It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:46

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Aug 2022, 00:59 • #1 
Sport
Listened to an interview with Hal Janssen on the Wet Fly Swing Fly Fishing Podcast. Quite entertaining to hear Hal talk, but the interviewer had a tough time keeping him on topic. He does spend some time explaining how graphite rods are not good fishing tools.

What I could gather Hal uses a 2wt fiberglass rod for all his stillwater fishing that he built himself. He uses a sinking line and light Hardy reels.

However the specifics were not mentioned. Does anyone know what length and what blank he's using and what sinking lines?

Post 17 Aug 2022, 16:20 • #2 
Administrator
You could ask him. His contact information is available on his website (https://haljanssen.net/).

Tom

Post 17 Aug 2022, 19:08 • #3 
Guide
Hal built his rods on blanks rolled to his specs by Fisher. 8 ft and a bit shorter were ones I remember. Very soft. They had extremely short grips and uplocking reel seats. Off center ferruled for a long tip section.

Post 17 Aug 2022, 21:40 • #4 
Master Guide
I had one of his rods. 8'6" for a 3wt on a fisher blank with staggered ferrules. Would easily cast a 2wt or lighter line. A very slow rod, sort of like the winston stalker blanks. You could eat part of your sandwich while waiting on the back cast. I talked to Hal at speyoramma at the golden gate casting ponds one year and he said he knew where just about all of them he built were and was interested in knowing where I had acquired it.
If you zoom up on the second pic. you can see his label. Sort of.

Post 22 Aug 2022, 17:41 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I started tying flies according to the classic English patterns as that's all that was in the books I could find.. then learned to tie flies from a book by Hal, so pretty much all my flies since then are influenced by his tying methods. Can't remember the title or find it anymore..

Post 28 Aug 2022, 04:20 • #6 
Sport
Jgestar, I have sent Hal an e-mail, no answer yet.

Doubt I'll invest in a slow 8'ish two wieght, but it's fascinating to hear someone with such an unique approach to stillwater. I've contemplated purchasing his book Stillwater Fly-Fishing Secrets, but with shipping to Sweden and customs, I think I'll put my money elsewhere.

I will however invest in a sinking line and try out his leech pattern. I have yet to find a method of stillwater fishing that I find enjoyable. Just watching a bobber isn't really my thing.

New Topic Add Reply