It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:10

New Topic Add Reply
Fenwick Voyager
Post 26 Nov 2022, 12:25 • #1 
Master Guide

Look at what I found after more than a decade! I found my long lost voyager fly rod in a drawer in my desk. I took it out last night to see how it would cast my orvis fly line which I have tested with several of my other rods. I was truly surprised that it cast almost as well as my orvis full flex fiberglass fly rod. I think the overlining of the 6 wt voyager with the 8 wt orvis line helped. I tried a number of different casts, roll, back, snap T, snake and poked it a few times too! Lots of fun even though it is only 7 feet long

Re: Fenwick Voyager
Post 26 Nov 2022, 14:28 • #2 
Master Guide
Looks like a spinning rod based on the reel seat and guides.
Should be a fun rod to spin or fly fish with it.

Post 26 Nov 2022, 16:26 • #3 
Master Guide
These were marketed and labeled as spin and fly rods. All the USA versions of the Fenwick SF74-4 rods that I have handled (guessing that's what it is) were labeled 6wt for fly and 2-6 lb. test and 1/8-3/8 oz. lure weight for spinning. The SF74-4 that I still have is from the 1977-1978 model year and has chrome guides without inserts, but they are still spinning guides. While mine has caught more fish as a spinning rod, it has still caught its share with 6wt and 7wt fly lines.

Glad you found your rod, Bill!

Last edited by LeoCreek on 27 Nov 2022, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Nov 2022, 17:53 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Go Bill ! I would be concerned how somebody got in your office to put that rod back in the desk! One time I had been missing one, but eventually it showed up in the back of a closet. I never did figure out how the person who took it got in and out of there without my knowing it. Or how he knew I sometimes put rods in there. It was over the winter.

Post 30 Nov 2022, 19:56 • #5 
Master Guide
LOL! I have too many rod & reels And I will not talk about my collection of flies, both fresh,salt and carp!

New Topic Add Reply