It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:42

New Topic Add Reply
Weekend Browns x2
Post 21 Jan 2023, 17:07 • #1 
Guide
The weather in western Pa has been great for fishing. With the exception of one weekend it’s been really mild.

Last week at work, my friend Brad asked if I wanted to get out to our favorite stream on Saturday morning. I was worn out from a busy week but couldn’t resist taking him up on the offer. We had a little rain and some snow melt so we figured it would fish fairly well when we went.

I decided on the Chieftain and tossed on a dry dropper. It’s been my go to this year, stimulator and lively legz double trouble on the bottom. I knew I wouldn’t get much action on the dry but the flow was slower than we thought so I went with what’s been working. Brad was nymphing his Orvis Clearwater with his home brew sexy walts worm (browns on this stream can’t resist).

We had nice weather, mid 30’s, no wind and a nice big flake snow fall.

The fish were hungry, even the little guys…

Catching guys this little make me happy, we know the fish are reproducing and shows the stream is healthy.

Brad was being stealthy and hiding beside a tree

No fish were home at this hole though.

We worked our way up stream and started to pick up fish a little more consistently. Most of them were around the 9/10 inch range.

We eventually got to a little stretch that usually holds multiple fish. Brad picked up one at the back end of the run. I fished ahead and went to the head of the run. I picked up another little 9 inch fish, sitting right where it should have been. Brad fishing clean up hooked up with the biggest fish of our outing.

Nice 13 inch fish. All in all we had a pretty good trip landing 4 wild browns each.

We ended our half day trip at our favorite little local joint. A little general store in a nearby town.

The inside looks just like you’d imagine. Old wooden floors that creak when you walk, every inch of space used to display food and drinks, complete with a little side room with seating and a small stage where they have bluegrass music in the summers. All food made fresh daily at extremely low prices. Great way to finish up a trip.

Half way through this week Brad asked again if I was available Saturday for another quick hitter. Of course I asked the wife and we had no plans so it was a definite yes from me. We asked two other guys (one had previous plans) and our friend Scott was in.

Both were nymphing their Orvis clearwaters while I grabbed the 8’ Abercrombie and Fitch featherweight. Made a little euro rig for it and went drop shot with a lively legz double trouble and one of their micro mops. Scott also had a similar set of flies just different colors. Brad again had his sexy walts tied on.

It didn’t take long and Scott picked up a nice 9 inch wild brown. We were off the mark and hopeful to get more.

As we worked up stream the fishing got better. Tossed my rig out and picked up this wild brown in a nice hole on the down stream side of a fallen tree laying across the stream.

First fish on the Abercrombie and it was ready for more.

We kept working upstream each picking up another brown.

The fellas and I fished pretty hard and had some good laughs and told some good stories.

As we neared the ending spot I stepped into a nice run that has some basketball sized rocks in the middle of it. I worked the near edge first, then the middle and the far edge last. No luck. I normally pick up one or two average sized fish out of it. I walked up stream three yards to work the next section. As I drifted the near edge my line paused and I set the hook. Up from the bottom came a fish with some size, especially this stream. I got my net unhooked and fought the fish. As soon as I got it close enough I scooped and in the net it went. Brad and Scott came up to look at one of the bigger wild browns we’ve pulled out of this stream.

We all celebrated the catch and Scott was ready to head out to grab a coffee and head back home. Brad and I decided to fish up a few holes from the exit point and we were glad we did. Brad picked up a 9 incher right away. As he continued up stream he threw into a fast water section where we normally cross. Doesn’t matter which one of usually gets to that spot first we always throw in before we cross just in case. Today was Brads turn and a fish was home. He called out he had a big fish on and I started up stream towards him. He was fighting the fish under some low hanging branches and was doing a great job keeping the rod tip out of said branches. He got the fish close and stabbed the net into the water getting the fish safely inside it.

I’m going to say my brown was longer but I think his had a little more girth.

We fist bumped and called it a trip. We headed back to our favorite eatery, grabbed some homemade food and went our separate ways.

Back to back weekends of wild browns and good company and good food. Life is good.

