It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:39

New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 Dec 2022, 15:37 • #1 
Sport
Hi all,
After much consideration I went hard (auction site) for one of these circa 1951 relics a few weeks ago, and it is really nice. Aside from a rich patina on all the guides, it is as new. I cleaned up some slight factory overrun of glue at the grip-reel seat juncture, the hoods and knurled locking ring are still a mottled "black chrome" appearance, assuming that's original with age.

To my topic, this beautiful piece is nearly 5 ounces, and very tip heavy at that. No real surprise since Heddon was taking a swing at the Wonderod, but a reel that even looks proportional is going to be a trick. My Martin 72 without line is about there, but that's my reel for a 9' 8 weight bass outfit. A 1495 Medalist looks a little big, 1494 is way light even with spool full of tungsten shot (about 2 ounces). I want to stay narrow vintage, and I prefer a tip down fishing position, but not feeling it all the time.

Unless there's a better solution, I'll probably just jam a dedicated 1495 spool full of tungsten... at about 8.5 ounces with backing and line, and make do.

Seems weird looking for a small, extra heavy reel! Hope I can locate a possibility for spring. Thanks to all for replies, Charlie

Post 05 Dec 2022, 16:00 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Not sure about their weight, but a Heddon automatic would look good.

Post 05 Dec 2022, 19:43 • #3 
Sport
That's a great point and good suggestion there GRASSNGLASS, the weight would be right in there. I have three like new autos but no Heddons. How do the 37, 57, and 87 compare to each other before I go looking? I'm not a big fan of autos because of being so mechanical and clunky, but the familial connection and colors are interesting.

Post 05 Dec 2022, 21:09 • #4 
Master Guide
If you're good with right hand wind maybe a Holmes. Not sure of dimensions though.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7423&hilit=Holmes&start=0

Even better might be a Stuart. Another perfects style reel, also heavy but smaller diameter.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69253&p=375291&hilit=Stuart#p375291

Post 05 Dec 2022, 21:16 • #5 
Master Guide
I’m going to put this out there just as a thought what about a Prescionbuilt Mosquito
Heavy but not overly large diameter.

Post 05 Dec 2022, 22:25 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Sorry, I don't know the weights of the different Heddons. Someone might know if you posted a question on the reel section.

I believe Heddon also marketed some Hardy clones that might work in the larger size.

But actually how can you go wrong with a Medalist.

Post 06 Dec 2022, 08:32 • #7 
Master Guide
Maybe a JW Young Beaudex, they are heavy and from the same time period. Or a Martin 70, the drag makes them heavy like your 72.

Post 06 Dec 2022, 09:25 • #8 
Master Guide
What about a Medalist 1494 1/2. More room to add weight if needed and decent diameter

Post 06 Dec 2022, 11:25 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
There's a point where it becomes futile to look for static balance point other than what is natural to the rod type and typical reels used with it. Tip heavy--forward of the gripping point--is a comfortable fishing position, and in casting it slows the application of power to a gradual acceleration that suits the action of many glass rods, especially early ones. At the time, remember, the oft-used term "balanced" meant "well-matched," not necessarily fulcrum-positioned at some universal point regardless of the gear. And anglers used several different reels on just one rod, grip shape and length designed for slightly different hand positions. Anything from the Pflueger 1494 through Martin 70 through autoloader will match that rod according to its intended use.

As for proportion, that's relative and based on prior visual conditioning. Just as an example, not too long ago, 15" tires looked huge and wide on small sedans. Today, with 17 and 18" sizes prevailing, those same tires "look" small and narrow. Same for rod-reel diameters in the 1494 to 1495 range will "look" fine if they hold the line and backing needed. Once used to the "feel," that "look" isn't noticed anyhow. The Martin 70 mentioned above, though, sounds like a good choice because it will have similar look and feel to an outfit you're already comfortable with.

Post 08 Dec 2022, 17:39 • #10 
Guide
I have a Heddon T30 8 footer which is a great rod but very tip heavy like yours. Initially I fished it with a Heddon Imperial which is the only reel that will truly fit the reel seets on these rods. I used leadcore under the backing to bring it into static balance. For the last couple of years I've been using my Shakespeare 1900 which is also a good match.

Post 11 Dec 2022, 22:38 • #11 
Master Guide
Lol
Great Score Charlie :)
That rod is my Eleanor …
Every time I try to buy one it goes sideways like Nick Cage in the movie gone in 60 seconds
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RedV7vhVKHY

I was ready to bid super deep but you sent in the winning offer with 3hrs left on that auction..

Funny thing it went unsold/unbid the first time .
I was out of range and couldn’t bid .

That’s the rod I was eyeing and why I didn’t reply on your last Heddon post .

It’s like the 5th time a GF702 has slipped through my grip..

I think …
I’m just not supposed to own that model!

Take care of my Unicorn ..she’s a Creampuff
Cheers Scotto

Post 19 Dec 2022, 19:37 • #12 
Sport
Yeah Scotto, you know more about the auction than I do!
Funny analogy too, as a '67 Shelby is my absolute dream car....preferably the GT 350 model though, I'm a small block guy. :lol

The #GF 702 is probably going to be right up there with the Golden Eagle for favorite to fish. Mainly because of the pedigree, as I think Heddon really hung a big hat on this rod.

