It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:00

New Topic Add Reply
Finally some rain!!!
Post 12 Nov 2022, 22:01 • #1 
Guide
Today has been the day I’ve been waiting for for quite awhile. Pa has not gotten much rain the past few months. The streams were low and clear and did not make for great fishing.

On Thursday one of my fishing friends, Brad, told me we were expected to get 2 plus inches of rain Friday. He asked me if I wanted to fish Saturday and I gave him a resounding yes to his question.

Friday came and my alarm went off for work. It’s after I hit cancel on my phone that I heard the sound I’ve been waiting to hear….rain! The best part was it was just a nice slow and steady rain fall, setting up our Saturday trip to be a good one. The water should come up slowly and there should be just enough color to make our trip pretty good. All day I had a smile on my face, excited to see if the conditions would play out the way we hoped.

The whole drive to our favorite stream had me nervous. I couldn’t wait to get to our normal parking spot and check the stream at the bridge. When I arrived I hoped out of my truck and looked down at the stream, flow was at spring levels and it wasn’t chocolate milk! We were going to fish.

My weapon of choice was a recently acquired PF75- Macy’s fishing store rod made by Phillipson.

Loaded with a 406 dt6 on a Pflueger medalist I hit the stream.

The water was moving fairly quick so I opted to nymph and see how it went on the short rod. I went with a drop shot rig using a brown lively legz double trouble and a yellow egg (our brown trout in this stream can’t resist it).

My buddy caught the first fish a nice little wild brown. I headed up stream to a spot where I'd caught some stocked rainbows earlier in the spring. A couple good drifts and nothing. Then I got the drift I was looking for and at the back end of the hole my line stopped with a thud! I set the hook and at first I thought I was stuck on the bottom. Nope! A nice sized brown came to the surface and I could see it was in spawning colors. I called for my friend to come up to snap a few pics. Great way to start my day.

The yellow egg was too enticing.

The PF75 handled it well and it felt good having a decent fish on. We kept fishing and moved up to the next hole. I hooked up again, yellow egg. I tried to snap a picture but the fish was full of energy and took off. Smaller than my previous fish and not as colored up.

Right above where I hooked up my friend was on. He was using his Orvis Clearwater 10’ 3wt with an egg and black woolly bugger. He was on with his second brown on the black bugger.
Typical size brown for this stream, nice blue halo behind its eye.

After that Brad and I decided to head to a small native brook trout stream that we figured would be in as perfect of shape as it could be. I tied on a dry dropper rig with a big stimulator on top (knowing they probably wouldn’t come up for it) and a yellow micro mop. My friend Brad switched to a 7’6 Orvis Clearwater and tied on a small sculpin snack he tied up earlier in the week. I struck out at the first three decent holes. He picked up two little brookies fishing clean up behind me. I was getting a little frustrated because the conditions were perfect and I was yet to hook up. Stepped up the next hole and my stimulator goes under after a short drift. It was not big but I was on the board with the Macy’s rod with a brookie.

I had a nice one on not far from where I landed that little guy but it came off before I could get it in the net. It was all colored up and had more size than the previous fish. We both were looking forward to the culvert hole where we knew a couple big ones roamed along with several smaller ones. We’ve had a lot of success at that spot when fishing was tough at the other holes. I gave Brad fist shot and he put in several great casts. Nothing, nothing and nothing some more. We couldn’t believe that he didn’t even pick up a small one. He stepped aside and told me to give it a go. Second cast I put my dry dropper rig right where I wanted it. Half way through the drift my dry disappeared and I set the hook. As soon as it came to the top we both knew it was a good fish and it was colored up.

It’s fin’s were a deep red

We couldn’t get over the color in his tail either

Brad took a head shot too and I’m glad he did, great fish. Had to black mouth too.

We hit one more hole but we were blanked and decided to end on a high end and go grab some food at our favorite place to eat. It’s an old school general store which serves homemade hot food daily. Every day they have something different and it’s always good. I went with a chipotle honey sausage sandwich with peppers and onions while Brad opted for the smoked turkey sandwich on a pretzel bun. Not a bad way to finish up our day.

Felt good to get out on the stream again under good conditions. Did not see another soul on the water and enjoyed some good company. This was the first of many outings to come with the Macy’s rod. It’s story is just beginning…

Re: Finally some rain!!!
Post 12 Nov 2022, 22:11 • #2 
Guide
Awesome report and wonderful pictures, thanks for taking us along!

Post 12 Nov 2022, 23:03 • #3 
Nice to see that rod getting some action. Thanks for sharing.

Post 12 Nov 2022, 23:17 • #4 
Master Guide
Sounds like a great outing - fishing with a buddy, fish, great pics to remind you of it, and catching fish on the new to you rod!

Post 13 Nov 2022, 00:48 • #5 
Master Guide
And there she is the..
Macy’s Fishing Shop Special !! :eek

Post 13 Nov 2022, 07:36 • #6 
Guide
Yes! Welcomed that rain and took advantage on my local waters as well. Beautiful brookie!

Post 13 Nov 2022, 12:42 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Those are some beautifully colored Brookies!

Post 13 Nov 2022, 17:48 • #8 
Sport
Great fishing trip with a good friend. All those trout look magnificent but the colours of those brook trout are truly beautiful. Here in Victoria, Australia, we mostly have brown and rainbow trout but there are a few rivers where brook trout have established themselves after the original escapes from nearby hatcheries. When I've fully recovered from my recent bowel cancer surgery and chemo therapy then possibly liver surgery ( Yes, I know, the excitement just never ends!) I intend to fish the Rubicon River, NE of where I live and target those brook trout as well as the browns and rainbows. I'll be fishing the stream with my long time friend and fishing companion. Much like you in your video. Thanks for your report, it has given me a lift that I needed.

Cheers,
Steve

Post 13 Nov 2022, 18:16 • #9 
Guide
Steve,

So glad my little write up lifted your spirits. Brook trout are very pretty indeed. Sounds like you’re going through a battle right now but use the thought of catching those guys as motivation! Hoping for a clean bill of health!

Gary

Post 13 Nov 2022, 20:00 • #10 
Guide
Very cool...did not know Macy's sold Phillipson rods

Post 13 Nov 2022, 21:50 • #11 
Master Guide
Thanks for sharing and I’m trying your technique/flies next week around Brooke County WV .

Post 14 Nov 2022, 23:46 • #12 
Sport
G'Day Gary,

Thanks Mate,

Steve

Post 15 Nov 2022, 09:57 • #13 
Guide
The brook trout look like jewels! Their Fall colors are simply spectacular.

Post 15 Nov 2022, 17:42 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Jewels, perfect visual analogy. Cool Phillipson from way pre-Federated owned Macy's. Never seen one before, thanks for a great post!

New Topic Add Reply