It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:54

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Oct 2022, 19:15 • #1 
Guide
I'm entertaining having Shane build me a Steffen 5/6 for general purpose trout fishing in Michigan. It's offered in two lengths, 8 ft and 8.5 ft. I'm sure there's a reason for it. I found an old thread discussing lengths and numbers of sections, but wanted to get a new take.

Would anyone like to chime in on the differences between the two? It seems like most people buy the 8.5 ft.

Any insight between the two would be really appreciated.

Post 20 Oct 2022, 20:41 • #2 
Sport
Lone wolf, I to live and fish for trout in northern michigan. I fish graphite and fiberglass, I have Steffens 8 ft 3/4 that works well on small to semi medium streams if you know what mean, think upper Rifle river size streams. But when I fish my favorite streams a little father to the north I would like a 8ft 6 in rod for the mending and extra casting distance. I know it doesn’t sound like much but to me in the spring when our rivers are running higher and wading is more difficult I just like the longer length. I would love a Steffen 5/6 in 81/2 ft. Not sure if Shane is doing some of the odd sizes.
Mike.

Post 20 Oct 2022, 21:02 • #3 
Guide
I, too, agree that more length provides more versatility. I even use longer rods on brush-choked small streams-for “dappling.” But there are probably as many opinions on this topic as there are fishermen.

Post 21 Oct 2022, 10:22 • #4 
Master Guide
I like my 8' 5/6 and I dont think Id feel terribly handicapped with it on bigger water. Then again, I like short rods. Also, in the southern Appalachians most wild trout streams are very narrow. 8' is a long rod down here for wild trout.

Post 21 Oct 2022, 11:52 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Having cast both and owning the 8' and fishing really big water on the regular, there's a reason I don't own the 8.5'. I just don't find it necessary. It feels more like a streamer rod that doesn't quite have the guts to be a streamer rod (now, my 8.5' 7/8 Steffen is the perfect streamer rod). Back to the 8', it's just about the most versatile trout rod I own being just as at home on big water as on small water. If I want to fish in a way where the extra length is beneficial, I don't mess around and grab my 10.5' euro rod.

Bottom line though, it's a Steffen. You're not going to be disappointed with whichever direction you go.

Post 21 Oct 2022, 17:21 • #6 
Master Guide
I have both. They are both great.
Both excellent. A little extra reach with the 8.5’ rod. I use it for my “tailwater” rod.
The 8’ is my “general purpose” rod.

The subtle nuance above is most beneficial in my own need to create niches in my rod lineup & to justify having more rods.

From a practical standpoint (scoff), they are both incredibly functional and almost interchangeable.

Pick both. :-)

Post 21 Oct 2022, 19:27 • #7 
Guide
Very good input here guys. Thank you.

GBass.... Would you say one is "quicker" than the other or almost identical?

Thx

Post 22 Oct 2022, 11:36 • #8 
Master Guide
Almost identical
In fact, with Steffens it is widely reported that the spigot ferrules don’t affect the Steffen action.

My 8ft 5/6 is a travel-friendly 5-piece and the 8.5ft 5/6 is a standard 3 piece. Close your eyes and you’ll be hard-pressed to tell a difference, aside from the slightly longer reach.

Post 03 Nov 2022, 22:22 • #9 
Master Guide
Guadalupe try your 8.5’ with a 5wt line. Just imho it’s sweet
Lone wolf. General purpose trout rod it’s hard to beat the 8’ 4/5wt. Just a solid all around rod

Post 04 Nov 2022, 19:15 • #10 
Guide
xNYkid wrote:
Guadalupe try your 8.5’ with a 5wt line. Just imho it’s sweet
Lone wolf. General purpose trout rod it’s hard to beat the 8’ 4/5wt. Just a solid all around rod

+1

I have the 8.5’ 5/6 4-piece. At first I used it with 5 wt DT and was surprised at how nicely it handled size 18 and 20 dries as well as decent size weighted streamers. Love fishing it with a 5wt DT and that is what I usually do.

This year, based on all the comments about people preferring Steffens with the heavier lines (as well as my validating experience using a 4wt DT on a Steffen 8 3/4), I started fishing a 6wt DT on the 8.5’ 5/6 4-piece. I wasn’t thrilled with that combination for the trout I usually find in my area as the 6wt line made presentations heavier. (never said I was good) But then I tried 6 wt lines with the rod for smallies and that combo was awesome.

My takeaway — the rod is versatile. Experiment with different lines for different uses and you may find you have different rods in the 1 tube… glad I have the 8.5’ I find the extra length nice.

Post 04 Nov 2022, 21:53 • #11 
Guide
There are some other (older, but good) discussions regarding choosing rod length on this forum, you might want to look at those as well. Here’s a good example;
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3675

Let us know which one you choose.

Post 05 Nov 2022, 05:54 • #12 
Sport
I also regularly fish the more popular Michigan waters and some that don’t get that much attention. I never feel under gunned with an 8 footer.

