It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:41

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Sep 2022, 14:45 • #1 
Master Guide
Sounds like the set up to a bad bar joke..
Nah !! Just the start of an epically great day earlier this summer ..
I had enticed my oldest friend and fishing buddy Kenspice (he works for a famous spice co.) up my place in Western Maryland to help me with a 1/2 bath remodel /some Trout and Bass fishing.
I also coordinated with member AngryViking for him to swing down from Pa and pick up a couple of beauties I had poached from member CarlZ

So after introducing my oldest friend to my newest friend we decided to go fishing .
Gary said that he had about 4hrs before he needed to head back wasn’t sure how much fishing we could get into ?? Ken looked at me..
I said Pfffttt ;) Let’s Do This!!

Our weapons of choice were as follows..

Gary wanted to dance with the girl he came with ,a super sweet minty fresh Royal Wand 6ft with a Martin 63 throwing 406 DT6 line

Kenspice was sporting his beloved birth year yellow 7’6” Phillipson/Orvis Full Flex 2 rod scored from member
Vtsalmon26 (thank you so much John!)
Balanced with an Bfr/Orvis Clearwater throwing Cortland FairPlay wf7

As for me …
I’m rockin a 7’6” 1952 Phillipson P76f OG hand scripted rod I’ve been on some crazy religious pilgrimage with this summer ..
All balanced up nicely with an Abu Diplomat 178 reel (Bill Phillipson was born in Sweden)
Spooled with Northern Sport Aquanova Wf6

We started off from my place on top of Meadow Mountain which holds many of the Brookie streams flowing into the Famous Savage River .
This hole is literally 4 minutes from my house ..
Gary working the edges of Blackhawk Pool with a Dry Dropper ,Stimulator on top with a brown lively legs double trouble down low..

He learned the hard way that throwing 2 flies in the water spooks twice the amount of fish :lol

Kenspice batted cleanup with a single green lively legs double trouble nymphed in the deeper section of the pool and was rewarded with this lil whippersnapper

I sent Kenspice upstream to a hole he knows as I guided G-Man downtstream to a very technical section where he could test his Lil Royal Wand ..

Snuck back to check on Kenspice found him getting neck deep in rhododendron with the Full flex

We packed up and scouted a few other streams where the boys could stretch out a few casts

We had a lot of laughs fishing in the group together enjoying some streamside fellowship and swapping funny stories.
We have now burned a good 2.5hrs spooking trout and goofing off .. time to get serious ..

Next up I took our raggedy lil adventure crew to one of the more famous brookie streams in the forest for a chance at a True Trophy Brook Trout.
I put Kenspice in this hole that holds several 12”ers along with a bunch of 6”-8” fish . One of my all time honey holes…

Gary was committed to the dry dropper all day so i put him in a knee/thigh pocket water run that suits his technique .
With both perfectly in place I stepped off the stream to rig up and fish the run between to two . I heard Ken hooting/cussing so I walked down to check in . He had a blow up on a terrestrial but missed it . No sooner than I sort Kenspice out to continue his battle of wits .
I hear the call for the Net !!!!
I Sprang to life with my superior ghillie skillz to help Gman put this Niner in the net
A Meadow Mountain Jewel in the hand is an experience you won’t soon forget
Kenspice gave up the battle of wits and will live to cast another day.. learning from mistakes made on his journey to be a better angler .
We drove down thru a state park where Gary could pick up a main road on his journey home .
We spent the last 40 minutes just hopping from pool to pool where I broke down some stream strategy and techniques to both guys.
Here’s me on proper technique to scare every fish in the pool…
P76f Slinging it!!!

Gary upstream of the Grotto
Gary’s time was up so Ken snapped a pic of us in Big Run St Park to remember the day by .

Good times G-Man …
Welcome to the Blue Heron Crew!

If you thought my day as a Guide , a Ghillie ,and a Glass Disciple was over ?? Not a chance ..
If you go fishing with the Blue Heron Crew you’d better pack a lunch !

Next up was a hike down the mountain on
a brookie stream that dumps into the lake
A great section to have two rods ..short/long 1 top water 1 bottom ..

Lil Brookie on the S86.

We stopped at this spot along the way and busted up a bunch of Bluegills

The P76f is a hook setting samurai ninja!

Ken working out his new Orvis Encounter 9’6” 6wt rod he got on clearance for like $99 shipped
We ventured further towards the confluence with Savage Reservoir
For a some Bronzeback fishing at Dusk
This is the perfect spot for a longer rod like Ken’s 9’6” or my Phillipson S86 short tip special .
My wife bought this rod for me from member Bloodhound (thank you Scott big ups to you !) All balanced with an Olympic 440 a bit of leadcore then 75yrds backing and currently throwing some Orvis Clearwater wf7 that has a super short head
It works great with the short tip 8.6ft rod especially with a Charles Ritz HS/HL technique.. or Oval/Belgian casts with big flies.
My reward for a hard days work right here.

But wait there’s more …
Blue Heron Crew After Dark prowls the magic hour .
Ken with a Bigmouth at Middle Fork on the 966

We still had work waiting for us back at the house so we stopped gabbed something to eat and then put in actual work..
Ken’s great day on the water motivated him to really bust out on the 1/2 bath .

Which allowed me to cut the grass while Ken put the trim up inside
After a hard day fishing and another hard day of work .
It was time to just kick back and chill in my back yard enjoying the view from the top of Meadow Mountain

What a great weekend.
AngryViking went home with 2 of CarlZ cream puff Rods and a membership in the Crabtree Creek Niner club along with getting
“jumped in” to my Blue Heron Gang.

Kenspice went home with a Meadow Mountain Slam..
Brookie, Bronzeback, Bluegill , Bucketmouth

My wife is happy the bathroom is done and that i actually sold some rods :P (instead of buying rods)!!

I was just so stoked seeing the smiles I saw on Ken and Gary’s faces sitting in the middle of a mountain stream holding those gems.

It doesn’t get much better than that …
It really doesn’t!

Tightest of lines to all you Phillipson Fools out here .
Scotto

Post 19 Sep 2022, 15:06 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
What a wonderful report!!

Post 19 Sep 2022, 15:16 • #3 
Guide
Scotto…what a great little write up about our first trip…one I won’t soon forget. Laughed at you showing us how to spook fish! Glad to be a part of the Blue Heron crew and looking forward to many more Phillipson mountain adventures.

That little Royal Wand works it’s magic in those tight, tiny little streams.

Post 19 Sep 2022, 16:32 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Great report.

I like the country little Brookie's live in, but love chasing bass.

Thanks,
Barry

Post 19 Sep 2022, 17:29 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Nice,used to have some nice little warm water creeks like that to fish.Especially nice this time of year.

Post 19 Sep 2022, 17:39 • #6 
Guide
Looks like an EPIC ! Weekend .There is fishing and there is fishing with good friends! It’s great to see Kenny fishing the full flex glad it has a great home .

Post 19 Sep 2022, 17:42 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I'm sorry I couldn't make that one. Your cabin is shaping up. And here's to selling a few rods to make way for a few more. :)

Post 19 Sep 2022, 19:58 • #8 
Master Guide
Great entertaining write-up and pictures. You certainly got some fishing in that day with some fine rods and company. Well played with getting the bathroom knocked out too - making your significant other happy!

Post 20 Sep 2022, 08:48 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Great report!

Post 21 Sep 2022, 08:14 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
You guys :) ... looks like good times !

Post 21 Sep 2022, 12:51 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
What a great trip and report! Thanks for taking us along! Great pictures!

Post 21 Sep 2022, 14:18 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for taking the time to post that great photo essay!

New Topic Add Reply