Re: Weekend Browns x2
Post 21 Jan 2023, 18:29 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Those are nice fish for this time of year.That general store looks a lot like a place we went in to years ago when we were in Pennsylvania.

Post 21 Jan 2023, 19:32 • #3 
Master Guide
That is a most excellent story with great pics and fine looking trout!

It's currently 68 here, and looking at those pics you y'all fishing while it's snowing always makes me smile!

Thanks for sharing!

Post 21 Jan 2023, 23:09 • #4 
Master Guide
Thanks for sharing!

Post 22 Jan 2023, 06:42 • #5 
Guide
Thanks for taking the time to write up a couple of nice trip reports. Quite entertaining for me huddling in my recliner, thinking about next summer.

Post 22 Jan 2023, 08:18 • #6 
Guide
Looks fantastic to me!

Post 22 Jan 2023, 09:54 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the great pictures......Aurelio

Post 22 Jan 2023, 10:42 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Cool. Nice fish. Is the Chieftain 7’6”? A 6wt?

Post 22 Jan 2023, 10:45 • #9 
Master Guide
Excellent time on the water. Nothing better than trout on glass and sharing the experience with friends. Well done, beautiful wild browns!

Post 22 Jan 2023, 11:06 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Thumbs Up!

Post 22 Jan 2023, 11:31 • #11 
Guide
Hard to beat a day like that, nicely done and thanks for sharing!

Post 22 Jan 2023, 11:36 • #12 
Guide
Well done! Great report.
Carl

Post 22 Jan 2023, 11:38 • #13 
Master Guide
Enjoyed the trip reports and the photos! Nice looking fish and great job getting out there.

Post 22 Jan 2023, 12:45 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for sharing,great to get out in the winter.Used to do it a lot myself ,the giant browns and steelhead roam the harbors in Chicago when the boats are gone.Did not flyfish back then ,we sight fished with Mepps or bait and hooked many and lost many as it was close quarters fishing off the docks.It is peaceful and quiet fishing in the snow with few people around.

Post 22 Jan 2023, 13:13 • #15 
Guide
Upstreeam yea the chieftain is a 7’6 6wt. Those painted rods are pretty good I. Their own right. Really enjoyed fishing it.

Those wild browns are a lot of fun no matter the size. They were active and full of energy, jumping up out of the water and digging hard. Tough to beat born and raised in the stream fish. Fun time

Post 22 Jan 2023, 13:51 • #16 
Guide
Brings back pleasant memories of Pennsylvania browns. Thanks for taking us along on your trip!

Post 22 Jan 2023, 14:36 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Well done! A beautiful stream, gorgeous fish, and ambiance post-fishing...as good as it gets!

Post 22 Jan 2023, 15:22 • #18 
Glad to see that it's being put to good use.

Post 22 Jan 2023, 18:51 • #19 
Master Guide
G-Man,
Way to rep Western Pa !
Nice to see the Chief still gettin some , along with the debut of the A&F Featherweight 8ft.

What lines are you using on those sweet stix ?

Tight lines in 23
Scotto

Post 22 Jan 2023, 19:43 • #20 
Guide
Scotto,

I was using LL Bean Quest WF6. Loaded both rods really well. My buddies made fun of me for how bright the line was but it did the trick.

Post 26 Jan 2023, 19:19 • #21 
Very cool! I love those green Streamlight reels

Post 26 Jan 2023, 20:55 • #22 
Guide
Very nice! I used to travel to central Pennsylvania for work and unfortunately did not have time to sample all the excellent fishing in the area. Smallmouths in the Juniata and Susquehanna, trout in all the small freestone and limestone streams. You all are blessed with a lot of great fishing options.

Post 30 Jan 2023, 15:52 • #23 
Sport
I especially liked the photo of you standing in the 3 foot tall grass.., or whatever it was.

; )

Post 11 Feb 2023, 20:39 • #24 
Master Guide
And the Hartford Whalers toque …. Class.

Post 22 Feb 2023, 12:44 • #25 
Guide
Wow! What a nice trip and a fine report. Good photos, too! LOVE those brownies!

New Topic Add Reply