It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:24

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Sep 2022, 21:19 • #1 
Master Guide
Had to go into the office today for an appointment, so threw the Eagle Claw Featherlight FL300-7 in the car along with a chest pack and a System 2L 5/6 with a old SA 5wf line on it. I work in an old mill complex and the Assabet River flows practically below my office window. We received a bit of rain overnight, which is needed and when I was in last week I saw a few fish below a bridge. After a frustrating time trying to help a customer with a technical issue - I went out and grabbed a pipe, took the celophane off the grip and strung it with line. I tied on some 3x and 4x on the leader butt and then put on a prince nymph and scrambled down the embankment to the river. I was about 30 yards from my parking spot.

2 casts later I was into a small fish. It was about a 7-8" fallfish, so things were looking up. A half dozen more drifts and I was on to another one similar in size to the first. I missed another and then snagged on a rock. I lost the fly and then tied on a size 14 Irresistible Adams and tried to entice a few more. I moved downstream a bit to get a bit of an upstream presentation and was able to fool another one at the end of a drift when I was retrieving the fly back just below the surface. This one was about 7" in size, but it wasn't about the size of the fish. This brief lunchtime fishing period changed my attitude and I broke down the rod and put it in the trunk and felt better about the rest of the afternoon - like a mood lifter.

Didn't get any good pics, but posting these two to show the EC FL300-7 with an actual fish.

Post 21 Sep 2022, 05:43 • #2 
Master Guide
Those Eagle Claws always put a smile on my face to begin with … and then being able to catch some fish within a baseball toss of the office …. Thanks for sharing.

Post 21 Sep 2022, 10:39 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Lunchtime fishing. That would lift my spirits at work too!

Post 21 Sep 2022, 15:13 • #4 
Master Guide
Labrax, I’m digging your style .. your really on your way to glass discipleship…
You know your on your way when a rod is permanently in the car and you start looking at ANY body of water as a scenic potential honey hole..
Fishing on lunch break is like the first step to true enlightenment..

You now just need to learn that indeed Eagle Claw rods are SEXY..

Dare someone to walk up on the stream and tell my homeboy Jake that Eagle Claws aren’t Sexy.. I double dare lol :lol

And final true glass enlightenment happens when you realize that Fallfish are some seriously Sexy Silver Ladies and deserve their respect and important place in the game .
Here’s my confessional..
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73832

And some atmospheric music to listen to when reading that post from the French duo “Air”
The song is La Femme D’argent ..
Translates to The Silver Lady…
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wLmfNFVDa_U

Keep getting bent sexy style with that Claw..
Scotto

Post 21 Sep 2022, 15:41 • #5 
Guide
Labrax,

Great write up! Here in Pennsylvania you always have the opportunity to catch creek chubs where trout are. I’ve landed some nice big chubs who fought harder than some of the trout that abide in the same waters. They look pretty cool when they are getting ready to spawn too.

I have a rod in my truck all the time just incase. Never know when you’re going to pass a sweet looking spot and want to answer the question of “does it hold fish?” I drive around all the time and make notes in my head about the way a certain hole looks or run. Doesn’t need to be scenic to hold some surprises.

Caught one of my biggest brook trout beside a road in what essentially was a ditch. (My buddy fishing the hole after me, shows it’s location and size)

Thanks for taking us along and Keep fishing that Eagle Claw!

Post 22 Sep 2022, 20:54 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
The ECs are fun rods and cast well.They cast farther than you would think,Have caught lots of crappies on one with a clear intermediate line.I most always have a rod with me.Have caught some great fish before work or lunch time.Spent one summer working right on Lake Michigan at the Adler Planetarium.It is on a rocky point on The Lake as we call it.Caught smallies,lake perch rock bass carp baby cohos.All on UL spin rods and little jigs.We were in deeper water and the area is all submerged rock and stone debri from the Chicago Fire.By the time the job was over had about 5 or 6 other tradesmen showing up an hour early to fish.My trade covered 6 counties so i have fished a lot of retention ponds in these office parks and behind shopping malls as well as the Lake and the Chicago river which has giant bass large and smallmouths.We used to get access to a lot of places that are off limits to the public.I grew up in the city and we always found somewhere to fish ,even get on a bus with our gear out to the suburbs.

Post 23 Sep 2022, 05:47 • #7 
Master Guide
Cool!! That will work!!!
I love my eagle claw yellow pack fly rod. Well worth the money.

Post 23 Sep 2022, 19:09 • #8 
Master Guide
Thanks for the comments everyone. I love to see pics of anglers using fiberglass rods of all types and I do like the Eagle Claw.

I bought one as my first fiberglass rod 4-5 years ago and liked the 6'6" quite a bit and have used it to land both pond and small stream brookies and bluegill and bass. It was like my gateway to fiberglass and I quickly bought some Cabelas fiberglass rods that were on sale (2wt, 4wt and 5/6) and then picked up the 8' FL-300-8, which is supposed to be a 5/6, but I think it is more of a 7wt. There was a lot of positive posts about the 7' model, so I picked it up for $28 - there is a gentleman in town that wanted to go out with me fishing, so I figured I could pass it along to him if he wanted to take up fly fishing.

I think the star of the current EC lineup is the 6'6" rod as it is just fun to use and that action (to me) is very nice. I would love to own a McFarland, Tom Morgan, Barclay, Steffen or one of Shane's builds, but I kind of get off on using inexpensive fishing gear and vintage inexpensive rods too. My favorite rod - both graphite and fiberglass is the Fenglass 704-3 - so sweet. I love some of the older Cortlands, Wonderods and a Fenwick 856 - have not fished the 856-5 yet and think they will likely get the bulk of my attention going forward, but the Aventiks, EC's, Cabelas and Maxcatch rod will all get used. I used a 7'6" FY-A310 6wt today and a Aventik 8' 5wt - enjoyed both and when I was casting a dry fly with the Aventik I was very pleased with it, but I am no expert caster though.

Post 24 Sep 2022, 11:03 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I too have gifted several of these EC rods over the years,i bought 2 of the first version when a really cool old bait/fishing gear/archery store closed.It was a little oasis in a very urban area.The owners were retiring to Alabama.They wer both in their mid 80s and still very active.Even stringing up one of the EC flyrods and showing me how well they cast.Bought the 2 rods,2 martin reels and 2 auto reels flies fly boxes 3 dozen GOOD arrows and a bunch of lines and other stuff.I just recently acquired one of the original versions and have one of the latest.They have a nice 5 foot 1 piece UL spinning rod now also.I have a couple EC rods from when i was a kid and beat the heck out of them but they are still intact and would fish just fine.

Post 24 Sep 2022, 13:47 • #10 
Master Guide
Nice! There are some big ones in there. Good job getting them on top. I’ve only caught them by accident with nymphs but they are a fun fight.

Post 25 Sep 2022, 23:17 • #11 
Sport
Fishing close to home is a great respite from the doldrums of life. Urban fishing rules!

New Topic Add Reply