It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:38

New Topic Add Reply
Pint sized park gills
Post 06 Nov 2022, 18:13 • #1 
Guide
With such nice weather here in PA, the decision was made for me, I had to get a new to me Phillipson Chieftain out on the water. (Thanks Fithian11) With little rain in the past two months my choices were limited. My local keystone select stream would have been a choice had we had more rain. Freshly stocked by the state and fly shop, it is full of hungry fish. But I passed on that and took a short drive to my local park.

Not very many people fishing but the geese were enjoying the water. They were taking off and landing one group after another. They also were not offering much solitude with all the honking going on.

I just needed some casting therapy and wasn’t really focused on catching. More so just the constant motion that didn’t require much thought. The TC 76 roll casted nicely with little effort. I hooked a few and lost a few before I finally decided to snap a photo. They were all around the same size. Nothing big, but still felt nice to have something on the end of the rod.

Caught a couple more and decided to do the obligatory rod photo.

As the sun faded behind the horizon I decided to pack it up and head home. It was an hour well spent and hour that was desperately needed. That will likely be my final trip to the local park with winter closing in. However, some rain is in the forecast and I’m going to put the chieftain through its paces on some big rainbows. I’ll have the chance to really cast it and not just roll cast it soon enough. I have no doubts it will live up to the expectations I have for it.

Post 06 Nov 2022, 18:17 • #2 
Master Guide
Looks like you enjoyed the weather and had some fun!

Post 06 Nov 2022, 20:20 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Fortunate to have a several similar ponds within a few miles of home.Nice just to have some water to cast on.I chased the stocked trout a few days and caught nothing but those aggressive little gills.I would spot some cruising trout but the little bandits hit the fly immediately.Our late fall warm spell had them fired up for sure.Will be highs in the 30s next week,will give the trout another try.What is that nice little bead head you were throwing?

Post 06 Nov 2022, 20:41 • #4 
Guide
Hersh, that is a fly tied by a Pennsylvania company, Lively Legz. Nice group of guys, good customer service and fast shipping. It’s called a double trouble. Nice little stone fly imitation. That’s been my best producer this year nymphing and using it as the drop on the dry dropper rig.

Post 06 Nov 2022, 21:02 • #5 
Master Guide
Sheesh!!
No mention of what line you were roll casting with.. nor what reel your rocking and how’s its balanced ?
And you want to be The Chieftain ?? :lol

What kind of glass disciple does that ?
JK G-man ! ;)

So stoked you got the Chief out before the season closes up .

No doubt you were Dry-Droppering those Gills?

Looks like your Micro-Fishing skills are in line with Team Blue Heron Standards

Great Job , Fish on!
Scotto

Post 06 Nov 2022, 21:14 • #6 
Guide
Scotto, I was using a dt6 from 406. Had it on my Pflueger medalist. Balance wasn’t the best, I’ve got a couple reels in the running to go on the rod come spring time. I was not doing dry dropper this time, used the good old bobber on top! (Strike indicator for the purists) jk Very light takes.

Trying to get my micro fishing badge so I can start being a micro fishing guide for Blue Heron.

Really think I’m going to have a hard time putting that rod down. Lawn casted it and really enjoyed the action and put it on the water today and it performed great. Going to fish it hard for a few weeks straight come spring. I’ll document it.

Macys rod will be my next adventure.

Post 06 Nov 2022, 21:34 • #7 
Guide
Glad you got to capitalize on the warm weather—probably more “user friendly” to try your newly acquired rod in than those upcoming 30° temps you mentioned. Sounds like you’re happy with it, too. Thanks for sharing the pic’s & story!