Post 05 Nov 2022, 06:03 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
That is a good way to decide: just based on length. I can tell you that I fish 8 and 8 1/2 foot 5s and 6s and 7s on on the same waters, and more than any other rod lengths. When you have been fishing an 8 1/2 for a while and swap to an 8, it seems "short" for a the first three or four casts/drifts. When you swap back to an 8 1/2, it seems "long" for a few minutes. After that, you just fish with the rod. Streamside brush overhead or behind, might favor the shorter rod once in a while, or physical "reach" favor the long one. Once in a while. A step over, up, back and so on is more likely the solution. So that's no help, either, and it's a poor worker blames his tools anyhow. If accustomed to 9' graphite, either will feel "short" for a little bit. Then you learn to fish what is in front of you, not the other side of the river.

Post 05 Nov 2022, 06:36 • #14 
Guide
This is the exact question I've been thinking too. Rod, weight, length, and even fishing it in Michigan...and also PA. Thanks for asking and for all the responses.

Post 05 Nov 2022, 19:48 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Steffen 8 ft rod tapers are, in my mind, the king of 8ft rods made these days, whether Steffen or Shane made them. The 8’ 3/4 and 4/5 Steffen tapers are amongst the best all time regardless of material. But I draw the fuzzy line there. I think the Steffen 8’ to 8’6” 5/6 lines are fantastic. But what I’ve never understood is why you would choose the modern 5/6 Steffens when there is a multitude of vintage rods in that category for much less money in 2 or 3 piece rods. Some aren’t quite as good but close while others are as good, or sometimes better, depending on what you’re looking for, for a lot less money if not downright cheap. Many are a good deal cheaper which means, for some, a much better value. 8’ 6-7 wt rods are in the wheelhouse of vintage glass rods. There are still fantastic values to be had there. The 8’ 3-5 wts lean more toward modern offerings and more readily justify the higher prices in my mind.

Post 05 Nov 2022, 20:57 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
I have yet to cast another 6wt rod of any material of any length vintage or modern that comes close to my 8' Steffen 5/6 (and I've cast a lot of them). But that's just me. Not to mention when I bought it over 15 years ago, it was sub-$400. Hardly expensive with regard to where top of the line fly rods, reels, lines, etc are at these days (or then even).

Post 05 Nov 2022, 21:23 • #17 
Master Guide
I have the Steffen 8'6" 5/6 in a 4-piece that I built from a blank quite a few years ago. I also have the Steffen 5/6 in an 8' 3-piece that was built by Matt Liederman a couple of years ago. I find that I prefer the 8' over the 8'6", mostly because it is lighter in hand and somewhat more responsive than the 8'6". The 8'6" 5/6 is still an excellent rod, but the 8' 5/6 has become a more enjoyable fishing tool for me.

I built the 8'6" rod originally because I thought the extra length would be better for lake and pond fishing out of my jon boat and float tube, and also for fishing larger rivers (mending, nymphing, etc.). However, after fishing the 8' 5/6 several times, I find that I don't miss the extra length at all.

I think the 8' 5/6 is one of the great fiberglass tapers, so you really can't wrong with this model in my opinion. I fish mine with 6 weight lines (standard weight double and weight forward floating), as well as a variety of 6 weight intermediate, sinking and sink tip lines. It will fish fine with 5 weight lines as well, but I prefer to fish mine as a 6 weight, mostly due to the versatility (wider range of fly sizes, etc.).

Post 06 Nov 2022, 09:23 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I've owned both and my experience and preference is much like LeoCreek's. I kept the 8' and sold the 8.5' and the 8 footer has been my favorite glass rod for a decade and I've tried many others. If I feel the need to go to 8.5' or above I have a couple Winston moderate action graphite rods that I'll choose.

Post 06 Nov 2022, 11:04 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
I had a 8’ 5/6 6pc. That I should have never sold.It was great with a DT 5.Doc Bluedevil had a 8’3” 5 pc. That was better with a 6.........Aurelio

Post 09 Nov 2022, 18:26 • #20 
Master Guide
Mr. lone wolf- I agree with Mr. Aurelio that the 8 footer is best with a 5 weight line and the longer rod (mine is 8 1/2 feet) shines with a 6 weight. I also agree with many that the Steffen 8 foot 5/6 is one of the finest rods of any material which you could find. You can cast 6" farther with the longer rod though.

Post 10 Nov 2022, 19:51 • #21 
Guide
Thanks for the conversation and insight. I ended up ordering the 8.5 ft. A true 6 wt was what I was after. Maybe I can sneak in a trip up north before it gets too cold and try it out.

Post 10 Nov 2022, 21:31 • #22 
Sport
Please let us know what you think.
Mike.

Post 11 Nov 2022, 12:03 • #23 
Master Guide
Wish I could afford a Steffen :(

Im to mired in vintage glass to save up for a new rod . :P

Great insight on this thread for when I do get
one !

Cheers Scotto

Post 19 Nov 2022, 22:30 • #24 
Master Guide
golfswithwolves, funny you should mention casting distance i cast the same distance with the 3/4 8' as i do with the 4/5 8' but the 5/6 8.5' cast farther and i chalk it up to the extra length.

New Topic Add Reply