It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:13

New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Aug 2022, 09:31 • #1 
Sport
I've had a Fenwick FF 856 (8'6" 2 pc. 6 wt.) for about a year now, and really like it. This was my first fiberglass fly rod, and I like it A LOT better than the entry-level name-brand 5 wt. graphite rods I started out with, and kind of gave up on. Anyway, when a FF86-5 (8'6" 5 pc. 6 wt.) showed up on the auction site, I couldn't resist. I wanted something more compact. I made the minimum bid, and ended up being the only bidder. The rod is in excellent condition! The tube alone is worth half of what I paid. I'm really surprised that there no other bidders. I put an SA Frequency Boost 6 wt. line on it. I've taken it to a nearby pond several times now. This pond has mostly 6-8 inch Bluegills, Pumpkinseeds, and smaller Bass. I like the FF86-5 marginally better than the FF856! I know that most people would consider a 6 wt. to be overkill for this pond, but it's convenient, and a good place to practice.

From my reading and research, most people would be using 3-4 wt. rods for panfish, but I am wondering why? Even the smaller (5-6 inch Pumpkinseeds) put a bend in these 6 weight rods. They're probably more versatile than a 3-4 wt. (or even a 5 wt.) if I run into a situation where I'd like to cast larger flies, or it's a windy day. It seems that there are a lot more vintage 6 wt. rods available than lighter weight rods, so in its heyday, the 6 wt. must have been more popular than lighter weight-rods, huh?

Though I have been fishing for more than 60 years, the fly fishing gig is pretty new to me. Other than more bend, is there a compelling reason for using a 3-4 wt. rod for warm-water fishing? In my ignorance, I probably would have shied away from a 6 wt. thinking that I should have a lighter weight rod. The only reason I bought the FF856 was that it was so inexpensive and in such great shape. Now, I'm perfectly satisfied using a 6 wt. I hope that other neophytes to fiberglass fly rods don't pass up on 6 wt. rods, thinking they need something lighter. In my opinion that would be a big mistake! Just sayin'.

Post 08 Aug 2022, 10:17 • #2 
Guide
My understanding is vintage rods were 5wts or heavier because 1-4wt lines were not readily available at the time. Vintage rod manufacturers concentrated taper designs around the 6-7wt line weights.

As for reasons to use a 3-4wt, lighter presentation and more fun with smaller fish. Until the wind picks up. Yes, the 6wt is more versatile and will cover more situations, thus their popularity. For warm water situations, I can see using a 3-4wt in the late afternoon when the wind dies down on a smaller pond/stream.

Post 08 Aug 2022, 10:25 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Base your choice of line weight on the size of the flies to be used, not the size of the fish to be caught. Anything will "throw" a fly, but 6 and 7 weights are very versatifle for panfishing where bulky flies and streamers might me used.

Lighter lines weren't in common use or perfected in manufacture early in the 'glass era because there was little demand--and that because many of the fisheries that developed after the Clean Water Act just didn't exist any more than fishable populations of fish that depended on the tiny aquatic life that likewise was minimal. As these bio-indicator species came back with improving water quality, fish grew on them, and so did angling interest.

Post 08 Aug 2022, 11:37 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Light lines are not really an advantage for warm water fishing. They do make sense when fishing nymphs or soft hackles because it's easier to keep in touch with the fly if you have a lighter line (and rod) in between. But if you were going to fish for trout on soft hackles on your 856 you could use a 4wt line on it. It wouldn't cast as comfortably but you would be trading that off for better contact with your flies. It would be a matter of personal choice.

Great rod by the way!

Post 08 Aug 2022, 12:04 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Size of the flies prompted me, some years ago, to pose this question, which produced a useful thread.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47692&p=197261&hilit=Bluegill#p197261

You’ll note a number of people favoring 6wts, although plenty of 3wts as well. Use what pleases you. For me, bluegill-heavy warm water usually gets a 6 or a 5, depending upon what’s expected; I don’t like being up out and having a change of conditions decide I’m under gunned. FWIW, I fish 4wts a lot, and have found a couple that will handle bigger foam floaters in open space with a fair amount of wind, but most of my 4wt rods won’t do that to my satisfaction, and I tend to think or the 4/5 as the dividing line. And as you’ve found out, a 6wt glass rod can get a nice bend on a smaller fish; I remember a day on a shoal bass river where graphite buddies downstream swore that, from the bend in my FF80-4, one fish had to be an 18 incher, but it was about 11”, and I’ve had plenty of fun with 6wts and hand sized bream.

