It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 14:30

New Topic Add Reply
FF605 and Georgia trout
Post 12 Sep 2022, 23:05 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I haven’t fished much for trout in Georgia this summer. Although that hasn’t meant that my flies have stayed dry; there have been a couple camping trips to NC, and a few bass day trips. But the mountains were getting some cooler, wet weather, and I decided it was time to visit a favorite stream.

Some months ago, I picked up an FF60 and and FF605. Why both? Purely in the interest of science. Although I haven’t been really scientific in my use and comparisons. I tried them both out when I got them, and have fished the FF60 a time or two, but hadn’t given the FF605 a good session. This stream can be a little tight in spots, and it seemed a good place to give it some time.

Although the stream can also get pretty open. Historically, hemlocks have been a big part of the streamside vegetation, but the woolly adelgid parasite has put a hurting on them. These dead ones are still standing, but they’ll come down, clog the creek, and back up a pool, until blown out by a high water event.

I was really happy with the FF605; it’s light and lively, good at the little flick aerial mends small streams need, and an excellent roll caster.

Maybe the cork seat adds to that lively feeling; I haven’t weighed it, but Mr. Fenwick says 2 ounces (“L” serial number).
That said, the limited reach is apparent, and on this section of stream, I’ll usually an FF70, or even a 7’6” rod. But a mile or so up, you’re above a tributary or two, and the FF605 would work nicely there. Most trout were the 6-7” rainbows that are usual in GA wild waters, like this one from the lower portion of this pool.

A few places, the stream opened up and I’d wish I had a 8 footer, such as this run where hemlocks had come down some years ago, and gotten blown out sometime in the last year or two.

But, the FF605 was game; had the pleasure of seeing this guy leave the lie and head downstream a couple of feet to hit the fly.

This stream has a good population of browns, but I think that’s the first one this year I’ve caught there that was over the ten-inch mark. With luck, there might be some more as the fall progresses.

Glad I’ve added the FF605 to the stable, since I still crawl through the rhododendrons for the small streams a good bit.

Post 13 Sep 2022, 02:48 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
There's always a tradeoff. If wading, then the short rod is an advantage. If fishing from the margins even 7'9" works really well. Thanks for the report, beautiful stream.

Post 13 Sep 2022, 06:32 • #3 
Guide
Thank you for sharing! I have the FF60 and I agree it is sweet, but I have wondered about the FF605. Thanks for the report.

Post 13 Sep 2022, 08:15 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Pretty stream ! I like 6'-ish rods for brushy coastal streams around here in early season.

Post 13 Sep 2022, 08:59 • #5 
Guide
Have never paid much attention in the past to 6' rods. (And timer permitting, memory tells me i can likely find a good bit about them on the forum.) That said, I live within a couple hours of some small rhodo covered streams in Ga. Couple questions: what line are you using on these rods? what size reel? Not sure of scale of your creek but looks like 10+'? What's the typical "casting" range for these rods?

Scream! Like I really need another arcane subset of flyfishing hobby?!

Post 13 Sep 2022, 09:14 • #6 
Master Guide
Nice report! September/October is my favorite time of year to fish that stream. I usually fish a Steffen 7’6” 3/4, but there are definitely a few spots higher up where 7’6” feels too long.

Post 13 Sep 2022, 11:07 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
That "longer rod/shorter rod" debate is always raging in my head when I fish creeks. Most of the ones I fished this year are much smaller than those above, and I've been using a 6ft South Bend. And never wanted for a longer rod.

Thanks for the great pictures!

Post 13 Sep 2022, 12:21 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
wthorpe wrote:
Couple questions: what line are you using on these rods? what size reel? Not sure of scale of your creek but looks like 10+'? What's the typical "casting" range for these rods?

Line is probably an old Cortland peach 5wt. Reel is a LLBean Streamlight from ~20 years ago, 5/6. I have a few and they are good choices for reels that regularly go in harm’s way.
Casting range is real variable; sometimes 10-15’, but other times less than 5’ (which have produced some nice fish at times, so I don’t want to just blow by). Really, for that section of stream, 7’ is a good compromise; sometimes too long, sometimes too short. Anything 20’ or more is a long cast, and fairly rare. But again, have been productive.
I’ve used 8’6” on some sections, but while casting can be okay with that, depending on cover, and there’s occasionally a need to go 40’, traveling stream side with such a long rod is a pain. I know the stream fairly well and 7’-7’6” is the usual compromise, but if I know what’s ahead, may choose otherwise.

Post 13 Sep 2022, 13:56 • #9 
Sport
Excellent report on the FF6's.

Post 13 Sep 2022, 15:58 • #10 
Guide
Thank you but i think you probably meant to include the GPS coordinates right?

Post 13 Sep 2022, 16:52 • #11 
Master Guide
Great looking setup and stream to fish! Nice pictures of the fish, the fishing outfit and scenery. I have a Streetlight 4/5 reel and spare spool for 20+ years - very nice and good lightweight reels and they look and perform really well.

Post 17 Sep 2022, 06:57 • #12 
Sport
My screen name approved of this post ;)

Post 20 Sep 2022, 08:41 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Nice report!

Post 21 Sep 2022, 18:28 • #14 
Master Guide
How about an FF 535 on this water …. ???

Post 21 Sep 2022, 19:03 • #15 
Master Guide
Upstreeam ,
That’s one beautiful Appalachian stream right there !!
Wow I’d fish that stream happily with any Fenwick..
heck I’d fish that stream with a push button Zebco ..
Great “baby lunker” brown trout .
That bow is looking pretty as well .
Digging all the rhododendron!
Eastern trout fishing in a lush forest setting is hard to beat ..
Great job , Scotto

New Topic Add Reply