It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:36

New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Jan 2023, 16:23 • #1 
Guide
Hi, did they used to make double tapers with a sink tip on one side and a floating tip on the other? I got a used reel off eBay and the sticker says DT-7S but only one side of the line has a darkened line color. The rest of the entire line is white. Could be an unrelated sticker I guess. Any ideas?

Post 11 Jan 2023, 18:47 • #2 
Master Guide
Yes. I have some English made lines like that.

Post 11 Jan 2023, 18:54 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I have an old Air Cell DT 6 that has the sink tip on both ends, so no, never seen one with floating on one end.

Post 12 Jan 2023, 03:32 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I have bought more than one reel that a sticker on it that did not match the line. I've even bought reels that had two line stickers on them and no line at all.
My lines marked DT9S are both full sinking, a Type 1 and type 3 I think. I believe that all the sink tips that I've seen were WF. Majicwrench's DT6 with sink tips surprises me, and goes to show that I can still learn something new.
If you pull the whole line off the reel is the other end tapered and the entire line between the two tapers all level? or does the level line reduce in diameter at ~30-40'?
I'd measure 30' and weigh it on the gram scale to see for sure if the line is even a #7.
I determined a long time ago that on a sinking line I don't want any taper, taper just makes the line sink unevenly. On a floating line taper serves to gentle the turnover and help make soft landing for dry flies, and if I'm not fishing dries, I don't see taper as a requirement on a floating lines either.

Post 12 Jan 2023, 04:23 • #5 
Guide
Hardy DT lines always had the sink tip on both ends.
It was frequently touted as one of the key reasons to buy a DT: two lines for the price of one!

Post 12 Jan 2023, 15:18 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I can't remember ever seeing such a line, having looked as I always thought one or two would be handy. Of course I wouldn't have checked many products marketed outside of the US, so and would like more detail on the report that such lines are/were avaialable from a European maker. Always seemed like a handy alternative for changing from F to ST midstream if each end were fitted with, or the line provided with a loop for loop-to-loop connection to the backing. Not much handier than an extra reel, but was curious to try the type--if they existed.

On this one, realize that, as mentioned, the sticker may have nothing to do with the line on the spool now. Also, the line may have been cut back at one end, thus lacking its rear, different-color taper. Have you looked at the monocolor end to see if it is tapered? With sink-tips, especially fast sinkers, wear against gravel and rock often leaves them pretty ragged. If the tip of a DT sink tip wears out and the line is reversed, someone may have simply cut off the rough worn section. That's what I do with mine, the worn, sinking section being of no use at the backing end.

Post 16 Jan 2023, 12:03 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I had two Cortland 444 DT sink tips.A DT7ST and a DT8ST.The 7 wt. was the best sink tip I ever owned.I put Armor-all on it and it cracked everywhere.Just destroyed it.Another possibility is that someone didnt have enough room on his spool for a DT and cut some off.

Post 16 Jan 2023, 12:09 • #8 
Sport
Wow if they did this I would probably buy these. Would be a pain to swap back and forth but it would be such a savings it might be worth it.

Post 16 Jan 2023, 17:53 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
With loop to loop connections, and end for end line swap can be done in midstream in a matter of minutes, just time enough to give the run a rest and look it over to figure where the fish might be.

New Topic Add Reply