It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:02

New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Feb 2023, 18:45 • #1 
Sport
I've just bought a 6'6" 3wt Primal Twig and have been using it on local forest streams. The image is typical of the more accessible water. The overgrowth is otherwise limiting. It's a bush bash.

I find the 3 wt DTF line a little light to project a short cast, which is often a necessity- and it collapses into a breeze on longer casts- which turns off fish in the slow pools.

The Twig is a slow rod, light and responsive. The fish on feel took me by surprise. Exciting. But I can't fish it as stealthy or as effectively as my 7' 2" rod, (The Princess, with a 5DTF), which probably has a limited life, so broken it is.

Can I trust my intuition to use a 4 DTF? The slow rod action and heavier line (ballistically speaking- reading another post) seems a better option for this fishing situation.

Post 12 Feb 2023, 19:37 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Regardless of rod speed or action I use a heavier line if all the casts are short. Often I have used two weights above the supposed rod rating. In windy conditions I've used #9 line on rods marked as #5 for fishing at less than 35'. Consider that 70' of #5 line has about the same mass as 30' of #11 line. Or in your case, 50' of #3 line weighs about the same as 30' of #6 line. On the other hand if all the casts are relatively long I may use a much lighter line because the mass felt by the rod is cumulative, for example a #5 line on #7 rated rod. Rods are flexible and react to total load not to just a set mass or a specific length of line, it's why there is no true way to rate rods.

Post 12 Feb 2023, 21:13 • #3 
Master Guide
Trevs advice is excellent as usual. Id say that a 4DT may well serve better in your situation. Dont overlook all 9f the great "3wt" small creek lines, I have a feeling they might be just the trick for you. I have gotten great use out of a rio creek 3wt. Its a half line weight heavy, and a lot of the weight is near the tip of the line. As a result, it casts well (even with big flies) at close range, but generally is also fine for mid distance casts.

Post 12 Feb 2023, 21:51 • #4 
Guide
Agreed with the sentiments mentioned above. And if it feels good to you and does what you want it to do, definitely feel free to mix and match as you see fit. The more I learn and the more I experience, the only reason I would ever use a 3wt or lower line is for tiny dry flies. Creek fishing even for small fish often is more enjoyable with a 4 or 5 wt line for loading in close as well as casting bushier flies or even small streamers. So I like the idea of overlining a light rod for close quarters fishing.

Post 13 Feb 2023, 04:46 • #5 
Sport
Thank you all. That elevates my confidence to up the line size. I haven't looked at the Rio Creek lines which appear to be a WF taper.

In essence, it's the weight of line from the rod tip.

I have a 5 DTF. I'll see how it feels. (But I guess line for line I will need to compare weights for a given length between the DT and WF lines.)

EDIT: Casting the 5DTF (an old Cortland 444 lazer) in the park felt solid and balanced. Short and false casts to 30' were effortless and accurate. Different rod. Glad I didn't run out and buy a 4wt line. I'll try it out on the water later in the week. Interested to see how it goes with an indicator and nymph on a dropper.

Post 13 Feb 2023, 11:08 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Makes sense, as others have said. Try the DT5 first. It might do just as well, but if it feels a bit heavy, you will have the answer about a DT4

Post 13 Feb 2023, 11:28 • #7 
Master Guide
If we were willing to cut a rio creek 3wt up and weigh each foot, I wouldn't be suprised to hear that the first 10 ft are equivalent in weight to 10ft of a 5wt line. The bennefit to something like an "aggressive" 3WF is that the line weight after the first 10 ft falls off allowing for longer casts and making the line slightly more versatile. It does seem like the wilder a wf lines taper gets, the less likely it is to feel right when casting. If all casts are within 5 meters anyhow it probably doesn't matter if you use a fancy 3wt with a heavy head or a regular old dt5.

I find lines with bizarre weight distributions interesting, but I have found that they often are not as sure of a bet as something like a good old dt line.

Post 13 Feb 2023, 15:14 • #8 
Sport
I'll see how the 5wt goes on the water and drop down to a 4 wt if need be. I suspect the wf 3 is as described that's been my experience with wf lines. I'm avoiding the expense atm.

Post 13 Feb 2023, 18:19 • #9 
Master Guide
I love fishing glass rods because they can be fished "under or over lined". Over line to make roll casts easier and under line to suspend more line in the air. You can go down two line weights or up two weights.

Post 13 Feb 2023, 20:29 • #10 
Sport
I'm finding that out. Pleasantly surprised by the adaptability of glass and looking forward to another session better equipped.

