It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:30

New Topic Add Reply
Crab Sucker
Post 09 Nov 2022, 17:42 • #1 
Master Guide
In June, I waded one of my favorite Ozark creeks and caught a nice Sucker. Sitting around waiting to do exercises and physical therapy has me watching fishing videos of folks catching Smallies this past weekend just 2 or 3 miles from the house. I’m just digging through photos of this years’ outings on the water.

I had my right knee replaced exactly 6 weeks ago. Hoping to be wading this Spring. I’m making good progress in rehab. One reason I didn’t get out on the water near as much was I was doing a “prehab” before surgery. Though I could barely walk a mile on pavement, I could wade fish pretty well and rode a bike very well. And that bike was ridden every other day. Blah, blah, blah.

Last year, I decided to add another pattern to the fly box. Mostly, because I was bored and had filled the fly box up well before Spring. And the Bone Bug (flats crab) was chosen from a book I found at a used bookstore a few years ago. I’ve caught mostly panfish on the pattern but also this Sucker. I drifted the Bone Bug past a fallen tree in the middle of the creek and this fella chased it down and tagged it after about 20 feet before I set the hook and had fun on the Lami 96-6.

I also added the Holshlag Hair Fly to my box. Currently, I’m powder coating 1/32 jigs in red and also silver. I’ve had quite a bit of success using Cabela’s 1/32 silver jigs tied up in olive or black buggers but can’t find the hooks online and it’s rare to find them in store. So, I keep busy with the flies and the rehab.

Re: Crab Sucker
Post 09 Nov 2022, 20:19 • #2 
Guide
Amazing!
I always like blurring flies and their intended uses!
Best of luck to you
(Suckers are the Freshwater bones)

Post 09 Nov 2022, 20:47 • #3 
Guide
good stuff and keep at it on the knee rehab

Post 09 Nov 2022, 21:40 • #4 
Guide
Sounds like your rehab is going well, even if it doesn’t feel like it. Tying flies & experimenting with older patterns is a great way to pass the time while you’re healing up as well. Having a fish chase your fly 20 feet can be quite thrilling, even if it was a sucker!

Post 09 Nov 2022, 22:18 • #5 
Guide
Nice looking pattern. Thanks for sharing your story. Hope the rehab goes well and you can get out soon!

Post 09 Nov 2022, 22:52 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Suckers certainly are not the easiest fish to catch on a fly, but they will sure give you a good fight when you do manage to hook one. As a physical therapist I really liked working with the patients who had been doing prehab prior to surgery. Made my job easier for sure, and the patient usually made significantly faster progress than those who were sedentary prior to surgery. Coming back from total knee replacement is not the easiest, but I would think you should be ready for wading come spring. In addition to working on strength and range of motion, you should definitely do some balance work with that leg.

Larry

Post 09 Nov 2022, 23:39 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thats not a bad sized sucker.

Post 12 Nov 2022, 10:33 • #8 
Master Guide
Panfish74 hope you get that knee good to go for next season.
Just wait til you hit 50… :lol
Keep riding that bike !!

At 52 I’m just the opposite of you in that I hardly ever wade ..
My right ankle was reconstructed in 1991 along with a tendon graft/reattachment on my left ankle/1st and 2nd toes in 2004..
I can’t take rolling my ankles on slippery round cobble every time I go wading ..(drives me crazy)
I stay on the bank and climb a lot of boulders these days .
There are a few larger sandy-bottom streams I wet wade with my sons/buddy’s in the summertime.

That’s a sweet white sucker you’ve got there .
We have them in Maryland but they are kinda rare to actually catch on the regular .
Last one I caught was New Year’s Eve 1983 jigging a small wollybugger.

I’m gonna have to swing by that hole this holiday season..
Thanks for blasting me back to my past for a second.

Scotto

New Topic Add Reply