It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:32

New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Aug 2022, 08:47 • #1 
Guide
Hi Guys,

Recently, I was looking for Gogi, a subspecies of Char that live only in the Cyugoku region of Japan, in streams I had never been, but my attempts were unsuccessful. Meanwhile, the day before yesterday, a fishing buddy invited me to go fishing for Gogi beyond the cliff (https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72336) tomorrow. I have no choice but to go!

It was 5:00 when we arrived at the parking area closest to the stream. In the pre-dawn low light, we headed for the cliffs we had to climb to reach the Gogi paradise.

This is my third time climbing the cliff. The first time I climbed the cliff with wading boots that are not suitable for climbing, I still remember the fear I felt at that time...

Perhaps because it had rained the previous day, there was still some haze on the stream after dawn. There was a forecast that it might rain, but the weather turned out to be unexpectedly good.

The water level was higher than expected, and the current speed was rising, so it seemed difficult to enjoy fly fishing. The fishing buddy recommended me to use his lure rod, so I enjoyed fishing by switching between my fly rod and his lure rod depending on the situation.

The rod he lent me was the TAPER & SHAPE Japan trout X GJTXS-51ULT spinning rod (https://www.taperandshape.co.jp/glassway/japan-trout-x/). YEESSS! IT IS A FIBERGLASS ROD!!
A Scott powr-ply 5' 8" #3 was also used in this trip (no picture, sorry).

Because of the high water level, fish were scattered and difficult to catch, but big fish were active. The Gogi in the stream are colored strongly orange, some pale, and some in between, witch would be the result of them genetically different populations being transplanted here. There used to be professional fishermen in Japan who provided the fish they caught in mountain streams to people living in mountainous areas. They were called "Shokuryousi" (職漁師 in kanji) and transplanded trouts into streams to increase their fishing grounds. Therefore, information about the original distribution of various species of Japanese trout has been lost. BTW, Tenkara was reportedly developed by 職漁師 (https://www.mizu.gr.jp/kikanshi/no59/04.html: written in Japanese).

I caught some big fish. These would be the "nyu-kon" (https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70452) for my kineya net at last...

We can finally say fishing is over when we get home safely.

Thank you for looking.

Last edited by takeru on 07 Aug 2022, 15:10, edited 3 times in total.

Post 07 Aug 2022, 08:55 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Thank you for taking the time with posting all the great photos of your adventure takeru ! An amazing day of well (hard) earned fishing.

Post 07 Aug 2022, 10:00 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Excellent report! That looks like a really fun adventure!

Post 07 Aug 2022, 10:33 • #4 
Guide
It's fascinating to learn more about the Japanese fly fishing culture through these last two posts and your links. Thanks for sharing.

Post 07 Aug 2022, 10:41 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Thank you. Beautiful fish and stream. Clearly worth the effort.

Post 07 Aug 2022, 11:31 • #6 
Guide
Your Gogi quest is very interesting and educational. Thank you for taking us with you.

Post 07 Aug 2022, 11:45 • #7 
Guide
Beautiful photos of a magical looking place. I always enjoy your posts of the streams, countryside, and unique species of trout/char.

Post 07 Aug 2022, 11:59 • #8 
Guide
Thanks for taking us along. Really nice write up and beautiful scenery.

Post 07 Aug 2022, 12:42 • #9 
Guide
Takeru, that’s quite the impressive barrier falls that apparently goes over the cliff you had to climb to get to your fishing grounds.

Your posts have aroused my curiosity to the point of reading about the various trout and char species in Japan. It seems that Gogi is about the most highly sought after, like some kind of precious metal or jewel. Perhaps one day, while wandering around in search of a trophy Gogi, you will encounter the last surviving Shokuryousi, who will be so lonely after years of mountain solitude that he will be extremely talkative and tell you all he knows about secluded Gogi fishing holes that nobody else has ever fished. Then you can blissfully spend your time fishing for, catching and releasing Gogi to your heart’s content.

