It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:10

New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Sep 2022, 19:51 • #1 
Master Guide
I took today off and all of next week. We have received some rain and the reports on the USGS streamflow page showed above average flows - sometimes 10X (and higher) for some small streams, so figured I would take advantage of not being on call and the cooler better fishing conditions and take some time. I'm middle age, so want to focus on getting out some more while I can still move around fairly well, although I am a shell of what I used to be when it comes to wading. Have studded felt and a wading staff with a backup in the trunk of the car.

Anyway, today I took out the Cortland FR2000 loaded with a 4wt DT line on a LL Bean 4/5 Streamlight, a Shakespeare FY-A310 7.5 6wt balanced with a 1495 and a Cortland 444 peach 6DT line and a Aventik 4pc 8' 5wt with a Medalist and a Maxcatch 5DT line. I did not end up using the FR2000 today, but will next week. Flows were up and I was nymphing on a mid-to-smaller steam, and I wanted to use the Wonderod, so that came out first. The reel looks really large on it, but it does balance nicely. I had a Martin 67A that I was considering, but did not bring it at the last minute. Anyway, spent about 4 hours at the first stop that is pictured below - only reward were 5 fallfish, but they were fun and the rod was responsive even on the smallest one. I am now coming to the conclusion as to what some members on here have posted in replies and posts about the benefits of the 6wt for trout fishing - can throw small to larger stuff on it and still have fun.

Around noon I got a little hungry and had to make a decision if I was going to head to the Swift River at the bottom of the Quabbin, as I had to be back as my youngest is with me this weekend and was arriving for dinner. I packed up and headed the 45 minutes from this spot to the Swift. For the Swift - I wanted the slightly longer rod for the section I thought I might end up with, so I was going to use the Aventik.

When I got to the Swift I cruised by the parking lot on the highway and it was like a shift change at the factory - a bunch of anglers appeared to be gearing up ready to go on the post-lunchtime shift. I spun the car around and went below the highway. The next spot I went to already had 6 cars in the parking area - I thought it was a bit crowded the last time I went with three already there, so I went back to the place that I like that has consistently not had people.

I fished for about 1.5 hours there and was able to pick up 3 small brookies nymphing and foul hooked another - did not get any on EH caddis drys. I had a much bigger fish go after my indicator and I missed a few more strikes. Don't know how this happened or when it did, but my dropper nymph had the hook bend closed on it. It was not that way when I tied it on - I did snag a tree branch - maybe that did it??? Another oddity - the water flows everywhere but here were much higher - the Swift was 1/2 the flow it averages for this date and the water was very warm. Much warmer than my last visit a short time ago. Maybe they were not releasing as much to build up reserves in the Quabbin after so much dry weather.

Will see what next week brings - no fishing this weekend, but plan to be at it next week.

Post 24 Sep 2022, 12:32 • #2 
Guide
Thanks for the write up and another post about your exploits. Does that stream hold other trout too or just brookies? I’m off Monday and trying to decide where I’m heading. Either way it beats working

Post 24 Sep 2022, 17:28 • #3 
Master Guide
Angry_Viking,

I have caught brook trout and a brown trout in this stream this year - the first time I fished there was this year and they likely were stocked fish. They looked great with no rounded fins like you sometimes see with stocked trout. Unfortunately, I think that there is some pressure there and a number of fish are taken during the spring fishing time.

I hope you figure out where you are going and get into some good fishing. It definitely beats working for sure.

Sometimes for me the hardest part is deciding where to go - as conditions and chance at fish dictate where I will go and I can get into a bit of analysis paralysis on where to go. My girlfriend is encouraging me to head north and try an two day with overnight stay solo trip up to Northern NH to the Colebrook or Pittsburg area of the Upper Connecticut River area, as I keep talking about wanting to head that way and a good buddy and his friend have offered to give me intel on potential spots as they both have fished there a bunch.

Post 24 Sep 2022, 18:10 • #4 
Guide
Labrax,

I think I may head north and fish Lake Erie tribs for some steelhead if we get some rain tonight and tomorrow. Will help encourage them to push up stream when the streams rise with the rain. We will see what happens.

Sounds like she has a good idea for you. You should definitely do those types of things while you can. The older I get the harder I find it to make time to get out with two teenagers and an 11 year old. I’d also helps if you have some people with first hand knowledge so you aren’t wandering around aimless. If you can get a couple spots to stop at that always helps and you can branch out from there.

Thanks again for the write up!

New Topic Add Reply