It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:04

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Panfish on short rods.
Post 11 Sep 2022, 20:18 • #1 
Guide
Since we are experiencing a drought in Eastern Mass, even my favorite bass ponds are well below their normal levels and since I haven’t been able to take out my canoe due to some health issues, I have been constrained to shore fishing.
Even my fly fishing club has put fall stocking on hold. After an early ice out this spring and with over 130 assorted trout recorded on my card with a one day 30 fish tally, it is understandable that I have been scrambling to find ways to find fish.
My go to has been a pond at a local public golf club. The bass have been few but the pan fish have saved the day. Using my lightest fiberglass rods and sometimes ultralight glass spinning rods with fly reels, I have been able to enjoy catching fish. Usually at a rate of a fish within 30 seconds of casting. It has also been a good opportunity to test cast my growing collection of fiberglass and figure out what lines are best matches. Unfortunately, I forget to take pictures. Most average around 6” and have beautiful bright orange bellies. I usually use small winged patterns with tiny balsa pegged indicators (steelhead bobbers).
Great fun until the waters get back to normal.

Post 11 Sep 2022, 20:56 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I used to fish bass and pickerel all summer in old mill ponds and city park ponds in SE Ma, but more so in RI, as I recall a cast parallel to and about a foot out from the weed line produced the best. Or toss a good sized streamer so that lands directly on a lilypad, wait a moment then pull it off and strip fast. Heavy stiff tippets seem to guide the fly around snags, but a mono weed guard can help too. 9' St Croix 'glass and DT F lines. We considered mid June to be about the end of trout season. A friend of mine used nymphs to catch perch in a city pond which he then used as fly rod bait for stocked pike in the big pond. His was 9' Wonderod.

Post 11 Sep 2022, 22:00 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
My favorites are 6.5 and 7 foot Wonderods 6 foot browning silaflex 6wts 6 foot cabelas prime 3 wt is the ultimate bluegill rod IMO.Favorite all around pond/creek rod is 7' Phillipson FlyFox .Panfish are still fun but will subdue bass carp catfish etc .We just got a lot of rain so the pond and creek fishing should pick up.I had a stroke in April and was recovering pretty well but over did it and threw my back out 2 weeks ago but am getting back at it this week.

Post 12 Sep 2022, 04:05 • #4 
Master Guide
I love fishing for panfish! Of course eating them too.

64P

Airrite 10pc

Scott 602

Post 12 Sep 2022, 06:58 • #5 
Sport
I enjoy an inexpensive 7’ #5 CGR for panfish. Long casts are never really required, and I often need the backbone of the #5 to get the fish out of the cypress knees.

The post above makes me both envious and hungry. Need to get out for the bluegills/redbreasts at least once more before the summer is over.

Post 12 Sep 2022, 09:04 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I enjoy the 7' 4/5wt CGR , too. Fun with a Cortland Peach 444 Dt5f and poppers, foam bugs, RLD's, bluegill spiders, etc. Green sunfish, bluegill and small bass put a nice bend in it.

Post 12 Sep 2022, 11:43 • #7 
Guide
Heck yes! Panfish bring the fun and the fight. I especially like them with the 7' or 7'-9" Wonderods and 7' FR-2000s with 5 or 6 weight lines, and either poppers or wet flies. Can't beat the action or the smiles.

Post 12 Sep 2022, 14:01 • #8 
Guide
Ahh...with the leaves starting to change here I know my fishing days are fleeting.

This thread is helping make sure I savor this fall and those hits on topwater or the subsurface takes.

Post 12 Sep 2022, 18:03 • #9 
Master Guide
MtPisgah wrote:
Heck yes! Panfish bring the fun and the fight. I especially like them with the 7' or 7'-9" Wonderods and 7' FR-2000s with 5 or 6 weight lines, and either poppers or wet flies. Can't beat the action or the smiles.

+1, Roger that !

Post 12 Sep 2022, 18:08 • #10 
Master Guide
I just had some fun a short time back on local pond doing the same thing here in MA. A hoot with the FR2000 with 5WF floating line. Those pics of the panfish meal also have me hungry. Haven't had a feed of panfish in forever.

Post 12 Sep 2022, 21:55 • #11 
Master Guide
the hersh wrote:
My favorites are 6.5 and 7 foot Wonderods 6 foot browning silaflex 6wts 6 foot cabelas prime 3 wt is the ultimate bluegill rod IMO.Favorite all around pond/creek rod is 7' Phillipson FlyFox .Panfish are still fun but will subdue bass carp catfish etc .We just got a lot of rain so the pond and creek fishing should pick up. I had a stroke in April and was recovering pretty well but over did it and threw my back out 2 weeks ago but am getting back at it this week.
Hey Hersh ...... prayed you'll be back to 100% soon !

Post 24 Sep 2022, 11:02 • #12 
Master Guide
Second on the well wishes for The Hersh! My panfish rods are a Redington Butter Stick v2 7’6-4 and the Eagle Claw Crafted Glass 3WT (I use a 444 Peach DT 4wt on it).

Post 24 Sep 2022, 11:46 • #13 
Master Guide
Yessir. Hope you get to feeling better.

In the meantime, do what you can with what you can!

