It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:19

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Feb 2023, 19:36 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Great advice above! My suggestion does not deal with equipment. A decision I made when my wife expressed a similar sentiment, was to make sure she enjoyed her first outing. To achieve that, I hired a guide to take her on private water where I knew she would catch some nice fish and she would not ever hear me say "You're doing it wrong." Worked brilliantly. She came back and shared things with me that I did not know and we have enjoyed fishing together ever since. You need to make sure that your wife has a good first day.

As far as equipment, a nice 7'6" rod in a 4-5 wt should serve her well. Shorter than 7 ft or longer than 8 ft would be a mistake from what you have said.

Post 27 Feb 2023, 09:07 • #27 
Guide
That’s a great thought about hiring a guide to help insure a good first outing. Mary and I recently bought a pickup camper, and I’m looking at a place in NC for a first trip together.

It’s called Hanging Dog Creek, and is said to offer guide service. She says, “I want to fish with you,” but I think it will really accelerate her journey if she has some competent on-the-water instruction.

Oh, and women’s prerogative - I was planning on a build for her, but we looked at a T&T Lotic online, and she decided upon that. Should be here pretty soon!

Post 27 Feb 2023, 13:48 • #28 
Guide
Another +1 for the NFC rods that are 7.5 4wt. They are really, really good rods for a great price. Strong, faster glass with alot of backbone. Was catching large cutthroat last summer in a CO high mountain lake and they handled the fish with ease. The extra speed to the rod makes it good for distance casting and was able to handle wind a bit better than other rods I've handled. Really good value!

Post 27 Feb 2023, 15:00 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Not bad to have an already-built rod showing up. Don’t know anything about Hanging Dog creek, or guides, but I’d suggest you go ahead and spring for the NC annual license, especially since you’re an hour or more closer than I am. Even though you’re near some of my favorite GA steams, there’s a lot of really good water across the border, and I always think of it as the annual non-resident license my best fly fishing purchase of the year.

Post 27 Feb 2023, 19:11 • #30 
Master Guide
Great choice on the T&T rod. Hope she likes it that series is fabulous I fished my 7’10” 5 wt. today and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Post 28 Feb 2023, 13:18 • #31 
Guide
Thanks all - I expect it to be a good fit for her. I just hope I get a chance to fish it! :lol

Post 01 Mar 2023, 08:22 • #32 
Guide
I would reach out to Bill at W. Jude Fly Rods , he has some nice offerings of his own , along with a vast knowledge of tapers (in particular) to a variety of fishing applications , Shane Gray would also be a great source , and keep your eye out in the classifieds , maybe post a wanted ad , always top quality sticks comin up for sale here ..

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply