It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:02

New Topic Add Reply
Christening the 843.
Post 22 Sep 2022, 14:56 • #1 
Master Guide
Was an idiot and hiked in. Shoulda put on my wading shoes and rode my bike in. Luckily, it wasn’t too far but the knee is crunchy. Got rained on but found the Smallies. Odd weather. Lately, the temps have been near 100° out but I don’t even think it even hit 70 today. Most were small but it was nice to break in the McFarland 843. I found the casting to be lovely. I used RIO Trout 5 WF (it’s old and don’t ask why I used it on a warm water stream cuz I know some folks don’t like that) and it loaded very well. I used weighted flies. Nothing small and trout like. Flood and drought. Smallies have been tough to find. Good to be out though. Enjoyed warm chicken noodle soup back at the house. Love this rod a bit more than my Epic 476.

Re: Christening the 843.
Post 22 Sep 2022, 15:26 • #2 
Master Guide
Not too shabby for a Maiden Voyage .
That’s one heck of a lil run you’ve got going on there .
Beautiful Water . Nothing wrong with throwing a trout line to Crick Bass..
I do it 150 days a year or so…
That McFarland looks great .
Keep bustin those Bass,
Scotto

Post 22 Sep 2022, 19:38 • #3 
Guide
100% agree with Scotto on the great looking water. That last photo with the rock shelf and drop off just screams smallmouth!

Post 23 Sep 2022, 11:03 • #4 
Guide
Beautiful bass from a beautiful stream with a new rod....well done Sir! That really is nice looking water. Thank you for sharing.
Carl

Post 23 Sep 2022, 13:32 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice !

Hope your knee feels better. My joints tend to ache when the weather changes, my spine especially, partly because of all the implanted hardware. Getting older, but aren't we all :)

Post 23 Sep 2022, 14:07 • #6 
Sport
Great looking water. I love the look of the rod also. Did you build that?

Post 23 Sep 2022, 16:35 • #7 
Master Guide
Thanks. I did build the rod.

Post 23 Sep 2022, 17:17 • #8 
Sport
It’s a beautiful build. I’ve thought of tackling something like that, but I don’t know for sure if I want to.

Post 23 Sep 2022, 19:21 • #9 
Master Guide
That looks like some very nice water, and a fine place to give that beauty of a new rod a workout. As mentioned above - that took with the rock shelf looks very fishy. Thanks for sharing.

Post 23 Sep 2022, 19:57 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful water and fish. Reminds me of a small local stream I have fished over the past 25 years. Except with the drought we are having this summer, Rock Creek is down to a slimy, algae-laden trickle, with streamflow below 2 cfs. Very much wishing for rain. The last time I saw the creek this low was in 2013, then the next spring and summer we had rain like I've never seen it. Can only hope it happens again.

Larry

Post 23 Sep 2022, 22:57 • #11 
Master Guide
Nice build! I would love to fish a streamer off that rock shelf in your last picture.

I’ve been curious about the McFarland Ameriglass and Spruce Creek series. How does the McFarland compare to the Steffen taper or other modern glass tapers?

Post 24 Sep 2022, 08:35 • #12 
Master Guide
El Dude, I don’t know anything about Spruce Creek specs. Never owned one. All I know is that after owning many glass rods and speaking with other folks and builders, the Ameriglass tapers are spot on. Nothing fast and nothing slow. Just spot on. I guess. Slow cuz it’s glass though - right.

And the rock shelf, I’ve fished that stretch for about 30 years. The first time was before I moved up here from about 80 miles South. On several occasions, a coworker brought me and my boss up to fish this area. Never thought I’d live just 5 miles away from a good Smallie spot. I just drift it. Most are caught it the tail out or the pool at the end of it. They’ll just be waiting or even chase the fly down. Back in 94 I was using Rooster Tails on a rod I grabbed from the garage. I fly fished but my gear was still packed away in stuff we brought down when we moved from Canada. There was a pond in the backyard that we fished for bream, LMB and cats. Never thought about Smallies until Danny took us up here. So, here in the Ozarks Zone, you can keep Smallies 12” and over. Bass are 10” in rest of state. Wish that would change, at least for Smallies. Lots of limestone here to fish.

Post 26 Sep 2022, 17:43 • #13 
Sport
Great pictures thanks for sharing

New Topic Add Reply