slower pace of water at that depth.

Watching this video, don't be fooled that I am a great high stick nympher, I am not, I just happened to be at the right place at the right time after they had released a pod of stocker rainbows into the river when I filmed this. They stayed podded up there for three days and I was able to catch and release a bunch of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAQ8WNB ... Z2&index=2

BTW, the rod I use for this is a graphite 12 ft, 3 wt from MaxCatch. The tip needs to be much faster than my normal Lamiglas favorites because the moment is so brief to hook a fish that the flex in a slower glass rod does not happen in time for me.

Post 28 Mar 2023, 17:02 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
What paveglass says is very productive.I have a 3/4 Steffen and fish a dry dropper a lot size 14 bead head under a 14 dry sometimes 2 bead heads a 14 and 18 under a dry.....Aurelio

Post 29 Mar 2023, 11:56 • #20 
Guide
What Paveglass says about floating indicators dragging the fly makes sense and is something I've read about, but I don't remember where. The advice from that article was to keep adjusting the indicator upstream above the fly during the drift. Hard to do without affecting the fly, at least for me. I think it works best with longer rods and short lines in the cases where you can get closer to the fish. That Maxcatch 12' 3wt of Paveglass' would work great, but a pain to maneuver on most of the streams I fish. I do like the indicators that slide over the leader like Paveglass was using that are like a short piece of flyline - I use them even in the smallest streams with good success. All of my indicators like that are the orange ones that Murray sells and I string 2 or 3 along the leader and one of them always at the line/leader junction. Have to watch these too, the leader will get ahead of the fly and drag the fly downstream as well, but they help with the visual aspect of when to mend. I always seem to pull the fly when I mend, likely just user error.

Post 29 Mar 2023, 21:18 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Throwing out another option. Is this type of fishing ideal for mooching reels? At what point do you change gear to match the situation? I would rather use the same rod with different reel than switching out a rod with a similar type reel...

New Topic Add Reply