Post 07 Nov 2022, 01:07 • #8 
Master Guide
G-man
I told you not to sleep on those older painted series Phillipson’s
Glad you took my advice ;)

So Rad you scored a Tc76
Your rod looks like a cream puff .
Vtsalmon26 has Tc76 with a sweet Red Bronson Multi-Royal 380.. It’s beautiful!!
His is the early version with white tipping and trim bands like my Tc86 HCH/7wt

Will Throw just about any 6/7/8 line …

Glad to hear the 406 DT6 is playing nice !
I like my 8.6 with a short head WF7 floating line to pitch hoppers and poppers (no droppers) Into small pockets for lunker gills :P
My Tc86 still has most of its original Phillipson Factory Price Tag intact . $12.95

Oh and the Tc86 can micro-fish like a champ :P

Big rod tiny fish !
G-man you and I both know who the real Micro-Fish Chief is ..
LoL :)
The Chieftain’s were available from 56-59
The white trimmed most likely being 56-57

While the Black trimmed ones like yours coming in 58-59

Here’s my Super Minty Black Trimmed Tc80

The Tc80 still has its price tag but the printing has worn off.

G-man ..
Did you actually use a Bobber on a Phillipson Fly Rod????

Your Better than that!!
LoL Jk :lol :lol :lol

True confession..
I used a fish pimp bobber once on my Phillipson Scout TS86 ..
I caught a few fish but it sucked the “soul” out of the whole experience..

I kept thinking Bill Phillipson may not approve of that sort of thing with his fly rods .

His spinning and casting rods … well that’s another story..

Hope to see the Chief get out and about again.

Can’t freakin wait til you “Bust Out” with the Macy’s rod !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I’m so jealous

Oh and I almost forgot..
Hersh , definitely get yourself a few Lively Legz
They are our lil East Coast Secret weapons.

Shhhh !!! Tell Everybody lol :lol
Appalachian’s Worst kept secret!!

Post 07 Nov 2022, 08:35 • #9 
Guide
Scotto,

I did use a striker indicator, I'm sure Bill would disapprove but there was some chop on the water and I didn't want to keep applying floatant to a dry. Its not something I use often unless a certain situation calls for it. And last night was one of those situations, I just wanted to keep it really simple.

The Chieftain is in pretty good shape. You were right telling me not to sleep on them, just feels good in hand and casts a nice line. Hopefully it will be back on the water this weekend for some bigger fish. However, it needs to be a well rounded rod so I checked off micros early lol.

The Macy's rod will make an appearance on here soon with lots of pics to accompany my post. I want to do it some justice. Definitely a different feel compared to the Chief. The Macy's rod feels more like a full flex.

Lively Legz are for sure an east coast secret...hardly anyone knows about them...just kidding. Honestly, they have been killer for me this whole year and I recommend tying some on. I have one buddy that hasn't had much luck using them but they do the trick for me. When he asks what I caught my fish on, he pauses and before I can answer says "let me guess double trouble right?" That's just the way its gone for me this year.

Post 07 Nov 2022, 10:03 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Nice bugs guys.The gills around here are hitting even nymphs as soon as they hit the water,like it is May or June.The water where there is stocked trout is so low and clear i can target individual fish.But the bluegills think it is spring or the low water or something.Finally get the right angle etc to get a fly in front of a trout.Bam bluegill grabs it.The trout will still be there after ice out .Supposed to be high in the 30s next week.

Post 07 Nov 2022, 11:12 • #11 
Master Guide
Like you, I went out late last week and focused on some bluegill in a local pond, and it more than satisfactorily scratched my fishing itch and was like a therapy session for me. I have put a 1495 Medalist on my 7.5 A&F Phillipson made rod and it balanced nicely. A Martin 67SS-A also does a pretty good job as balancing the combo.

Thanks for sharing your outing.

Pete

Post 09 Nov 2022, 16:43 • #12 
Guide
I must go on record stating that this image has made me intermittently laugh off and on for the last 48 hours whenever it comes to mind.

Levity is much appreciated in a sometimes lead heavy life.

Post 12 Nov 2022, 23:13 • #13 
Nice to see the Chieftain getting some action too.

Post 15 Nov 2022, 18:01 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Some of the fish ain't "pint" size. THIS is :lol

and this

a couple NOT's

FUN thread!

Post 15 Nov 2022, 18:53 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
excellent.. I have one of the spin TC64s, my primary spinning rod.. now I have to look for some fly versions..

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=71779

Post 18 Nov 2022, 11:39 • #16 
Guide
Great outing angry_viking, thanks for sharing. I don't pursue stillwater fish often enough here in Eastern PA.

Jeff

New Topic Add Reply