It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:13

New Topic Add Reply
Sierra's Fires and Trout
Post 24 Sep 2022, 21:30 • #1 
Master Guide
There is a stream I like to fish in the sierra's that was in the path of the Caldor fire last year and I had not been there yet to see what had become of the area. Well made it up there this weekend to check it out.
Fished a Scott F2 6.5' 3wt I got from Choptanked here on the sight and I really like the rod for this type of fishing. Girl friend fished a echo river glass 3wt. Perfect rods for the small trout in this stream.

Most of it burned but there was Pockets of trees that made it along the river. The river was running silty from the run off of all the fire scarred land around it.

The fish are still there, it will be a long time before this area is as it was.

Post 25 Sep 2022, 07:36 • #2 
Master Guide
Riffling Hitch,

Nice rod you were using and looks like a good day exploring and seeing how the area made out. Good that there are some fish there and hopefully in a few years the vegetation will fill in, new trees will start to grow and the river will not be as affected by silt - and the fishing returns to what it was. Encouraging that there are trout in there. Great that you can also share the experience with a girlfriend that also likes to fish.

Pete

Post 25 Sep 2022, 14:48 • #3 
Guide
Great story and pics. Was expecting a stick to go along with the dog on the rock pic. ;)

Post 25 Sep 2022, 16:18 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Nice.

Forests burn, then they come back. Can be kind of hard to see, but is the way it was meant to be. Seen creeks where the fish die, they come back.

Good looking rainbow!

Post 25 Sep 2022, 20:50 • #5 
Master Guide
Thanks for sharing the post. When I look at the fire history layer on CalTopo, it looks like every part of the American River watershed either has burned or will burn. I’m looking forward to your follow up on the same spot in a few years!

Post 25 Sep 2022, 23:12 • #6 
Sport
Looks like a good time was had by all. Great to see the area is recovering.

Post 26 Sep 2022, 10:10 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Pretty water and fish. The recent burn scars remind me of some other spots. Never fear, it will recover.

New Topic Add Reply