It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:19

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Nov 2022, 18:37 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Friends, I need some help to find something I need that is no longer made.

EDIT: Found some, thanks! But, you might want to watch the video at the end anyway. :-)

I am looking for an old fly line that had a braided or solid core, around which the flyline material was added.

Please refer to the picture below. I am looking for an old fly line that was manufactured like the two top orange pieces of line (in the center) that show the braided core sticking out on the left end. I use this for a strike indicator that does not float (since the surface velocity with a floating indicator will drag the submerged nymph).

Cortland made some skinny ones that have a clear plastic core (third orange line down in the center with a package shown on the left. These are narrower and harder to track as they sink.

On the right is a Rio product that is similar but they are made of foam and float...defeating my purpose of watching a strike indicator that is below the surface.

In earlier days, fly lines were made with the braided core like the two segments at the top center of my photo. If anybody has an old line like that, I'd like to buy it...I figure it would be a lifetime supply. Any line weight, any color will be fine for my purposes.

I learned this technique from Harry Murray's book and he does sell some today but charges a lot for it, and I want to have a fair amount stockpiled.

I am hoping that somebody has an old line of this construction who wouldn't mind parting with it. If that is you, please PM me.

At this link is a fishing video I made yesterday going after the same pod of trout I posted about earlier using this type of sinking strike indicator, and it's effectiveness is obvious. That rod is a graphite 4 pc, Maxcatch, 11 ft, 3 wt with a 4 wt Cortland Czech Nymphing line on an Orvis Access reel that I got from Robert some time back (thanks Robert).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAQ8WNBIlN8

Thanks, Donny

Last edited by paveglass on 21 Nov 2022, 20:31, edited 3 times in total.

Post 21 Nov 2022, 20:18 • #2 
Guide
Donny,

Wow, non stop action under that bridge. Thanks for sharing the video is was a great watch. That technique you use seems to work very well.

Post 21 Nov 2022, 20:27 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
That pod of stockers has been there all week. Might as well help educate them, I figure. :-) You can see why I am looking for an unobtrusive sinking strike indicator. Glad I found what I was looking for.

Post 21 Nov 2022, 20:31 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Donny, I have a white/yellow line that I have labeled L5F that has a braided core, not sure how you get the core out but you are welcome to it if you want it. I would think something like an 8wt would be better, I'm still looking, if you want it send me your address and it will be zooming your way

EDIT
Ha, you edited while I was typing. Glad you got something!

Post 21 Nov 2022, 20:34 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Majic! If what I found doesn't work, I'll get in touch. But thanks again!

What I do is carefully cut the outer coating and pull the coating off like when you cut the insulation off a wire by pulling it off the end.

Post 21 Nov 2022, 20:47 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I used to get the coating off by soaking in acetone, it loosened it up good, but also made it real soft. Not sure if it would regain it's form after the acetone evaporated... We spliced shooting heads on that way in the good ole days

Post 22 Nov 2022, 10:42 • #7 
Guide
paveglass, I get the concept but can you kindly explain exactly how you rig this?

Looks like it would be good for the winter nymphing for Grayling I plan to do.

Post 22 Nov 2022, 19:02 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Mahseer, I use 5 1/2 ft of a 7 1/2 ft #1X tapered leader and cut off the last 2 ft (tippet). Then I add 2 ft of 1X Rio Sighter material. To that I add 3 ft of 12# monofilament ending in a tippet ring. I slip this material onto the 12 lb mono before tying on the tippet ring. Streamside I add about 4 ft of 4X or 5X tippet (depending on conditions) to whatever end game I want for either single or dual nymphs.

The advantage is that you can see the indicator below the surface of the water and the long leader allows you to keep your fly line off the water. This helps because the speed of the surface of the water would cause the nymph to drag since the flow of the stream near the bottom is so much slower. With only monofilament in the flow, the line will not drag the fly. This allows the nymph to get down where you want it and you can watch that small indicator and the sighter to know when to set the hook. I am convinced that the trout mouth a lot of nymphs that we never know about and miss.

If you watch the video at the link posted, you can see how effective this is, given that I have a huge pod of fish almost right next to me. Note: This setup casts poorly and a oval shaped cast from pickup to placement works best.

PM sent.

Post 22 Nov 2022, 23:29 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I often fish similar situations with a tuft of hot pink yarn (pea sized) about 18" above my fly. An indicator way up the line is not near as effective.

And you are correct, lots of fish grab our flies and we haven't a clue.

Post 23 Nov 2022, 00:09 • #10 
Guide
Many thanks for the detailed reply paveglass. All clear now!

Post 24 Nov 2022, 21:32 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
The N.Z. yarn indicator, also works well, and you can find them at the fly shop.

Post 26 Nov 2022, 04:40 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Funny thing, I read about and tried this many years ago, want to say it was a Borger article ca 1980, but my memory is fuzzy, then never saw them mentioned again until last week when a fellow on another forum was looking for old Air Cel orange level line to make floating indicators with -
I found these Rio packs for him on https://www.amazon.com/RIO-Kahuna-Strike-Indicator-Chartreuse/dp/B07HSY6VR7/ref=sr_1_152?keywords=fly+line+indicator&qid=1669454386&sr=8-152 and on https://www.avidmax.com/rio-kahuna-lt-strike-indicators/#:~:text=RIO%20Kahuna%20LT%20Strike%20Indicator%20is%20an%20ingenious,a%20simple%20wire%20threader%20to%20make%20this%20easier.
As well as the Murray package that you mention.
Someone else with a friend at SA that he asked suggested the Air Cel WF Panfish in orange would work- https://www.amazon.com/Scientific-Anglers-4012751-Floating-Panfish/dp/B015YP4LFA/ref=sr_1_25?crid=3GC2L61HOOYVB&keywords=fly+line+orange+air+cel&qid=1669455210&sprefix=fly+line+orange+air+cel%2Caps%2C100&sr=8-25
although by the profile you only get about 30' of level line in the that would be usable for slip on indicators.

Post 10 Dec 2022, 08:03 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Really great video ..........Aurelio

New Topic Add Reply