Post 08 Aug 2022, 12:22 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
If you are getting bluegills in the 8 inch range I would say a 6 wt. is just fine.You would be a long time getting in a bluegill like that on a 4 wt.

Post 08 Aug 2022, 12:46 • #7 
Sport
Thanks for the link Upstream. Interesting...

Post 08 Aug 2022, 18:06 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
"BEND" has nothing to do with it. Back in the day everybody used 6 and 7wt because they are far and away the most useful rods and lines, I'll bet most folks couldn't afford a bunch of different rods. In the 70's I had a Lamiglass 7/8 wt and I used it for everything from bluegill to salmon. A LOT of 4-7" trout in there too.
Capitalism being what it is, rod and line makers figured out they could sell a lot more stuff if everybody needed 4 or 5 different rods and lines.

Trying to cast a fair sized fly like a #6 bugger or hopper on a 4wt is just a chore. With a 6wt, or 7wt, it's a joy.

Post 09 Aug 2022, 03:44 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Back in the day the 856 was considered a wet fly rod. In fact it casts beautiful open loops and is perfect for aerial mending with a 5 or 6 line and yes, you can go all the way down to a 4wt if you tolerate a bit more of a wave on the bottom leg of the loop. The 5 piece is slightly softer and noticeably slower than the two piece - even more suited to wet fly fishing.

Objectively speaking with a 755 and and a 856 you can cover just about any trout fishing you can imagine. Maybe I should sell all that other stuff in the closet and become a minimalist?

Post 09 Aug 2022, 07:51 • #10 
Sport
Interesting you should say that Giogio. I have the modern day Fenwick FG765-3 I bought from Dette Flies In NY on close-out awhile back, so I do have a 7'6" 5 wt. In fact, I'm pretty sure I read about it's availability on this site. At the time, I thought I should have a 5 wt. rod, and the vintage 5 wts. were hard to come by or were nearly as expensive as a new one on the auction site. Turns out, I like the vintage 6 wts. better. :) I have noticed that the FF86-5 is softer than the FF865, which was a surprise. I figured that with the 3 additional ferrules it would be more stiff, but it's not. I also have both 2 pc and 5 piece Fenwick 8 wt. rods, the FF85 and FF85-5, that I like very well too.

I guess the thing I like best about these rods is that I can easily feel them load, and it has helped my timing significantly. And that has helped me a lot with casting any fly rod!

Post 09 Aug 2022, 08:52 • #11 
Guide
As Giogio mentioned above, I agree that there is a strong case to be made for minimalism. Of course, collecting is fun. And I have yet to become a minimalist, but in terms of practical fishing application I just don't think a person needs a ton of rods.

Sounds like the ff 856 and 86-5 are true all around rods that would seve anyone well.

Post 09 Aug 2022, 15:09 • #12 
Master Guide
I use 4wts and they can land big fish but my FF 856-2 and FF856-5 get a nice bend put in them by any of the bluegills and bass I catch (have not fished for trout with them yet). They also land the fish faster (but still fun) which is easier on the fish and are more versatile, in these ponds and rivers in Florida you just never know what you are going to hook into and I’d hate to snap one of my 4wts on a big bowfin or alligator gar … or an alligator come to think of it.

Post 10 Aug 2022, 07:05 • #13 
Guide
I’ve owned rods down to two weight and feel a five to seven weight glass rod is just as much fun for small fish, yet so much more versatile when it comes to fly size and wind.

Post 11 Aug 2022, 23:27 • #14 
Sport
Interesting, I would think there would be more 3-4 weight fans than responded. My absolute day in, day out panfish rod is the 6’6” CGR 4 weight. It brings in the occasional bass up to 3 pounds, bluegill and redear to 11-12”, and casts foam spiders or small bunny leeches with aplomb. As well it works a treat on some of the overgrown little creeks we have nearby.

The CGR 2 weight hasn’t earned my love, but is still better than the CGR 7’6” 5 weight, which doesn’t seem to get me anything over the 4 weight when it comes to panfish.

I know that I’ll likely have to go much further upscale than I have been paying to get what I think will be the cat’s meow panfish rod: 7-7’6” 3 weight. But am hoping that it won’t be too much over $300-$400. A Maxcatch 7’ 3 weight that arrived yesterday as an Amazon points freebie was my inner cheapskate’s hope for “ panfish nirvana”. However in my hands feels like it would rather use a 4 weight line. It is otherwise quite nice for the princely sum of $72. If I was going to be solely casting at least 30’ of line outside the guides it would be great on the 3 weight line, but I do a lot of fishing for panfish with half of that, and it just felt too lightly loaded.

Scott

New Topic Add Reply