It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:35

New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Sep 2022, 14:33 • #1 
Master Guide
I decided to take Friday off this week and go fishing. Wanted to try out a new to me Fenwick 856-2 and a FY-A310 Shakespeare Wonderod (7.5' 6wt). Brought along a Medalist 1495 with a Cortland 444 6wt DT peach line and a 1494 with a Chinese imported 6WF line. I have not been up there for four years. I had kind of soured on it, as when I used to go years ago the water release schedule was not as consistently predictable as it apparently has been for a while now. The water would be cooler as the section where I was fishing (below Fife Brook Dam) is from a bottom release of the dam.

I woke up at 3:30am and had the car already packed and the coffee all ready to go. It took me 1:45 to get there, no traffic to worry about, just had to keep the speed in check and watch out for any animals in the road. I was on the water at the parking area near the dam by 5:50am. No other cars there, which surprised me on the Friday before the long weekend. Air temps were 45 degrees and there was some very light fog over the water.

After thinking I had everything - I realized I only had two strike indicators and left my reading glasses in the car. Had to go grab the glasses, as it is too difficult to tie on a size 20 hook for the dropper. I started nymphing with a Prince nymph with a black midge nymph with a blaze orange strike indicator. There were 2 rises with one fish splashing up on the surface in the pool I was fishing to start, which I took to be a good sign. Soon after I hooked my only fish of the day on the midge nymph.

I fished for a while up by the dam and then went downstream to a well known pool where the river takes a 90 degree bend. No one in the parking spot, which is a good sign. As I was walking down another angler pulled in, so I wasn't going to have this section to myself. I got a little jumpy and fished the foam line on the near side of the river, but wanter to park myself on the inside of the bend, so crossed the river. That was probably a mistake, but I thought that the water going from the riffle water into the pool would be more productive - it wasn't. The other angler was fishing a dry fly in the foam and I did not see him hook up.

I continued downstream and went to the railroad bridge near the Hoosic Tunnel. I went across the bridge and down to the water. It looked great. I was trying to nymph the water downstream of the bridge but again came up with nothing. It was getting to the time when the water release was going to happen. The vans and school buses full of rafters were heading up to the dam. I came back up and met the other angler who was at the previous pool and we talked for a bit.

I then headed downstream to the Zoar picnic area and then further downstream. I put the Fenwick away and went with the shorter Wonderod and did some dry fly fishing. There were no fish seen rising, but I wanted to give it a try and see how the rod cast. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The rod is a bit heavier than some Cortland fiberglass rods I have, but it roll cast nicely and regular casting worked well too. I think I will cut off the front loop on this line and nail knot the leader butt directly to the line.

I then went to another spot closer to the town of Charlemont on my way out. This used to be a nice little spot a buddy showed me years ago and somewhere that I have had success before, but the area has changed in the 25 years since I had regularly fished this river. It was flat and shallow and rather featureless, so I enjoyed a pipe and just sat and relaxed enjoying the scenery.

A bonus was I saw some turkeys. foxes, deer and a bald eagle.

Post 03 Sep 2022, 16:02 • #2 
Master Guide
I was there a couple of days before you, got totally blanked up at the dam in the am, moved downriver when the release came, same area as you, day use picnic area and I found rising fish, Ants! Did a lot better on the risers.
I agree about the release schedule this year, seems to be more consistent and going by what is scheduled.
I also read that they are trying to get an increase in the minimum winter flow from 125 to 250cfs, to protect the spawning reds. In my opinion, year round 250 minimum would be awesome on that river.

Post 03 Sep 2022, 22:07 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Glad you got out, even fa fish-light day. It’s always good to revisit places we haven’t been for a while; can be surprised, both ways.

Post 04 Sep 2022, 08:40 • #4 
Master Guide
Wjude - increasing the flows a bit might be good for potential spawning and fishing. Those rocks are very slick, so too much might make for some interesting wading. I was happy to have screwed in some spikes in wading boots this year, it has made me more comfortable on slick rocky surfaces.

Upstream - it has been good to focus on fishing more and getting back to doing something that I enjoy. Part of that is visiting these spots I used to go - time is short as it goes by quickly - I realize that in my mid fifties, so gotta do it now.

Post 04 Sep 2022, 09:18 • #5 
Guide
I really enjoy the Deerfield. However it is often a one or 2 Place for me

Post 04 Sep 2022, 10:06 • #6 
Master Guide
It is slick up by the dam, I’m with ya on the studs! Downriver is more like a freestone river, much easier to wade.

I’ve had days where I totally crushed the fish, days where I caught one first off, then a goose egg for rest of day and days where I was totally blanked. I guess that why I have a love hate relationship with it, just never know how the catching is going to go, but the fishing is always good.

Post 04 Sep 2022, 10:53 • #7 
Guide
outstanding report and photos, thank you for sharing!

Post 06 Sep 2022, 17:26 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
the water looked good.. that's all I need when out fishing, a bit of hope ;-)
sometimes in those bigger rivers the fish will move in pods, and there will be long stretches empty of fish.. suspect this may be even more so in rivers that go up and down with dam releases..

Post 09 Sep 2022, 21:16 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Pretty water and a good account. Some days you just hunt for fish, and that next hole beckons only to send you away fish-less. A good day anyway.

Post 10 Sep 2022, 09:43 • #10 
Master Guide
Thanks folks for the replies. I just need the thought of hope too when trying to catch fish. I was talking to a buddy last night in Bozeman, MT and our fishing conversation had that theme for me - we measure miles per fish here in MA and out West and in other areas with nice trout fisheries - it is fish per mile. By the end of our conversation he may have had me convinced to make a trip up to the upper Connecticut River this fall.

Post 11 Sep 2022, 19:53 • #11 
Guide
I haven’t fished the Deerfield since I was a kid. My dad and my two uncles took me and my cousin. Rented log cabins in some state park.
Lots of card playing, betting on fish caught, drinking for the adults and my favorite, slab bacon and eggs. My uncle won the pool for the largest rainbow. I only caught a sucker. Maybe it was actually a carp. But they were good memories. I am planning to get back out there this fall.
Going to edit this. Maybe my dad was correct. A sucker is actually a native fish and more likely I caught that than the common carp which is an invasive species more likely to be found in local ponds.

New Topic Add Reply