Post 14 Feb 2023, 07:51 • #11 
Guide
The best answer is for you to take a couple different weight lines when you go to this creek, try them out in actual fishing situations, and then you'll have your answer.

Post 14 Feb 2023, 20:37 • #12 
Sport
I did think of that. But given the experience levels here, and my limited know how, my question generated a range of ideas as I hoped it would. I'm working my way around the additional cost of the two extra lines I'd need to run that experiment. If the 5wt has the punch and roll casts well, I'll stick with that for near zero outlay. Otherwise, it's likely a 4dtf, as I like the directional control and mending abilities of the dt.

Post 15 Feb 2023, 08:46 • #13 
Guide
You should check out Barrio fly lines Small Stream Special. It cast like a half size heavy line. Prices are great and the service is exceptional.

Post 15 Feb 2023, 11:04 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
For sure the 5wt will work on the creek. Roll casting is generally facilitated by heavier lines. The only downside to a heavier line will be a tendency to cast wider loops as you will have to use a wider arc, longer stroke at longer distances.

A dry dropper will be much more comfortable on the 5wt - and very awkward on a 3wt.

Post 15 Feb 2023, 13:36 • #15 
Guide
Whether or not a given rod is suitable for drastic over-lining depends on some different factors. First of all, some rods may not have been accurately labeled by the manufacturer, so what was labeled a 3-weight may actually be a 4- or 5-weight. Some tapers are more forgiving than others and will be easily cast with a line that is one or two weights lighter or heaver. It can also depend on one's casting skills. Leader design also enters the equation.

My main objection to the practice of over-lining for use on small, brushy streams is that when it comes time to cast beyond 25 or 30 feet, the rod can just run out of gas, so to speak. I would rather have to work a little harder in close and have the flexibility for a slightly longer cast if necessary.

Whether or not a 3-weight rod is suitable for dry-dropper use depends a lot on leader design and fly size. For such usage, my go-to design is basically the old Ritz formula (60% butt - 20% stepping down - 20% tippet), The dropper, onto which my dry fly is tied, is simply a long tag on the last blood or double surgeon's knot, with a small nymph going on the point (the end of the tippet). With that set-up, it's no problem to use a # 12 or #14 dry on the dropper and a # 14 or #16 nymph on the end of the leader. My go-to terminal rig consists of a small nymph or soft-hackle wet on the dropper and a small (#10 or #12) streamer on the point. Either way, a wider loop is needed. Otherwise, the resulting tangles are not a pleasant experience.

Post 15 Feb 2023, 13:51 • #16 
Master Guide
Ill tack some more on to PampasPetes comment. I seldom use a leader longer than 7'on small streams and I often use a leader closer to 6'. Short leaders with adequate butt sections help a small rod turn over big flies. When you only have a meter of line out of the tip top, the leader becomes very important!

Generally, I find that it is often the case that I dont need a leader longer than the rod. This isnt a magical rule by any means. If Im on a creek so small I need a 6 foot rod, generally the drifts are so short and the water so broken that a 6 foot leader works great. For those of us who tie their own leaders creekside its easy to tune leaders for specific situations and flies.

Post 01 Mar 2023, 16:03 • #17 
Trev wrote:
Regardless of rod speed or action I use a heavier line if all the casts are short. Often I have used two weights above the supposed rod rating. In windy conditions I've used #9 line on rods marked as #5 for fishing at less than 35'. Consider that 70' of #5 line has about the same mass as 30' of #11 line. Or in your case, 50' of #3 line weighs about the same as 30' of #6 line. On the other hand if all the casts are relatively long I may use a much lighter line because the mass felt by the rod is cumulative, for example a #5 line on #7 rated rod. Rods are flexible and react to total load not to just a set mass or a specific length of line, it's why there is no true way to rate rods.

Trev very well said definitely important to keep in mind when pairing your rod/line

Post 05 Mar 2023, 09:56 • #18 
Master Guide
Trev wrote:

Excellent reply. I keep a variety of line weights, 2 thru 6 currently, and use these on rods sizes 2 thru 5. Any rod size may be matched with any line size depending on what type of casting/fishing I want to do. Sometime I am matching the line size to the rod size and a (suitable size fly ) doing 30' to 40' overhand length cast, other times not.

Post 05 Mar 2023, 12:16 • #19 
Guide
Every now and then I build a fly rod that, even with twenty-five feet of line beyond the rod tip, begs for one line weight higher than the prescribed line weight. I'm presently considering deconstructing a rod that hasn't even reached the stream yet in order to salvage valuable parts.

New Topic Add Reply