It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:42

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 Sep 2022, 06:07 • #1 
Sport
Hello all,
Occasionally I have seen a reference to the translucency of Fenwick rods being affected by light, or sometimes UV. Does this seem to be a lightening or darkening? I have several with the "glowing" type of fiberglass, and wonder if I could apply some protectant to prevent the occurrence.
Any feelings or documentation of such appreciated.
Charlie

Post 18 Sep 2022, 11:54 • #2 
Master Guide
The pre-Feralite Fenwick ‘glass layup, amber/pumpkin-colored with a visible weave, darkened to a kind of Herter’s “brownstone” shade with UV exposure.
The 1st and 2nd generation Feralite rods, both translucent and opaque, can be found with what is apparently a grayish “sunburn” on the finish, but I always reckon there’s some extreme heat factor or other catalyst that causes this.
Doing a light overcoat of spar varnish that offers some additional UV protection wouldn’t be a bad idea, but otherwise I would just fish those Fenwicks without concern.

Post 18 Sep 2022, 13:13 • #3 
Sport
Thanks for your prompt reply Lunker75,
The point about extreme heat or other catalyst makes a great deal of sense. I had an FF80 "B" that had a darker frosted look over an end of each section, apparently stored where some form of heat worked on it, whether cased or propped out. On the other hand, a couple of "C"s I have are gradually more opaque toward the tip over the entire length of the rod though.
I will indeed fish without concern other than normal care, which doesn't include heat over maybe 100 -out of the sun but cased in a vehicle. I presume extreme heat to be aluminium tubed in the sun or near a heating source.
Charlie

Post 21 Sep 2022, 19:56 • #4 
Master Guide
Hey Charlie ,
Here a few pics of an overexposed Fenwick in all its agony …
This rod is exactly as Lunker described.
Has the gray sunburn effect going on..

This did not happen on my watch . I was given this rod when I purchased a small collection from the original owners son . Was his truck rod for many years.
Still casts and fishes fine ..
thought of giving it a spray paint job restoring some former glory.. lol :)

How’s that lil Golden Eagle Midge rod treating you ??
Tight lines
Scotto

Post 22 Sep 2022, 05:07 • #5 
Sport
Thanks Scotto,
Now that's a stark illustration of what we're talking about!
Various degrees of greying, and "banded" appearance from direct sunlight, shadows, and protected areas lends credence to the UV damage theory, don't you think? At any rate my normal care routine should prevent all but the most gradual visual changes.
You came through with practical information again Scotto, thank you -Charlie

Post 22 Sep 2022, 10:26 • #6 
Master Guide
No worries Charlie ..
The Fauxfessor is always here.. :) to help??
I’m trying to be a lot better about not leaving my good vintage rods in the car ..
I had an aluminum rod tube that turned into an easy bake oven on an ancient phenolic Horrocks and Ibottson rod .
It was not pretty!! :(
Sock rashed it but good ..
My current permanent car rod is a painted 3pc berkley that stashes in my spare tire well ,
Far away from the sun. It’s got a cover on the floor plus the hatch lid/shade . I use a windshield sunshade religiously these ,along with slightly cracking my windows to promote some airflow.
Thinking of putting a tint job on the car for good measure and keep those car temps down.
I’ve learned to keep my rod or rod tube along my passenger door sill area out of direct sunlight as well .
Just got to be careful shutting the door ..
Let that Fenwick Fly,
Scotto

Post 22 Sep 2022, 10:49 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Fiberglass weathers, but very little for the brief time periods it is exposed when fishing. Poor storage is usually the culprit. Fading/clouding very well illustrated in the pics above. . Also relatively inconsequencial considering the cost of utility priced fishing gear, which will usually long outlast the owner's interest in it. Put a rod away wet, store it with no ventilation and exposure to rapid temperature and humidity changes, and so on: it will show cosmetic changes and the composite itself be weakened. UV damage from sunlight, especially if accompanied by excess heat, is no friend to composites. Again, no big deal. Use it for what it is, and if it breaks, repair it or throw it out.

If you have one that hasn't suffered like the one shown, ordinary care and an ounce of prevention will do. A wax that offers UV protection--there are many household brands--is easy to apply now and then. Just be sure to remove it completely if the rod ever needs a new topcoat.

For classic brownish fiberglass (translucence depends on the prepreg, resin, and any coloring added) nothing beats spar varnish as an add-on layer of protection or rehab. Some makers chose opaque top-finishes, which conceal inconsequential blemishes. Realize, though, that the appearance of color in or on a rod may vary no matter what, simply because the wall thickness may vary down the taper.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18487&hilit=Fenwick+spiff

Post 22 Sep 2022, 13:03 • #8 
Sport
Thanks for chiming in whrlpool, exactly as I had hoped.

I've checked out that "spiff" detail before and the results are impressive for the effort. I have so far been a bit leary of runs or webbing at the guides, though I see none on that example. What wax for UV protection springs to mind?

First paragraph well taken, right you are. Just about over the !!!! retention in favor of having "personality" or "character", I hope. Tools get used, not abused, and wear is inevitable over time. I have caught myself avoiding some fishing opportunities for fear of scarring up a blank.

Good sharing all, Charlie

Post 22 Sep 2022, 14:05 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Great. If you don't use something for fear it will be damaged or broken, it is, in effect, already damaged or broken. Then it gets tossed in a closet and damaged further. For wax, best thing is to read the labels. When I bother at all, I use about anything handy, and some for fiberglass boats when I can find the can. Both marine and auto waxes, most if not all, offer UV protection.

New Topic Add Reply