It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:13

New Topic Add Reply
Lining an SA System 6
Post 09 Jan 2023, 23:22 • #1 
Sport
Recently purchased a brand new SA System 6 (still has tags on the handle)

I’m sure many here have experience with this rod. Any advice on where you start?

Also, anyone actually have the fighting butt for this rod,

Thanks!
Matt

Post 10 Jan 2023, 01:01 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I like an old Wulff TT 6/7 on mine. But, try different lines to see what works for you.

Some of the System rods appear to have reel seats meant to use a factory fighting butt and some don't.

I've had bunch of System rods, but never had my hands on one with the actual fighting butt.

This System 10 reel seat is made for a fighting butt.

This particular System 6 isn't.

I've seen rods of the same weights with different reel seats. Don't know if it was an option or rods made in a different time period.

Post 10 Jan 2023, 06:19 • #3 
Sport
I have a System 6 and its a nice all around rod for trout and smallies. Handles small dries and large weighted streamers with ease. It is a bit of a fast action but I still enjoy. I have cast and fished quite a few different lines on it this summer and seems to like the SA frequency boost WF-6-F best. Seems like a 6 1/2 wt rod to me. Just my opinion. It throws a 5 wt okay and handles a 7 wt fine. But shines with a 6 1/2 wt. for the all around fishing I do. I think the fighting butts were an option although I have never seen one. Mine is not made for a fighting butt. I did make one for it that is removable and it works fine. Probably never use it though. Just a project of the day.
Newmin

Post 10 Jan 2023, 08:32 • #4 
Piscator
I retro-fitted a Struble fighting butt on System 7 rod with the rubber plug.
I simply used a thin sheet of rubber for a shim, and it fishes great.

Post 10 Jan 2023, 09:24 • #5 
Sport
Thanks for all of the input so far! I’ll try a few lines out in 6 and 7’s. I cast it once with an Airflo Elite DT6 and it seemed ok but did not load quite like I would like it too.
My System 6 does have the removable fighting butt and looks identical to the one Grassnglass posted.
Interesting that it seems like not many people have the fighting butts. I wonder if they were sold seperately?

Post 10 Jan 2023, 10:36 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Those reel seats were from an OEM supplier, Allan or Varmac, probably, in a more or less standard configuration. They were designed to be assembled according to the wishes of a hobbyist or volume-buyer for a production series. The absence of a premounted plug or cap enabled them to be used in both up and down locking configuration and positioned relative to the end of the blank--possibly extending somewhat--according to the builder's wishes or rod design. Then a rubber plug or cap was fitted, possibly customized to the company, as in the rubber plugs with Fenwick logo, or just in a nonstandard color. Caps might be engraved with a logo or model info.

In other words, this was a versatile OEM style that could be sourced and adapted to a maker's purpose. Especially in 6 or 7 weights and under, the plug or cap style isn't really an indication that rods with these seats were provided with a fighting butt or that a specific accessory was available. But the user could remove the cap or plug to install an easily-made fighting butt.

As for lines, the SA "System" product line was an early marketing package for no-brainer tackle selection, and they had a matching reel-size and line for each rod model. SA lines of the time were state-of-the-art to AFTMA standards. The System rods would match with a DT of the #ed weight, or that plus one in WF. More specialized lines are more a product of the graphite era and some new techniques that came with stiffer fly poles, plus the headscratching mode that purports to enable more fish catching.

But for an SA System 6, start with a DT 6 or WF7 of glass era configuration. The SA Aircel or Supreme would have been the choice of the time, and other brands would work just as well if the user preferred their texture, minor differences in taper, and so on. The, Cortalnd 333 or 444 were also go-to lines. And many house brands were very similar, produced by these same two makers and sold at lower cost. Today, the 406 lines, designed with fiberglass rods in mind, and with the era when lines were perfected for the type, might be an easy choice. But if you read the product description,there are plenty of conventional DT and WF lines available, often relatively inexpensive because they are for fishing, not scratching the head and holding the tongue a certain way.

That is a great 6 weight, among the best ever produced, then or now. Keep it simple with line choice and the rod will show you.

Post 10 Jan 2023, 11:56 • #7 
Master Guide
Just guessing - a 406 DT6 line would probably work well - they’re designed to be true-to-weight for heritage rods like yours.

Post 10 Jan 2023, 15:31 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
In my searches recently I've seen several rods with this same fighting butt. Interesting that they all seemed to have the dark reel seat which doesn't appear to have been meant for a fighting butt.

Also, contacted SA in hopes they might have some new/old stock. No luck there. Be nice to know if any catalogs from that era ever offered a fighting butt.

Post 10 Jan 2023, 21:40 • #9 
Sport
Thanks again. Many of you know your stuff! I do have a 406 DT somewhere on a reel and I’ll try that first. I’ll give it a shot this weekend. I also probably have some other older DT lines in 6 and 7. Interesting about the fighting butt. I think I will try to make one work somehow because I don’t like banging up the butt section on those reel seats.

Post 16 Jan 2023, 12:10 • #10 
Sport
5 or 6wt Rio gold would be good.

Post 25 Mar 2023, 16:20 • #11 
Sport
Love the retro-fit butt. My SA 6 has the removable plug as well and I’d love to do this with mine. Do you remembers high size struble butt you used on it? Did sone googling but I can’t find one like that.

Thanks!
Matt

Post 25 Mar 2023, 19:33 • #12 
Sport
Tagging along on this thread, I also have a system 6. Any recommendations for a WF 7 salt water line, both floating and intermediate?

Post 26 Mar 2023, 15:07 • #13 
I have a SA System 8 rod that has a black reel seat with a removable rubber plug that could be used for a fighting butt. I also have a SA System 5 that has a silver aluminum reel seat with a wood spacer that is not intended for a fighting butt. I do love those System rods.
Joe

New Topic Add Reply