It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:29

New Topic Add Reply
Return o’ the Spartan.
Post 01 Mar 2023, 09:50 • #1 
Master Guide

Seven years ago, I bought this rod on eBay. I really like this model and even rebuilt one. I also have the Talisman which is the same thing. I did strip the Talisman down and probably need to do a second coat of Citristrip. I haven’t fished a Spartan in a few years.

The green rod is the Talisman that I stripped down to the tobacco blanks.

I was thinking of using my rebuilt Cortland 502 a lot more . It was the first rod I ever built (rebuilt). It’s been about 4 years since it’s seen action. But I also love the action of these Spartans of which I have a few. The older Spartan models. Not the stiff Taiwan models.

Conflicted. May use both but I do know that the Rio Bass line is perfect for loading on the Spartan.

Planning out my year. Almost time to hit the creeks for wet wading. I have retuned to work in January. Had my knee replacement late September. I was semi-retired but things have changed. As they have for a lot of folks these days. I no longer hop in the truck and rush off to fish whenever I get the urge. It’s nice to make these plans. Makes one appreciate it more. I’ll have the summer off.

Anyways, thinking of taking out the Spartan and not only targeting warm water species but specifically chasing Chubs. Lots of fun when you hook the fat ones.

I’ve done some bank fishing but am looking forward to seeing how well I can wade and balance myself when wade fishing on this knee replacement.

The tuna can will be replaced with either and Ocean City or another Martin. Just depends on the needs of the day. More Spartan reports to come.

Thanks for reading.

Post 01 Mar 2023, 09:59 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Nice post PF74! I like the old Berkleys too. The Martin/Berkley is a cool combo. One of the first rods I rebuilt was a Talisman. I also stripped mine down to tobacco. They have a pretty weave. I don't have the rod any more but I remember fishing it with a 5wt line and liking it. Looking forward to more Spartan reports. Enjoy.

Post 01 Mar 2023, 14:55 • #3 
Guide
Very nice! Looks like fun!

Post 01 Mar 2023, 18:14 • #4 
Guide
Those Berkeleys look like fun! Love the old Martins too.

Post 01 Mar 2023, 18:35 • #5 
Guide
Looks like a great job on the rod.
Looks like you did a great job on that
smallmouth.
My favorite gamefish.

Post 01 Mar 2023, 19:27 • #6 
Guide
Long live the Berkeley spartan! That was the first rod that I learned on which I found collecting dust in the garage. It had been my dad's. I eventually moved on to other rods, but it was one of my first projects when I began tinkering with rod building and repair. Eventually gave it to my brother in law to try to get him into it.

Post 01 Mar 2023, 20:29 • #7 
Guide
Panfish74, I'm looking forward to you taking us along some of your upcoming fishing adventures!

Post 02 Mar 2023, 10:33 • #8 
Master Guide
I heart Berkley :)

Post 02 Mar 2023, 11:14 • #9 
Master Guide
Are these old Spartan and Tailsman blanks the same ones used for the older Buccaneer models? I have a B-40-8 that has a very nice casting blank with blue collar components and will try and work it in to the rotation.

Post 02 Mar 2023, 12:05 • #10 
Master Guide
Pete
if you want the quick answer Yes ..
If you want a deep dive answer HMU ;)

Panfish74
I hope you get that Berkley all kind of bent this season !

Post 11 Mar 2023, 18:50 • #11 
Master Guide

Found my Lifetime Triton kayak to be full of water within the hull. Kids were gone and could not pull it out from under deck myself. Took out another kayak but it sat low and let the choppy water in. I still enjoyed the outing.

The Berkley Spartan caught trout and crappies. No slabs. Recent rains caused feeder creeks to muddy the lake up good. I tend to use black patterns year round cuz it’s always dirty. Switched to neon sparkle yellow chenille. Just tied some jig patterns up this morning.

This photo is of a runway that juts out into the lake. Can be fun to watch the landings and takeoffs. A bit startling at times too.

It’s nice to be out. I didn’t expect to catch much but was good to talk with folks and get some exercise.

New Topic Add Reply