And thanks for starting this thread! Fishing for panfish brings back the joy of our youth!

Post 27 Sep 2022, 19:11 • #14 
Sport

Red breasts were taking poppers this evening. Holding onto summer as best I can.

Post 28 Oct 2022, 07:50 • #15 
Master Guide
russ17vols71 wrote:
Ahh...with the leaves starting to change here I know my fishing days are fleeting.

This thread is helping make sure I savor this fall and those hits on topwater or the subsurface takes.

That’s a hog of a panfish!

Post 28 Oct 2022, 09:24 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Caught 10 or so hand size gills yesterday fishing for stocked trout in a club i belong to.18 inch trout cruising in less than 4 feet of water.It was maddening as the bluegills took the flies before i could get them in front of the trout.Was using my 6' Browning Silaflex .Roll casting is about the only option in this lake with so much shoreline brush.The short rod shines in these circumstances.Was a chilly breezy sunny day.The gills were very cold but hitting like it was August.

Post 28 Oct 2022, 16:48 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Fredderf wrote:
I usually use small winged patterns with tiny balsa pegged indicators (steelhead bobbers).

I've started doing that too, cheaper and easier than thingamabobbers, and no issues with the line slipping off the bobber post and making a weak loop around itself.. not that it matters for panfish, but in case of a bigger bass..
we'd like to see pictures ;-)

the hersh wrote:
I had a stroke in April and was recovering pretty well but over did it and threw my back out 2 weeks ago but am getting back at it this week.

yikes, I did not know about your stroke.. heal well..

Post 29 Oct 2022, 12:11 • #18 
Guide
Quote:
yikes, I did not know about your stroke.. heal well..

Plus, two on the well wishes for quick, full recovery the Hersh. I always enjoy your posts.

Post 29 Oct 2022, 14:44 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks all,i will never be 100% again but i can still tie cast etc.Just cant walk as far,well it just takes longer.Was roll casting sitting on the bank as my back gets sore after a bit but i just rest for abit and feel good to go another 1/4 mile or so.Looks like early retirement for me ,will never be able to due 8hrs putting in tile but have been able to do half day here and there helping out fam and friends.Actually it helps me more than they know.Fisst thing i did after surgery was fly fish for bluegills at a secret pond.Walking 50yards was a real effort but managed to walk around the 3 acre pond and catch a few 10 inch class bluegills.I was still not allowed to drive then.I knew i would be OK after that.My best friend from 1st grade just had another heart attack 3 mos ago.,runs in his family,just went to Oktoberfest in Germany with his girl.Modern medicine is really something.

Post 02 Nov 2022, 20:59 • #20 
Guide
The hersh-glad you’re able to continue catching fish. I agree as well that fishing for panfish on glass is a blast!

Post 02 Nov 2022, 21:17 • #21 
Guide
I usually forget to take pictures, but here is a couple of tiny bass and a sunfish.

Post 02 Nov 2022, 21:22 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks ,took my 3yo grandson fishing at a retention pond near home today.Caught ar least 50 bluegills.Him on his little kid rod and then we switched to my 6 foot 5wt browning/silaflex.We threw diffent flies and finally settled on sz14 spun deer hair "bees"Caught maybe 25 on 30 short casts.Even the dinks were swallowing this bug.Barbless light wire hooks are a blessing .The fly held up very well .I really packed the hiar tight on these and even after crushing it with hemostats it suffed little damage.Had not fished this pond in a while and some of the gills were 7-8 inchers.Sunny 65 degree weather this time of year made it a great day.The kid kept asking me when are we going ice fishing.I have not ice fished in 20 years .

Post 02 Nov 2022, 21:28 • #23 
Guide
Hersh,

Sounds like a great day out! Tough to beat hungry gills. I enjoy those kids of trips, endless hook sets and the tug on the end of the rod. Sounds to me like he didn’t give you much of an option….dust off the ice fishing gear, you’re going my friend! Surely you can’t say no. Glad you two got to enjoy some time together and made some memories.

Post 03 Nov 2022, 10:39 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Little dude can cast his little kid rod pretty well .He sits in my fishing room at my desk and we tie little balance leach type jigs that we tip with waxworms,All worms are named before being impaled and sent to their death by bluegill.The town next to me is more upscale but all their retention ponds are public water but catch and release only so a few decent fish in them including several big koi.And of course legions of mostly stunted bluegills and crappies.The tiny black and yellow deer hair bugs outfished everything else.The line on his pole was too heavy to get thru the eye of a 14 barbless hook.My son has a heated ice tent so we will see how much ice we get this year,

Post 04 Nov 2022, 09:14 • #25 
Master Guide
I went out to a local Massachusetts pond yesterday for some panfish using a Cabela's CGR 2wt. Caught over 2 dozen I would estimate with a few nice size fish in the mix. I did not take any pictures of the fish, but had a blast on the very flexible little rod. The fly of choice, and one preferred over other dry or nymphs was a partridge and yellow size 16. Did catch a couple on a small cream colored dry and on a copper John with rubber legs.

Don't love that rod, but it certainly was fun, especially on the bigger fish.

Brought along a Bass Pro Shop spinning rod, but had too much fun with the little rod to even break it out.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply