It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:56

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 Sep 2022, 14:28 • #1 
Guide
I am thinking of getting this blank primarily for fishing streamers with a sink tip line and wondering if you all like this rod for that application? Otherwise it would be used for foam poppers too.

Thanks

Post 18 Sep 2022, 18:03 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I have one, and don't remember fishing it, since I have been reaching for longer rods recently. This is the hazard of having too many rods.

The Iconoglas 8' 5wt has the backbone for sink tips in the 5wt or even 6wt category. It will also handle foam poppers (again with the 5/6wt limitation), but it is a faster action rod (for glass), so it isn't as natural popper or soft-hackle rod as some of the slower glass rods. I am surprised we haven't heard more about this rod on the forum. I really like the rod.

OOOPS I must have been asleep, I was thinking the 8' 5wt. Which I still wonder why we don't hear more of it on the forum.

Last edited by carlz on 18 Sep 2022, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Sep 2022, 19:52 • #3 
Guide
I fish an 8. It will easily handle heavier lines. No problem with poppers either. I use it for a short range marsh rod, so the longest shot is 40-50. Surprisingly lot of backbone.

Only negative is the swing weight is a bit high. I’m 65 with a lot of shoulder arthritis from injuries. I would not want to cast it all day. 10 years ago, I wouldn’t have given it a second thought.

Post 20 Sep 2022, 11:54 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
not yet...still need to wrap the guides on it. I do fish the 10wt for tiger muskies though and absolutely love it for hucking larger flies with backbone to turn large fish (I've also put a few albacore on it and it handled them just fine). The 8 feels similar, just lighter.

Post 20 Sep 2022, 18:36 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I have one. Originally, I built it for use as a bass bugging rod. I didn’t much like it for that - felt too stiff. I have been using it for saltwater this year, and am liking it quite a bit, so it was not a waste of time.

Post 20 Sep 2022, 19:48 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I built one out for saltwater. I like it, but in the wind it's hard (for me) to nail a cast over 50 - 60 feet.

New Topic Add Reply