It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:19

New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Jan 2023, 08:48 • #1 
Guide
Woke up @ 05:46 brewed some coffee & got to work

I've declared that 2023 is The Year Of The Rio Grande Cichlid and as such began to execute my plan by getting down to work by tying up some Rio patterns.
Last year, I stated I had a goal of fishing 50 days in 2022, fell waaayyy short of that. To avoid the sting of failure, this year I simply intend to fish more.
Got to the local around Noon. BlueBird weather in ATX - 70 degrees, partly sunny and to think the birdbath was frozen solid on Christmas.
Picked my weapon.

A generic pattern meant to get down in what i call a Tutti-Fruiti colorway. Lined up my CGR and ambled down to the pothole I always begin with on this water. The bar across the creek is Saints-centric & the game was in full swing when I began casting. I imagine the patrons glancing back at the pool between chants of "WHO DAT" wonder what the hell I was doing.
I was getting a few glances from the fish as well, but know takers. The water was still cool & my fly selecton was probably too aggressive for some chilly piscines. The fly box selection was pretty bleak, but a blk/wht LocoTopo was available. Next time I'll make sure to whip some more muted/natural type offerings.
Hooked & lost a good one the shortly landed a perfect little L. megalotis

Getting on the board on New's Year Day was enough for me, still I headed downstream to see what was happening. Spotted a mid-size Rio and launched a cast at him even though January is not generally CichlidTime. He tipped up Permit-like, eyeballed my fly & rejected it just like that- swimming away George Jefferson style :lol

Decided to head home to mow the lawn, let the dogs play outside & give the parrot some yard time.

Finished up the day by cooking up some Baby Barnaby's Green Eggs with chicken apple sausage.
Delicious. Google the recipe, it's worth it!
Very pleased with the start to 2023- The Year Of The Rio Grande Cichlid.
Hope y'all have s great year!

Last edited by GuloGulo on 18 Jan 2023, 16:35, edited 3 times in total.

Post 02 Jan 2023, 10:45 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Nice way to start the new year. Was a little worried you’d hit a year’s goal on the first day, which can put a hurt on the resolve to get out regularly. Maybe at least one each month? Could tie in nicely with the “year of” theme.

Post 02 Jan 2023, 12:32 • #3 
Guide
Hi Upstreeam,
"The Year Of.." concept is kind of broad. It involves flytying, tackle, learning new tactics, writing, woodworking etc. And to be honest, I want to catch King Rio. My PB with this species is around 10". I've seen specimens likely another 5"+ larger. That being said this is just my personal way of celebrating the species and continuing to challenge myself as an angler.
Cheers,Tom

Post 02 Jan 2023, 13:38 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Enjoy. It’s a fish I want to encounter one day.

Post 02 Jan 2023, 13:58 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
GuloGulo wrote:
The water was still cool & my fly selecton was probably too aggressive for some chilly piscines. The fly box selection was pretty bleak, but a blk/wht LocoTopo was available. Next time I'll make sure to whip some more muted/natural type offerings.

I know the feeling. This is the "picked over flybox" selection. Things that looked good at the tying bench, but are not the ones you would pick on the river. Every flybox starts out with a few, but as you loose some flies restock (and loose some more) the box ends up looking like a bedazzled wallet.

I've got a few boxes like this that I keep promising myself to getting rid of.

And congratulations on getting out new years day. I got out on the 31st, but was snowed in yesterday, so I'm still waiting to get out this year.

Post 02 Jan 2023, 14:01 • #6 
Sport
Looks like a Great way to start the year.

Post 02 Jan 2023, 14:30 • #7 
Guide
Way to kick off 2023! Looks like an enjoyable day thanks for taking us along. Hope you find time to get out more this year.

Post 18 Jan 2023, 15:51 • #8 
Guide
2nd outing of 2023-
Headed out with the Wade 3wt. Tied on a caddis green Bully's Bluegill Spider. Quickly hooked this beauty.
Then from Treat to Trick

>: >: >:
Sure hope it's under warranty....

Last edited by GuloGulo on 12 Feb 2023, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Jan 2023, 18:10 • #9 
Administrator
Ouch! That hurts to look at.

Tom

Post 12 Feb 2023, 19:42 • #10 
Guide
Got out today with the CGR & OPST combo after almost a month w/o fishing. High temps in the mid-60's after nights below 40 made for a Noon start.
Opted to fling a chartreuse Bluegill Bully to start with. No takers. Switched to a b/w Loco Moco variant. Zilch.
Soon, a wise-acre pre-teen on a BMX bike rolled up & asked what I was using.
"A fly" I said
"I know" says the punk "What kind?"
I told him what I had on & Lefty Kreh the 3rd stated this was his home water "I flyfish here all the time" & advised not only me not only to tie on a streamer but also where to cast it!!!
Little Dave Whitlock then peddled off with his cadre of snot-nosed goons & I still had yet to catch a fish....
I then tied on a streamer.

Well damn...

That fly continued to produce for the next hour out.
40 years of experience & I get schooled by Justin Bieber, I'll have to buy that kid a (root) beer if I ever see him again. HA!
And for good measure, Here's a Common Snapping Turtle within vomiting distance of the infamous 6th St.

No Herichthys yet, but so far 2023 is off to a decent start!

Post 13 Feb 2023, 12:48 • #11 
Sport
Those a Awesome looking fish.

Post 13 Feb 2023, 13:35 • #12 
Guide
cool concept, and entertaining recaps. Thanks.

Post 30 Aug 2023, 09:19 • #13 
Guide
2023 has been a PITA. Several annoying injuries kept me off my normal haunting grounds. I have the good fortune to live close to a dandy little park pond and was able to toss home-built poppers at some Greenies with a graphite TFO Lefty Kreh 3wt. Fun, I need my 'glass 3wt repaired to pursue this brand of sport.
The heat has been of the charts as well, 68 days over 100 degrees in Central TX so far & counting.
Mustered up enough gumption and headed to the Creek. Well pre-hydrated and eager to get on the board for The Year Of The Rio Grande Cichlid.
Some gear changes were born of necessity: The OPST shooting head has developed a fatal nick. So I reloaded with a sink-tip head to cast on my 7' CGR 5/6 & tied on a b/w Loco Topo.
2nd cast brought to hand a Draymond specimen-

A little while later- a splendidly colored up Longear-

Moved to a deep part of the pool, cast off a submerged shelf and then...
BINGO

Though but a pune, I'm on the board for 2023
A few more Greenies met the net. The a reclusive, young male specimen of the Rio variety decided to play.

Glad to finally get some Rio action this year. It's been tough sledding but hopefully the Autumn will redeem this brutal summer.

Post 31 Aug 2023, 08:44 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Pretty fish. I hope you're healing well. It takes longer as we age.

I like the CGR 5/6, though I seem to recall that model being 7'6" ? Have caught quite a few fish on mine, and even got a second some years ago.

New Topic Add Reply