It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:30

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Feb 2023, 18:39 • #26 
Guide
They are totally worth it, but over time some of the old classic gear still remains as my favorites. Maybe as much as I like the new gear I appreciate the quality old stuff more.

We are lucky to have such a long history with our craft.

Last edited by Unknownflyman on 12 Feb 2023, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

Post 12 Feb 2023, 07:41 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Hellmtflies wrote:
To answer the original question.....YES! But in truth, the fish don't really give a hoot.

That’s what it’s for: impressing your friends :D

Post 12 Feb 2023, 10:22 • #28 
Piscator
Still a lot of horse hockey on this thread. If you really believe it, sell your nice rods and fish Eagle Claw.

Post 12 Feb 2023, 10:26 • #29 
Guide
Like the sign at the local feed store proclaims,

“Good quality oats for your horse will cost a premium, if however you want oats that have already been through a horse, they’re a little cheaper!”

Post 12 Feb 2023, 10:54 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
"horse hockey"....that's one I've never heard.

totally agree. If it doesn't matter, send me all your high end stuff and I'll send you either an Eagle Claw or maybe an old beat up Heddon....I mean, the fish don't care right?.

Post 12 Feb 2023, 11:49 • #31 
Guide
I would "echo" the comments that casting a rod, especially a relatively high dollar rod, before buying would be a good thing.

I have picked up modern glass rods in a couple of shops, but have yet to cast and/or purchase one. Scott and Echo feel pretty good in the hand

Post 12 Feb 2023, 12:23 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
...Scott and Echo feel pretty good in the hand

I've cast a couple of the last generation F2 rods from Scott and found them a bit too whimpy.

Post 12 Feb 2023, 12:34 • #33 
Master Guide
"Worth the price" depends on how you measure worth. For some, purchasing a rod that is made in the USA (including the rod blank) is worth a lot of extra money. Same goes for having a rod that was assembled with high-end components by an artisan rod builder. For others, finding really inexpensive equipment that works well is part of the fun.

I think I fall into both camps.

On the expensive side, I have a 7.5' 4wt black-glass Scott F. It's a great rod. I used it to catch every one of the fish (six species) for the California Heritage Trout Challenge that I completed in 2020. These were all small fish - like 8" / 20cm, and this rod is fun to use with fish that size. It has enough oomph to push out fairly large dry-dropper rigs and I have caught trout and whitefish in the 16" / 40cm range with no problems.

I also have a 7.5' 4wt LL Bean Pocketwater Glass rod. It is much, much less expensive than the Scott, and probably pretty similar to the Echo River Glass rods. The components aren't as nice as the more expensive rods, but they work just fine. I'm no great casting technician, but I like the way this rod casts with light flies, small streamers, or dry-dropper rigs.

Is the Scott rod better? Undoubtedly. I like fishing with it because it is a Scott. Is the LL Bean rod good enough to make fishing enjoyable? Absolutely. One other note - I also have an 8.5' 6wt first-generation Orvis Superfine Glass rod. It is a powerful, effective rod that is fun with either big or small fish on the line. For the price (US$450), I found the build quality to be pretty uninspiring. I think the second-generation SFG rods are built more in line with current higher-end Orvis rods. I also think Orvis has spent significant effort to tune the actions of their rods to feel good to fly fishers coming over from graphite rods.

I think you have a few options:

Buy a higher-end (more expensive) new or used rod from an established maker like Scott or Orvis or a known craft maker like Shane Gray, Larry Kenney, Yasuyuki Kabuto, etc. You can be confident that if you don't like it, you'll be able to sell it and get much if not all of your money back.

Buy a lower-priced rod (new or used) with an established reputation. This way, you won't be too invested, and you can probably also get most of your money back if you decide to sell it.

The other question you might want to ask yourself is whether you are interested in experimenting with gear or just want to buy a good rod on the first try. Unless you are a dedicated experimenter, the one thing I probably would not do is buy a very-low-end rod as a first fiberglass rod.

I'm not sure the information above isn't horse hockey, but I hope it helps. In any case, good luck with your search and please keep us posted on what you do!

Post 12 Feb 2023, 12:58 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
as with virtually *any* “tool”,
there is a crossover point,
where “competent functionality” meets
“luxury”. Its where the Law of Diminishing Returns begins.

id say, respectfully, that the Eagle Claw retorts, fall short of this point.

