It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:33

New Topic Add Reply
New Addiction
Post 13 Aug 2022, 23:55 • #1 
Sport
I’ve know for a few years that there were smallmouth a short ride up the interstate from my house, but for whatever reason I never pursued them until recently. For the past month few weeks I’ve been hitting a smallmouth creek about once a week. The first few times I went, I didn’t get a single smallie (though I did catch a decent spot). Last week, I caught one that was 7-8”. It was only my 2nd smallmouth ever. This week, it finally paid off. I fished most of the morning on top with a large Ol’ Mr. Wiggly without having much luck, then decided to downsize to a size 8 popper. My first cast into what looked like unproductive water produced my first decent size smallie. He hit the little popper like a torpedo and pulled like a freight train. Needlessly to say, I’m hooked.

Re: New Addiction
Post 14 Aug 2022, 00:26 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Smallies are indeed quite fun! That's a nice one.

I also love the fact that they have that feisty never quit attitude....I kinda wish the tiger muskies I fish for had that.

Post 14 Aug 2022, 06:51 • #3 
Guide
Smallmouth are a blast. Hit hard and fight hard. They are a lot of fun to target. Congrats, that’s a nice fish!

Post 14 Aug 2022, 07:20 • #4 
Guide
It’s definitely easy to get hooked on them. Growing up in MD, they were in several of the small-mid size streams within a half hour of where we lived, plus the bigger rivers. We fished for them all the time. Wish I had them around me now.

Post 14 Aug 2022, 08:19 • #5 
Guide
Congrats Matt. Smallies are a blast. I've heard them called the native trout of the mid west.

Post 14 Aug 2022, 09:47 • #6 
Sport
I wish they were more numerous here in Alabama. Luckily I’m only about an hour south of the Tennessee state line, so they are only a short drive north of where I live.

Post 14 Aug 2022, 10:45 • #7 
Guide
Finding a good fishing spot near home is one life’s simple pleasures. Nice fish and enjoy the spot!

Post 14 Aug 2022, 11:52 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
That's a very nice bass -- thanks for showing!

Post 14 Aug 2022, 12:16 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I grew up fishing for them and rock bass and pike.The internet made so many creeks that flow into major rivers well known .Too many people disrespected the property owners.Now nobody can fish in many of the spots we used to have access to.Lake Michigan is full of really big smallies but you need a boat and not a little boat.There are some places left and a couple members here catch them in the smaller rivers but those are very populated areas I miss my smallies and my cousins cows walking up and down the creek with me.

Post 14 Aug 2022, 12:28 • #10 
Guide
Matt wrote:
I wish they were more numerous here in Alabama. Luckily I’m only about an hour south of the Tennessee state line, so they are only a short drive north of where I live.

Smallmouth are my favorite warm water fish. You are really lucky as not only do you have access to smallmouth an hour away, Alabama is home to the most diverse group of bass subspecies in North America with the Redeye, Coosa, Shoal, Tallapoosa, and Alabama spotted bass in your area. Definitely buy Fly Fishing for Redeye Bass for a deep dive in habits and location of the unique species in your area (all closely related to smallmouth and spotted bass:

https://www.amazon.com/Fly-Fishing-Rede ... 546666443/

Post 14 Aug 2022, 21:07 • #11 
Master Guide
I’ll second the redeye bass book recommendation above. The author, Matt Lewis, is a great guy and a trusted resource on the topic as he’s a fisheries biologist. If you’re in north Alabama, you’re probably a short drive from several of the native redeye bass species.

I’ve come to appreciate native redeye bass species in our area over the past few years - so much that I just finished a rod build specifically with these bass in mind, a Trout Smiths 7’6” 4/5wt.

I’d also recommend getting in touch with Brandon Bailes. Brandon is an FFR member from north Alabama who ties some of the best flies you will ever see. His fly company is called Panther Branch Bugs. He’s also a big fan of smallmouth bass.

Post 14 Aug 2022, 21:23 • #12 
Sport
Thanks guys, Fly Fishing for Redeye Bass is definitely on my list to read. Matt Lewis’ appearance on the Orvis podcast was very interesting and informative.

I am coming back to fly fishing after a hiatus of a few years. I am slowly starting to discover what an incredible fishery we have in Alabama.

Post 15 Aug 2022, 11:48 • #13 
Guide
Here’s another blog that has a lot of great information about Redeye bass and all the other species you’ve got in your area:

https://mountainstomarsh.com/2018/05/16 ... oosa-bass/

https://mountainstomarsh.com/2018/05/19 ... haba-bass/

Beautiful streams and fish and definitely on my bucket list.

Post 16 Aug 2022, 11:12 • #14 
Sport
I have read that exact blog more than once lol. I have fished a tributary to the Black Warrior many times over the past 10 years and have never seen a Warrior Redeye. I contacted Matt Lewis through IG about it and he said for whatever reason they are not in that tributary. There are Warrior Redeyes about an hour away from my house in the national forest, it’s pretty remote there. I’ve got a 1 year old that I carry in a backpack when I fish and it makes me a little nervous getting that far away with no cell service. My wife and I have 4 kids and I have figured out I can fish a lot more if I take the little one with me.

Post 22 Aug 2022, 17:55 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I love smallmouth..

Alabama should do a Bass Slam certificate, like the Wyoming Cutt Slam..

Post 22 Aug 2022, 18:21 • #16 
Master Guide
We actually do have a slam certificate for all the Redeye bass species!

Post 22 Aug 2022, 19:30 • #17 
Sport
doug in co wrote:
I love smallmouth..

Alabama should do a Bass Slam certificate, like the Wyoming Cutt Slam..
bmbailes wrote:
We actually do have a slam certificate for all the Redeye bass species!

That’s awesome. I didn’t know about either of those programs.

New Topic Add Reply