It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:59

New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Nov 2022, 00:11 • #1 
Guide
We had snow on the ground here in Minnesota last week, but several days in the high 40s and low 50s made most of it disappear. And today was supposed to be the warmest of them all, close to 60, which is highly unusual this late in November. The warm temps made my buddy, Bryon, want to do some fishing. The closest trout streams that are open for fishing around here are about 2.5 hours away, so he decided to hit the mighty Mississippi, about 5 minutes from his house. When he told me he was going, I knew there was little chance of catching anything, since the water was bound to be cold, and the fish either lethargic or moved to deeper water. Yet, when he asked if I wanted to join him, I jumped at the chance! I guess we are both hopelessly optimistic!

We hit the big river at a stretch that is bounded on the west side by one major freeway, and which flows under another major freeway about a quarter mile upstream. We were probably about 2 or 3 miles above downtown Minneapolis. We had fished here before, in the hot summer months when the smallmouth bass were abundant and aggressive. Today they were neither. But, we had a fun time flailing away for a couple of hours anyway.

Some pics:
Looking upstream

I started with a Tequeely, which I have never had luck with. That streak continued.

Rod of the day: a sweet Sage 789SFL I acquired a couple of years ago. It was built by a local famous fly casting guru, who never actually fished with it. Today was the first time I have fished with it. It performed beautifully.

Shelf ice

Looking downstream towards downtown

Cool trees full of nests on an island. Not sure what kind of nests they are. Any guesses?

Switched to a white and grey Clouser Minnow. It also caught nothing...

Oh well, it was just fun to get out and do some fishing in November!

Post 27 Nov 2022, 09:54 • #2 
The nests on the island form a great blue heron rookery. Nice photos from my home city.

Post 27 Nov 2022, 13:12 • #3 
Guide
"The nests on the island form a great blue heron rookery. Nice photos from my home city."

That's kind of what I was thinking, but wasn't sure they were big enough for Great Blue Herons. I was wondering if maybe they were egrets...

Post 27 Nov 2022, 15:23 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful!

The reasons we go fishing don't always include fish

Post 28 Nov 2022, 09:48 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Nice rod ! Getting out and fishing is better than sitting on the couch watching TV, for sure.

Post 28 Nov 2022, 18:54 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Nice pics! And Fresh Air is always good!

Post 29 Nov 2022, 17:16 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
nice to get out at least..

I always wonder, what are the bass up to in these cold/frozen waters ? lying on the bottom concentrating on breathing I guess..

Post 30 Nov 2022, 08:19 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful rod and hope you can get into some nice walleye future......Aurelio

Post 30 Nov 2022, 18:45 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
doug in co wrote:
nice to get out at least..

I always wonder, what are the bass up to in these cold/frozen waters ? lying on the bottom concentrating on breathing I guess..

Lots of bass caught thru the ice around here.

Post 09 Dec 2022, 15:34 • #10 
That’s a good area that doesn’t get a ton of pressure!

Post 09 Dec 2022, 16:04 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
The Mississippi backwaters down by us used to have some epic ice fishing .Only a21/2 hour drive for me.Maybe it still does.The main river rarely freezes solid but it is a different river down here.It is hard to catch fish on flies in very cold water except for trout .Walleyes perch and pike feed well in the winter but they tend to be deep.You can actually wipe out a catfish population in a pond as they will find the deepest hole and most will be there.I just know i have caught almost every species we have thru the ice so they only go semi dormant.When the ice leaves shallow water on a north bank will have feeding fish almost instantly especially rip rap and wood in the water.

Post 09 Dec 2022, 17:05 • #12 
Guide
Stay strong Chaoticscott, those will be THE perfect flies in about 5 months. :P

I'm particularly fond of Tequeely streamers in slightly stained water. On my nearby rivers there are days when I can do no wrong with those tied on.

New Topic Add Reply