It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:06

New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Aug 2022, 10:09 • #1 
Guide
I will be passing through the Catskills for the first time in mid-August and may have the opportunity to wet a line. I have been reading up as much as possible on potential conditions, including threads on this forum. My sense is that the only trout option this time of year would likely be on the West Branch of the Delaware tailwater. The Esopus also has a cold water input via "The Portal" but reviews seem mixed due to turbidity and fluctuating temperatures. The Beaverkill and Willowemoc look too warm for trout this time of year. This has me wondering about smallmouth options. Schoharie Creek for instance. My preference is to walk and wade as opposed to floating on one of the reservoirs. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Catskills smallmouth scene in mid-August? What rod length and line weight would you recommend? Flies? I was thinking of brining my Steffen 8'6" 5/6. Thank you.

Post 09 Aug 2022, 10:38 • #2 
Guide
I would not ignore the East Branch of the Delaware, above Shinhopple...Al's fly shop by the bridge may be gone "Al's Landing" has a website, canoe rental and maybe some fishing info. A tailwater, so the river stays cold downstream from the dam at Downsville. Hoppers, maybe..challenging fishing any time of year but a glass rod with delicate presentation may bring up one of the 18"+ browns in the river.

Though it has been many years, I fished the Catskills as a young man, last time about 10 years ago, in August. May not give up on the Esopus above Phoenicia..I recall an access point by the cemetery along Rte 28 at Shandaken might prove productive. My high school, Onteora CS was in Boiceville, NY on the banks of the Esopus. Could explore above the Portal at Shandaken, take a look to see if river is high enough to fish.

The water is warm in the Schoharie this time of year, but you may be able to bring a few up to dries above Lexington , Art Flick's old Stompin' Grounds. So much smallmouth water in the region hard to direct you to good fishing, and it was so many years ago I fished the more obscure spots fro smallmouth. Mostly fished the Ashokan Reservoir for smallies, a huge lake that may be really low right now and requires a special fishing permit.

Post 09 Aug 2022, 10:49 • #3 
Guide
Thanks Phila-a-Flex. Very helpful.

Post 09 Aug 2022, 11:30 • #4 
Master Guide
West Branch and East Branch, both in the upper sections are cold, the post before mine, all good info, with one exception, hoppers are not great table fair on these tailwaters, they do work, but not as well as on other waters near by. Expect to see Olives and Sulphers, more so as you get closer to the dams. If the water temps stay decent in the lower sections of each branch, you might find Iso’s. Ants and Bettles also.
Get yourself a copy of Paul Weamers book, it’s the best reference for DYI wade and floats of both branches and the main stem.
One thing about the upper West Branch, the alge and weed debris can be a real pain, frustrating when trying to use a dry dropper rig or nymphs, but dry dropper is my most successful way to fish that river.
Neversink is another tailwater, small river, but good, up near the dam this time of year.

Post 10 Aug 2022, 06:30 • #5 
Guide
Your only options for the Catskills are tiny blue-line headwaters, which I would shy away from unless you know the area/water your fishing, or the upper east branch by the reservoir, and the west branch which should be fine for its entire length. Smallmouth would be your best bet. Fish the main stem around Callicon and below for smallies.

For the branches, best fishing would be early morning and sunset. Primarily sulphers this time of year, with some Isos. Rusty spinners after sunset are a must have in your box, and don't be afraid to tie a size 10 or 8 rusty spinner on when the light fades to dark. If overcast midday look for small BWO. As mentioned above the "lettuce" in the upper west branch is annoying, for me it's top water only.

Post 10 Aug 2022, 16:33 • #6 
Guide
Catskill creek, Scoharie creek and the mouths of any tributary as it enters the Hudson or Mohawk will have plenty of smallmouth right now. Dusk or dawn is best but some very good fish can be had on the surface at mid day too. That was my territory for 8 years. Scoharie has miles of good water with both small and large bass.

New Topic Add Reply