It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:56

New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Mar 2023, 13:41 • #1 
Guide
Hello gang-

I've been out of the fly game for so long, I'm amazed at the some of the new products and techniques I've seen since I plunged back into it. This site has been a fantastic resource, and I thank you all for the collective experience here.

I recently purchased an old Pflueger Medalist for a much loved cane rod. It's a humble Southbend with the "lite lock" type reel seat. My Dad accidentaly sold my original Medalist many years ago, and as nothing else seems to fit that seat, I had put the rod aside. New (old) Medalist in hand, I ordered a new fly line, and that's when I learned of the Sylk lines. I haven't fished it yet, but I like the looks of it - rather understated in appearance, and it even looks a bit like the old oiled silk line my Dad had when I was a boy.

I will be fishing this one as soon as the river goes down a bit, but what has your experience been with this? Is it all marketing, or do you find something in its performance that you really like? I need to order another one soon for yet another rod, and I would enjoy reading your opinions.

Post 03 Mar 2023, 14:02 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I've never fished them, but bought and sold a bunch years ago.

Only problem I ever heard was that the very early batches had some problem with getting sticky.

After that only good reviews. I think some folks did mention that they felt about one line weight lighter than listed.

Many people over on the classicflyrodforum use these lines and may be able to give you better information.

Barry

Post 03 Mar 2023, 16:07 • #3 
Master Guide
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=48540&p=206993#p206993
I've fished one with a Steffen 3/4 fiberglass rod and enjoy the line.
I enjoyed fishing it enough to spool a second reel with it.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70954&p=388403#p388403
It loads the rod well, casts the distances I want to fish, and I enjoy using it. I'll admit that at least part of the enjoyment of it is the aesthetic. It feels and looks more classic and understated without needing to deal with drying silk. I think you'll like fishing it.

Post 03 Mar 2023, 20:51 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I bought one when they were relatively new. I tried using it for bluegill fishing, and found that the line tended to stick to the guides. So I became a non-fan.

Post 03 Mar 2023, 22:26 • #5 
Master Guide
I have a 4, 5, and 6wt Sylk line and really like they cast. Being a Slimmer higher density line they cut through the wind nicely, and you get better line speed with less effort than traditional lines. They also stay limp in colder weather. Definitely worth owning.

Post 04 Mar 2023, 08:31 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I love mine. But that said all of them appear to be a half of a line weight less than advertised. Meaning that a DT5F feels more like a 4.5wt. So, one needs to fool around a bit to find the correct line for a given rod. Or as above, the thinner diameter may be the result of what I experience regarding weight differences.

Post 04 Mar 2023, 10:06 • #7 
Guide
I fish a DT Sylk on a couple of “newer” built cane 4 weight rods that are faster than a classic cane rod. The thinner diameter of the line makes hauling more effective and doesn’t “seem” to create as much disturbance when landing on the water as an apparently thicker 4 wt line does.

That being said, I haven’t used it on any glass rods since I am a devoted 406 Line user on 3-6 wt glass rods.

Post 04 Mar 2023, 15:25 • #8 
Guide
Thanks for the input!

It was a "bluebird day" here, and the creek on our property (sadly trout-less), had dropped about halfway to normal levels, so I strung up the new line, tied on an Ausable Bomber and pretended to fish. It was joyful to swing the old Southbend 346 again. I think I begin to see what you are describing, the rod didn't seem to load terribly well, but given the confines of the creek, I couldn't get much line out. I should have hiked out to the road, where there's a spot with a little grass, and just practiced casting, but playing on the water was more entertaining. ;)

I'll give it an honest try on larger water before I order another one.

Last edited by JustJim on 06 Mar 2023, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

Post 05 Mar 2023, 20:04 • #9 
Master Guide
I have a 3wt and 4 wt sylk. They are much softer and more flexible than a cortland peach. I like them a lot, if I find myself in need of another dt for trout theyll be a top pick. Ive found that they are a good choice when a wf causes a lot of tip bounce. Maybe not the very best line for bigger flies, but they work for sure.