Post 12 Feb 2023, 18:01 • #35 
Administrator
Many excellent builders are forum members. Don't hesitate to send them a message via PM or forum email.

This is also a good place for me to add my usual advice on buying a new rod, read and follow the Forum Buyer's Guide! Always treat buying a rod like a business transaction, because it is a business transaction.

Tom

Post 13 Feb 2023, 21:21 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
HMMMM,i have sold off many of my "nicer " rods.They were actually too nice for me to fish and beat up.Now if i want a better casting tool as in more distance and much faster i can always buy a mid range carbon rod.Gone thru at least 40 pairs of work boots.The last 20 pairs were all pretty much the same mid range leather boots.Bought many that cost 3 times as much that were no more comfortable or durable and did not last any longer.I love my old Heddons St Criox Phillipson Wonderods Browning Silaflex GC etc.I have gotton a few people into fly fishing with cheap EC glass rods with cheap old Martin reels ,cheap easy to learn to cast with.Maybe they will just use them a few times a year for pond panfish or will move up to nicer gear for trout or salt water.I gave them the rods and reels and dispelled many myths that flyfishing is expensive and difficult.Most of these people are competent at minimum anglers already just never fly fished .Maybe some of them will buy a rod from one of the builders that frequent FFR.Even the high end glass rods are cheap compared to high end graphite.

Post 14 Feb 2023, 05:37 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
I'd like to revisit the question from a different angle. Glass offerings are very diverse in action and feel and these differences are marked and very palpable. I happen to have a broad collection of rods and I happen to know what action/length/configuration I want on any particular day. It might be that I reach for an old Fenwick, Hardy or a Kenney, Paddock (Mc Farland), Wojniki or something I have put together from a custom blank. It's not so much the price of the rod that matters but its character. When lucky, one finds the character one wants in a relatively affordable rod, when less lucky one might need to talk to a custom builder to obtain what one is looking for at what is likely to be a higher cost.

Your taste is your taste and you are allowed to have more or less expensive tastes.

That said the more expensive rods tend to be more sophisticated and better presented dishes but again, what if you happen to be in the mood for apple pie at the local diner?

Post 14 Feb 2023, 07:52 • #38 
Guide
For me a Steffen blank is worth the price. Anything over that (and I do have rods made by high end builders over that price) are not worth it.

Post 14 Feb 2023, 11:10 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
giogio wrote:
It's not so much the price of the rod that matters but its character.

That said the more expensive rods tend to be more sophisticated and better presented dishes but again, what if you happen to be in the mood for apple pie at the local diner?

I totally agree

ibookje;
I've cast a couple of the last generation F2 rods from Scott and found them a bit too whimpy.

Except for a couple of models I agree. I know Scott is capable of designing glass rods with the character giogio describes but I believe they're leery of competeing with their graphite rods. As I recall, all but one of their more recent models have been 4 wt. and under and the 5wt. F2 fell into the wimpy category. I really liked their black blank F series, which were not at all wimpy and actually on the fast side. The F2 6633 has a solid rep as a very capable rod. I just think Scott sees glass as a niche and are more concerned with bolstering their cutting edge reputation than making versatile glass rods in many line weights. Can't blame them, their graphite rods have been their bread and butter for a long time.

Post 14 Feb 2023, 11:39 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
giogio wrote:
what if you happen to be in the mood for apple pie at the local diner?

Whelp, then eat that apple pie.

I mean, I'm always going to enjoy a high end steak but sure, a decent apple pie has its place.

I'll probably always hold onto my Echo BAG Quickshot since it's so versatile and is really tough so makes a good kick around, fully rigged, banging around in the trunk type of rod, and works well for many things. But to compare it performance-wise to my Steffen or Epic Bandit is just plain silly.....there really isn't a comparison there.

Post 14 Feb 2023, 12:40 • #41 
Piscator
Planning our four-day Arroyo trip for Thursday, Susie e-mails a menu proposal asking if I want her to make her a Dutch apple pie.
Is this a trick question?

Post 14 Feb 2023, 14:52 • #42 
Administrator
No, the real question is how many?

Tom

Post 14 Feb 2023, 15:40 • #43 
Piscator
Quote:
I’m starting to think about what to cook/bake for our trip. I’m for sure going to make blueberry muffins and brown-butter oatmeal cookies for breakfast/sweet treats. Did you like the Dutch apple pie enough for me to make that again? I also have buttermilk in the house for a buttermilk pie.