The reason for this is the 1951 Heddon Museum print pre-release advertisement (thanks to post of Mark/wrong88) stating "result of several years experimentation". Post war fishing products, in particular rods, were steeped in brand loyalty and skepticism of technology. Bamboo was the tried and true fine rod building material, Heddon being a major player they tip toed into so called "Tubular Glass" deliberately with the "browntone" bamboo effect finish. Setting themselves apart from the stark and established Shakespeare Wonderods by such subtlety, and somewhat under pricing their high end bamboo at $35.00 ($400 today :eek ).
Off they went, and with the upstarts in Kent Washington a few years later (Fenwick of course) most of us have had a full lifetime of enjoying our favorite rods! Some conjecture on my part as far as the whys and R&D of the time, I'm sure others will freely share any evidence of my misconceptions. That's what the forum's for right? ;)

Thanks Scotto for your colorful interjection, and all for the advise on reels. I have a brand new Medalist 1495 Akron build with a few Onepfoot upgrades at about 6.2 ounces that is so period that I can't resist, leaving me a bit tip heavy even with line.
Charlie

Post 19 Dec 2022, 20:20 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I have several 7 1/2' rods that the 1495 looks just right on, to me. I guess it's what you get used to. I used the 1498s on everything for the first 35 years.
But you can increase the weight of that 1494 some more by winding on some trolling line in place of backing. About 40' to the ounce, if I remember right.(also a fine source of lead for fly tying)
Personally I'd never try for finger balance, I so rarely carry a fly rod in the reel on condition that it seems rather pointless for me, it would make more sense for the way use one for the rod to balance tip low with 30-40' of line out on the water.

Post 21 Dec 2022, 14:35 • #14 
Sport
Thanks Trev for your input,
I'm leaning toward your practical 1495 choice despite my feeling like the 1494 looks better to me. I'd add tungsten shot through the spool cap, and would gain over two ounces. It irks me to go that route but even 8.5 ounces is pretty tip down without line.
Having an outfit that would have been available before I was born that suits my favorite fishing is going to be very satisfying to me.
Thanks all again, Charlie

Post 22 Dec 2022, 10:23 • #15 
Master Guide
Another option for weight is to get some lead tape from the golf pro shop. I it down a layer of backing then the tape. That way the tape doesn’t stick to the spool and mess up the finish( especially on Pfluegers). Then add you backing and line.

Post 29 Dec 2022, 22:24 • #16 
Administrator
OlGlass56 wrote:
...as I think Heddon really hung a big hat on this rod. The reason for this is the 1951 Heddon Museum print pre-release advertisement (thanks to post of Mark/wrong88) stating "result of several years experimentation". Post war fishing products, in particular rods, were steeped in brand loyalty and skepticism of technology. Bamboo was the tried and true fine rod building material, Heddon being a major player they tip toed into so called "Tubular Glass" deliberately with the "browntone" bamboo effect finish.

Shakespeare was the only established rod company to immediately jump into the post war fiberglass market. They invested big, hiring Arthur Howald, developing the Howald process, and marketing their Wonder Rods. Other early glass companies were new punks; Phantom Products, NARMCO (producers of Conolon rods), Harnell, followed a couple years later by ActionRod, Pacific Laminates (producers of Silaflex rods), and Lamiglas. These start ups pushed new technology into a rapidly expanding market.

By the late 40s/early 50s additional established rod companies had joined the fiberglass market. South Bend, Horrocks Ibbotson, Montague, Heddon, Wright & McGill, and Phillipson (a new company with very established staff) were all known for their split cane fishing rods. The true driving force for adopting fiberglass was quite pedestrian. The US entry into the Korean war led to a complete embargo on Tonkin bamboo, the principal raw material for cane rod production*. The established companies needed new product lines quickly. In addition, the Libbey Owens fiberglass rod patent was issued in 1951. Because Libbey Owens sold fiberglass fiber, not fishing rods, they granted technology licenses for $1 (see Johnson & Johnson's Fiberglass Fly Rods, p 148). For the established companies, selling fiberglass was a cheap and effective way to stay in business.

In essence, the sudden switchover to fiberglass placed all companies back at the starting line racing for market share (the same thing happened with graphite in the 70s). Established companies leveraged their brand names. Start ups leveraged their innovation. Shakespeare leveraged both! All companies built new production facilities, bought fiberglass pre-preg from Hexcel, and poached each other's personnel. The established companies dumped cane production before the decade was over**.

Heddon was one of the more successful operations, producing rods under different ownership groups until the mid 80s. Of the companies mentioned above, only Shakespeare (part of Pure Fishing), Wright & McGill (Eagle Claw), and Lamiglas still have a market presence.

Tom

* Cane imports were restricted by the late 40s and shut off altogether in the early 50s. The existing stocks of Tonkin cane supported the limited rod production of high end shops like Leonard, Winston, and Orvis. Normalization of Chinese trade relations in the early 70s allowed small scale cane rod builders to flourish, but that is a whole different forum...
** Unlike most, Phillipson cataloged cane rods until the early 70s.

Post 13 Jan 2023, 21:29 • #17 
Master Guide
I just love those old school first generation glass rods.

Charlie , Heddon definitely hung a big hat on those first rods.
Super classy with quality components throughout .

My Eleanor just arrived this week .

Initially I set it up with a 1495 ..
Scored a 1594RC that I’ll get a silver latch spool cover and run on my GF702
The extra weight of the skirted spool and the counterbalance give the 1594rc about the same weight as the larger 1495.

A lil leadcore may be needed to get it balanced just right .
I believe Tom says you’ll need about 8.5 oz total reel weight to get it perfect with some line out .
75 yds backing and a spool of wf6 gets me to like 7.8 oz on either 1495 or the 1594rc.
I’ll have to stop down My local shop and pick up some leadcore to get it dailed this weekend
Tight Lines in 23
Scotto

New Topic Add Reply