Post 05 Mar 2023, 22:47 • #10 
Sport
I have one that I intend to use on my 6wt bamboo. I haven't used it yet as I have too many man made fiber fly rods, and only one cane rod. I realize that it may also cast very well on my Fenwick FF686 so I will give it a go very soon.

Post 06 Mar 2023, 06:20 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I'm not a particular fan of the SYLK but I don't feel it is underweight...

The SYLK has a 10-foot front taper that is longer than the front taper of a 444 Peach, 406 or Sci Angler's Mastery DT. Long front taper lines require more fly line out past the tiptop to get to the belly of the line and subsequently load the rod.

This is makes the line feel light(er), especially on short casts or even longer casts when compared to other true to weight lines at the same distances. The light feel is even more pronounced with a longer leader or bulkier flies.

Post 06 Mar 2023, 11:59 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I use cortland peach and sylk interchangeably on my glass and bamboo rods, and the sylk does feel slightly lighter than the standard peach. I don't know if that is the taper, or the line density. The sylk floats lower in the water, and it's narrow diameter (once you cut the loop off) works better on rods with small (2/0) guides out toward the tip. Which is mostly bamboo for me. The low riding sylk line feels stealthy when compared to peach, but not by much.

Post 06 Mar 2023, 12:52 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I'm sure you realize this already but bamboo rods of recent vintage use the same sized guides as fiberglass or graphite rods of similar vintage and therefore should throw any modern line with the same ease as their graphite or glass counterparts.

The small guides on bamboo rod thing is mostly an issue with rods built prior to the 1950's and even then the effect is isn't as much an issue as the line manufacturers want you believe. Case in point, until recently when I switched to real silk, I fished all of my bamboo rods using standard plastic lines with no issues related to smaller guides and fatter lines. That includes rods from the teens, 40's, 1960 & 1970's.

The ONLY problem I had was with my 1948 Orvis Bakelite which I used to fish in the dead of winter. That problem was the smaller guides iced up faster. I solved that problem by not using it anymore in the winter. ;)

FWIW - The late Tom Morgan believed in smaller guides on rods to reduce line slap...

In regards to the SYLK floating lower in the water, that is because the coating is thinner and on plastic lines the "float is in the coat(ing)" so the less of it that you have, the less buoyancy.

In regards to the lighter feel, try using a leader a few feet shorter to compensate for the SYLK front taper being 2 feel longer than the Peach.

Post 06 Mar 2023, 17:08 • #14 
Master Guide
I always thought my Sylks ran light so I weighed them yesterday. The DT4 was at 122 grains for the first 30 feet. The DT5 was at 132 grains. You will have to take this with a grain of salt as I just weighed the first 30 feet. I believe the standard is the first 30 feet after the level tip. When I weighed them, I kept the end of the line at a neutral position. I think to be super accurate you would probably have to cut the line. Anyways, the DT4 was close to the standard at 120 and the DT5 looks light compared to the 140 grains standard.

Bam has a good point that weight distribution will also affect how they feel.

The Sylk is also marketed as a thinner line. It may be true but for there are many lines that are just as thin. I got .040/.030 and .042/.033 for the belly/tip for the DT4 and DT5.

None the less, they are nice lines and I enjoy fishing mine.

Post 07 Mar 2023, 03:52 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Hellmtflies wrote:
I love mine. But that said all of them appear to be a half of a line weight less than advertised. Meaning that a DT5F feels more like a 4.5wt. So, one needs to fool around a bit to find the correct line for a given rod. Or as above, the thinner diameter may be the result of what I experience regarding weight differences.

Thanks Mark and Dan.
Never used this line before after the initial first generation was said to have stickiness issues.

Bamboozle wrote:
The SYLK has a 10-foot front taper that is longer than the front taper of a 444 Peach, 406 or Sci Angler's Mastery DT. Long front taper lines require more fly line out past the tiptop to get to the belly of the line and subsequently load the rod.

Surely indeed something to know when fishing with bulky or heavy flies like weighted nymphs.

Post 08 Mar 2023, 23:43 • #16 
Master Guide
Agreed.

“I love mine. But that said all of them appear to be a half of a line weight less than advertised.”

New Topic Add Reply