It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:10

New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Feb 2023, 19:53 • #1 
Guide
The water is a little high and swift because of recent rain, here in the mountains.

So,i rigged up my Dixie nymphing outfit. 8 ft fiberglass composite fly rod with myvintage fre-line reel. Leader is 100yds of 4lb.mono ,lure is a perdigon (pellet) fly, (jig). No pesky fly line on the water to mess up a good drift.
Caught a bunch of trout. Great fun using the old odd reel.

The next day on a different stream, I saw a coupleof smoky mtn elk crossing the creek. This stream is fly fishing only ,catch and release.Rules are leaders no longer than 17 1/2 feet. So my 300 ft leader is not allowed.

Post 24 Feb 2023, 18:00 • #2 
Guide
Wonderful outing, thanks for taking us along.

Post 24 Feb 2023, 20:41 • #3 
Master Guide
Hey Swamp
How’s the turnover on that 300 ft leader? :lol
Love those sidewinders !
Tight lines in 23
Scotto

Post 25 Feb 2023, 08:57 • #4 
Guide
swamp wrote:
Rules are leaders no longer than 17 1/2 feet. So my 300 ft leader is not allowed.

There is a simple solution. You could tie on about 2' of 5X tippet material with a blood knot or double surgeon's knot, leaving a 6" tag, which would then be a dropper onto which you could tie a tiny soft-hackle wet or an unweighted nymph. The perdigon fly would go onto the point (end of the tippet), you would have two flies to fish with the same effort, and you would also be in compliance.

That looks like it was a great fishing trip!

Post 25 Feb 2023, 09:46 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Please, well intended, but let's not go further with tackle rigging to comply with FFO regulations. That generates at least two topics to argue fruitlessly about. Besides that, regulations vary greatly by state and even by individual water. A suggestion that complies one place may not somewhere else. Best to check with the local regulatory/enforcement personnel.

Post 25 Feb 2023, 13:09 • #6 
Guide
I like your set up. My dad and I went through a lot of 4 pound mono using old Johnson Century closed faced reels under our fly rods. Way back in the day, but I still use it when the mood strikes. Makes a great nymph rig. Thanks for sharing.

Post 01 Mar 2023, 15:02 • #7 
Guide
Nice! It's satisfying to put old gear back into use.

Before I became such a purist, Dad and I had closed face Shakespeare (?) spinning reels which we used on our fly rods when conditions were better suited to that method. It did work wonderfully well.

I still have my spinning reel, but I just enjoy fly casting so much that it hasn't seen the water in decades.

New Topic Add Reply