It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:50

New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Jan 2023, 00:26 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I had a couple of days off so grabbed my 8'6" Fisher lined with a teeny t130. Still figuring out this line. Not sure if I was actually fishing or snagging. Probably more of the later. Note where the hook was with the shad. The Buffalo was in the mouth but honestly they are so lethargic during winter that I would be surprised they were actively feeding.

The rod fished like a champ, as always.

Post 12 Jan 2023, 23:44 • #2 
Guide
Fishing or snagging you did better than I did on my last outing on Saturday here in eastern Oklahoma. My wife and I hit some hiking trails near Lake Tenkiller and on the way back home we drove by one of my old fishies spots below a large dam. Just as we arrived the horns sounded and that started a generating schedule. The baitfish and birds were very active but no takers on my sink tip line. Usually the stripers and hybrids are very active at this spot in winter but not last Saturday.

Post 13 Jan 2023, 02:50 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
My spot was also below a dam. North Texas.
Likewise was hoping for some white bass or hybrids. Apparently they stocked trout recently but nothing. Ended up relaxing with a cold beer, cheese, and pita chips. If I was camp mode then would have harvested the Buffalo to cook and see why they sell at the markets. Imagine similar to carp?

Post 13 Jan 2023, 23:52 • #4 
Guide
I’ve caught and released a lot of buffalo over the years, including dozens last spring while fishing the white bass run. Supposedly, their rib meat is excellent and popular in Arkansas and Mississippi:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/buffalo-fish-ribs

Post 14 Jan 2023, 00:32 • #5 
Piscator
I hooked a black buffalo the size of a samsonite in the Pedernales headwaters one day, on a Tonka Queen and 1917 St. George.
Same thing, bottom bouncing a cats whisker on a Teeny line.
The fish made two trips into the backing - it was porpoising continuously the whole time.
Finally came unhooked, which was a relief.
It was a 10-min ride.
Here's the combo, different river and fish.

Post 14 Jan 2023, 17:46 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
That swelled butt Tonka Queen is a total classic "blue collar" gem. The ivorine handled St. George, diamonds and pearls!

ARReflections, I've never caught a Buffalo, seen a bunch in Custer SP and Yellowstone though. That looks like a brute of a fish, maybe in the same vein as a Jack Crevalle. Thanks for the post!

Post 14 Jan 2023, 18:33 • #7 
Piscator
Thanks John, I had another Tonka Queen that broke in the butt section. Bought a second, which gave me two tips.
I sent them to a rod builder to rebuild it and swap for a long seat that would accept the 2-7/8" St. George foot, as well as 2-5/8" prewar Young feet.

Post 21 Jan 2023, 16:11 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Ron, a cat's whisker would have been nice given how the hook rides on top. The wooly bugger did snag quite a few times with the t130 line.

John, I have caught a few of those Buffalo during the summer and they are a hoot. Like carp they can make a good number of runs. Throw in the water flow and can really test your tackle.

Southern, if I were to try buffalo then now would be best time given the cold water. Always found this time to have best taste if harvesting versus summer time fare.

Post 23 Jan 2023, 14:38 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
AAR i think any fly can be inverted and wooly buggers are no exception.I tie flies for specific BOW .1 place i fish a lot is sand bottom and slime free so fishing on the bottom for all species is very effective.So point up heavy eyed flies are what i mostly use.Other places have heavy weeds but not a lot of slime lighter eyes and thick wings work well to slide thru or along the deep weed beds.Some retention ponds have good fish populations but are hard to fish because of very heavy weeds and slime on the surface out to 30-40 feet from shore and all over the bottom.Weedless bass bugs are about the only way to fish these.Many of these have aerators but are way out of fly range .I enjoy the challenge,observing the bugs frogs crayfish and minnows as well as what is falling off the trees that the carp feed on the surface.The cat whisker is a great style or platform to endless variations similar to a clouser etc.

New Topic Add Reply