I assume we’ll eat at the burger place the first night. Since it will be cool the first couple of days, I am planning to make a beef stew and cornbread on Friday evening. Any other thoughts or requests?

When Susie asks about meal planning, the answer is always YES

Post 14 Feb 2023, 16:08 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
I'm getting hungry.

Post 14 Feb 2023, 16:11 • #45 
Guide
Fancy glass 7wt, E or S glass?

Post 14 Feb 2023, 16:29 • #46 
Sport
With the price of shipping from the US, building your rod can be an option to consider. Also, wraps, gripp, and hardware on my first build attempt looked way better than my factory built first generation ECHO glass rod. There's tons of information here on the forum to help you out.

Gbcustomflyrods.com has Steffen blanks in stock. You also have cheaper options such as Red truck, RTF, and Soulmate available at mb-customrods.de. Maybe see if yamameflyrods has any interesting blanks?

Post 15 Feb 2023, 18:23 • #47 
Glass Fanatic
El Gato wrote:
I know it's subjective but is a T&T Lotic 5 weight or Orvis Superfine for 550-650 Euros 10 times the rod of the old Mitchell I can buy used for 60-70. I have never cast an old Mitchell nor either of the above.

a Conolon/Mitchell 6wt will cast a modern 5wt line happily, as most of the current so-called 5wt lines are made a half weight or more heavy.
At 60-70 it's probably worth it to get one and see if you like it..
I'd expect this to be significantly slower and more of a through-action than modern glass.
I had a Conolon 8' 6wt glass blank in the 1970s which I built up as an ultralight spinning rod, and sometimes cast a fly line with it.

By all accounts the Superfine is a lovely rod, if you have the €s then why not..
This also gets the Orvis 25-year warranty, which is nice to have as backup.

Or, shop the UK Ebay, for a nice vintage Hardy Fibalite glass rod. I have fished these in the 80s, and would rate them several steps above the Conolon/Mitchell rods.

Post 16 Feb 2023, 00:31 • #48 
Sport
Yes…yes they are. The question could be whether you personally appreciate the differences that high end brings enough to pay for it. I think you will since you are asking the question. I also think that contacting a custom builder with your wants in a rod may be the best choice when getting into the high end factory range. I’ve basically said “this is what I want the rod to do” and received a rod that did just that. Then add the aesthetics, fit/finish, choices of hardware…custom is the way to go. I have more graphite rods than glass by a long shot. However, all of my glass rods (save vintage) are customs while none of my graphite rods are…that’s the soul part.

Post 16 Feb 2023, 08:17 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
Best reply yet Surf.Layed it out perfectly.Factory rods are marketed to the masses.You may find one that suits you perfectly.Vintage rods are mostly the same.I have a few that do pretty much what I want them to do or rather I have learned to use them to the best of my abilities .The custom rods do not cost that much more than top of the line factory.But you will have to wait some time for them to be built to your specs.In the end it is still just fishing tho.A pastime we enjoy.I am not fishing to feed a family.A flyrod is still just a tool to deliver a fly.A fake prey on a hook..I am not a purist,I fish warm water and the fish have are not trapped in a stream where they have to rely on limited food sources.WW fish have a much wider variety of prey from zoo plankton to each other .That is what makes it fun for me.If I only pursued trout in mountain streams I would want the perfect rod for that.I may catch 5 species in one òuting even on a rock bottom beautiful stream.Sometimes on the same fly.There is no perfect rod for what I do.

Post 16 Feb 2023, 19:42 • #50 
Guide
Apples to Oranges . Quality Glass of yester years . All these guys know what I am talking about . The old school rods have never lost their place in the Fiberglass market . Color to me is like putting lipstick on a pig pink, green brown or blue makes no difference to me .
For my 2 cents on this matter . Fly rod are tools you pick a tool that best suites your needs. Quality old school glass never goes out of style. In many cases it creates a better market for the vintage stuff ,

The History materials & makers speaks for it self . Old school will always be my first choice. If you do not like the early component's re - build it . You may find out something that the early makers missed in their knowledge . Happens to me quite a bit . Working with the early stuff .

Randy at Retroglass Fly Rods / Tahoe Rod Works

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply