It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 11:14

New Topic Add Reply
Warmwater Checklist Idea
Post 20 Jan 2023, 12:01 • #1 
Guide
A few of my fishing buddies have recently moved, and we can't fish together much anymore (factor in a bunch of young children, and well, ya know...). We came up with a cool idea to fish our local waters (parks, ditches, etc.) for all of the warmwater species that live in our respective areas. We set up a google spreadsheet, and each have a tab on it with our own checklist-- like a live log that we can all access. Not that it's *exactly* a competition, but it may turn into one!

Anyone ever do anything like this?

Post 20 Jan 2023, 15:23 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Fly fish a lot of urban waters for bass, pickerel, &c? yes; keep a log of fish caught? nope

Post 20 Jan 2023, 16:31 • #3 
Piscator
cats whisker on T130 and slider on WF-F
(end of spreadsheet except for sub-heading beer)
Image Image

Post 20 Jan 2023, 20:59 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I'm with Bulldog on this one... especially that subheading.

Post 21 Jan 2023, 07:02 • #5 
Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
cats whisker on T130 and slider on WF-F
(end of spreadsheet except for sub-heading beer)
Image Image

Ooohhh great addition!

Post 21 Jan 2023, 14:08 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I don't really keep track.I use bass bugs on the surface and senkos below.Too much slime in the local ponds for subsurface fly fishing.I did keep track last 4th of july.Suburban retention pond hot sunny middle of the day.13 bass on 15 casts.2 well over 5 all on senkos .Had to make at least 100 ft casts to get to them.Since on I am getting more steady on my feet I will be hitting the smallmouth creeks again this year.Much easier to fly fìsh for them.I do see SBs point tho it is a way to still share fishing with his friends .

Post 21 Jan 2023, 15:49 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Not sure when it happened to me about not caring about how many or how big.

Found myself enjoying the process and getting out. Catching is a bonus and a beverage is part of the process.

If I want a tug then many areas around me to catch blue gills which pound for pound are one of the hardest tugs.

Post 21 Jan 2023, 16:08 • #8 
Guide
I'm not sure if the point was missed, but this was just an idea we had to remain on contact while we live in different parts of the US. It's not really about 'caring', just a fun way that isn't a group text message.

Post 21 Jan 2023, 17:20 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
My apologize suburban. I did diverge. Agree, a great idea to connect without constantly checking text etc... again, my bad.

Eric

Post 22 Jan 2023, 14:38 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I take some pictures and keep a few from each trip. When I review them, I can remember the whole day.

Post 22 Jan 2023, 15:06 • #11 
Piscator
Donny nailed it - I remember amazing details about individual fish from decades ago, just because I have their photo.
e.g., I was sight-fishing this bass in an oxbow on the Pedernales headwaters - she was creeping, almost yawning toward my cats whisker.
The massive yellow belly dashed out and snagged the fly. The bass then fought the yellow belly and sat down at my feet while I was handling her.
I released the sunfish, daubed the fly at my feet and caught the bass - only time I ever had a 5-lb bass wait in line to eat my cats whisker.
Image Image

Post 23 Jan 2023, 13:46 • #12 
Master Guide
Targeting different species and seeing what gets caught seems like a great way to connect with your fishing Pals... Would add a little extra purpose to your outings as well. Fun.

Post 23 Jan 2023, 14:10 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Somewhere i have faded old photos taken on disposable cameras of some epic days and trips .I am not anti tech or anti anything.I was one of the last people i knew who did not have a cell phone and then kept the cameraless cell phone as long as i could.My issue with remembering places via pics is been there done that.If i remember it in my mind i am more likely to want to relive the moment by actually returning.Sounds nuts i am sure.My regrets are not having pics of many long gone fam and friends while fishing together.In today's "pics or it didn't happen world i guess i must not be much of an angler.In my working life i worked on some of the biggest buildings as well as world class high end hotels etc.Never took any pics of that either but i can drive past a skyline and pick out the ones i worked on with fond memories of the jobs and people i worked with.I still talk on the phone mostly rather than via text or email.It drives my kids and younger friends nuts at times.

Post 23 Jan 2023, 17:02 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
SuburbanFly wrote:
I'm not sure if the point was missed, but this was just an idea we had to remain on contact while we live in different parts of the US. It's not really about 'caring', just a fun way that isn't a group text message.

To an older person like myself "Google" and "Text" are kinda synonymous, both being digital communication that didn't exist until our kids had kids. The shared spread sheet would have required log books and delayed entries as well as some mailing schedule.

Post 24 Jan 2023, 11:47 • #15 
Piscator
Understand the desire to keep up with your friends, and Trev nailed a generational thing.
I keep up with my friends' fishing on internet bulletin boards (e.g. TKF) and swapping group g-mails, which work very much like a bulletin board conversation train.

Our TU chapter BOD, btw, has gone to g-mail communication for all the necessary motions and voting needed to keep programs like Trout in the Classroom (I head up for Texas) and Troutfest running smoothly; also discussions on grant requests and proposals from other TU chapters, neighbor conservation groups, and national programs.

Our younger fishing buddy Josh (neumie on FFR) maintains online spreadsheets for things like kayaks and gear, and Google Earth for kayak launch and river access points.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... jdG5uojp7k
Josh jokes that all his fishing buds are old guys, because we're the only ones who can keep up with him.
If you're wondering where Josh has been lately, they're keeping up with 2-m-o twins at his house.

Post 24 Jan 2023, 14:32 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
very cool BD.We have few groups like that and the ones we do are not very close to me.We used to have a first rate DNR but now days not so much.TU and Salmon U are still very active in regards to Lake Michigan.Illinois has no trout streams or tribs with spawning runs.If you fish Chicago lake front you have to pay to park and really don't like looking over my shoulder to fish.We have forest preserves that have some really nice ponds and small lakes but they have not been properly managed in many years.Fishing seems to be merely tolerated as opposed to promoted.Years ago the state took ear marked funding for fishin,hunting, boating etc and put it all in the general fund.Then it is dispersed by the state government at whatever amount they feel like.Surrounding states do a better job and attract anglers and make money on out of state licenses lodging etc.We are having our local fishing show again this Feb and i will probably get in an argument with the local Forest Preserve bureaucrats that set up a booth to promote the preserves but have no interest in fish management.20 some years ago some of these lakes as well as the nuke cooling lakes were featured in IN-Fisherman and other publications.What a shame.Sorry for rant but when i see folks who care and organize to make a difference i get frustrated with the local environment.

Post 24 Jan 2023, 16:25 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
OK but here comes the reminder: we don't do politics. That includes in-state or local regulatory issues. There are plenty of other sites and groups that do. Back to the specific topic, please. I don't know how we got from fishing record-keeping to regulations and costs along the Great Lakes and tribs, but not another word on that. Not one.

Personally, I have so many journals, notebooks, and photographs from decades of life outdoors, that I don't do the old school way and wouldn't touch a spreadsheet. But it's a great idea. I hope some kids I got going in fishing will do it. They probably are aleady. One day they may inherit some of my stuff and decide to give up the record keeping.

Post 24 Jan 2023, 16:42 • #18 
Piscator
probably my fault Steve - I was demonstrating how "last generation" communications, like FFR, gmail, work for communicating with friends, as well as managing complex issues and business in organizations, and specifically used GRTU as my example.
I guess everyone sees the younger generation is more flexible about picking up new apps, and putting them to good use.

Even in our last sit-down BOD meeting, there was a virtual pile-on about the old guys on the GRTU bulletin board who tell fish stories there.
Noteworthy, it wasn't about me - I haven't posted there in years, but I was trying to defend my equal-age friends who do post there.
They voted between two new platforms for the forum, and the platform that won is set up more like social media.
Will it scare the old guys away? Seemed to me they were counting on it.

Post 25 Jan 2023, 19:36 • #19 
Master Guide
I began fishing local waters in 2003; after a bunch of my club members rented a cabin in the Catskills, for a 3 day weekend trip. They were all skunked, each and everyone of them! I realized that I could be skunked anywhere. So I started to fish local. I sold my last car in 2012. Public transportation is cheaper than gas. Surprisingly, I have fished for trout, pike,carp, bass (both small & large mouth) and lots of panfish ; all within an hour's ride of New York City. Read my blog: "The Great Lakes of NYC". It features more than 160, lakes, ponds and rivers that are in the Greater New York area. Spend more time fishing and less time traveling to fish. and still no cell phone.

Post 26 Jan 2023, 00:49 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Bill your dedication to fishing is truly an inspiration to how to get it done.

Plus, your being the guru of the modern semiautomatic fly reel is no small thing.

Post 27 Jan 2023, 04:26 • #21 
Master Guide
They say it takes about ten years to become good at what you do.

Post 27 Jan 2023, 07:01 • #22 
Guide
I fish warm water 99% of the season and have my own check list for my outings. I am looking forward to seeing what others consider the necessities of warm water. Great idea.

New Topic Add Reply