Post 07 Aug 2022, 19:27 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Fantastic Trip and fishing ... were either of those big fish a "Shaku" ??

Pecos

p.s. I have a stream I want to fish which is in a canyon. it looks like once in the canyon, the difficulty is not to hard to navigate upstream and downstream. But from the roadway, the bank is too steep to simply hike down ... but with a safety rope like you were carrying, I believe I can get in and out the same way, like you did, then gather the safety rope at the top on the way out. How long is your orange safety rope, and what is the diameter of the rope? I presume it is some type of nylon? I need to go back in late fall with binoculars when the foliage if off of the trees to better estimate the rope length required.

Post 07 Aug 2022, 21:01 • #11 
Master Guide
Thanks for sharing, magical trip.

Post 07 Aug 2022, 21:45 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I have been in the mountains around Hiroshima, but never in an area as wild and beautiful as the area pictured. I could only wish I had been a flyfisher during the time I was stationed at Iwakuni.

Larry

Post 07 Aug 2022, 23:33 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
those are some gorgeous fish.. so climbing the cliffs, was worth it.. beautiful !

Post 08 Aug 2022, 07:37 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Outstanding!
Thank you.

Post 08 Aug 2022, 10:00 • #15 
Guide
PampasPete,

I am glad you are interested in Japanese trouts, which I love.

There are 4 subspecies of char in Japan: Ezo-iwana, Nikko-iwana, Yamato-iwana, and Gogi. Ezo-iwana live only in Hokkaido. Nikko-iwana is a subspecies that inhabits a wide area of ​​Honshu. Yamato-iwana live only in the Chubu region. And a special Gogi for me is a subspecies that live only in the Chugoku region where I live. Among these, Yamato-iwana is regarded as a special existence like Gogi. In particular, it is feared that these hybrids will overwhelm pure Yamato-iwana because Yamato-iwana can hybridize with Nikko-iwana, and Nikko-iwana is transplanted in many places. There are many anglers in the Chubu region who are looking for pure Yamato-iwana.

Pecos,

Unfortunately these were 3-4cm short of the "Shaku"...

The rope we are using is 20 m long and 9 mm in diameter made of nylon. This is a general purpose product, not for climbing.

What boots you use to climb/descend cliffs is just as important as what rope you choose. The first time I climbed this cliff, I was wearing SIMMS G3 Guide boots with felt soles. Friends of mine had told me beforehand that it would be difficult to climb this cliff using boots with inflexible soles. When I actually climbed here, I keenly felt that those words were correct. After that, they recommended boots with flexible soles made of rubber, Mont-bell #1125111 boots. The flexible sole provides a large contact surface against the slopes of the cliffs. Further, many areas of this cliff are covered with fallen leaves but the rubber sole prevents slipping in those areas.

Your posture when climbing/descending cliffs is also important. When I challenged this cliff for the first time, I could only take a posture leaning against the cliff and the rope. But now I know the correct posture is to lean on the other side of the cliff.

takeru

Post 08 Aug 2022, 12:34 • #16 
Guide
Thank you for posting this Takeru. Gorgeous and rugged terrain. The Gogi look to be Brook Trout in my neck of the woods. I fish all types of "fly rods" and enjoy them all, however for streams like that I prefer Tenkara.

Post 08 Aug 2022, 19:38 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Thank You for your good advice Takeru ! It looks like Mont-Bell is no longer producing boots like that ... so I will need an alternative. By the way, a little tip is to always soak your G-3 Felt soles either at home before you leave for a day trip, or bring an extra gallon of water and wet the felt when you are putting your gear on. The felt will slip far less when completely wet.

Pecos

Post 09 Aug 2022, 09:09 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I enjoyed reading this report, thank you. Beautiful fish and scenery !

I've been experimenting with BFS lure fishing this year, though mainly in mountain lakes, as our creeks in the western US get high water in the winter and spring. I like to replace treble hooks with single barbless hooks on my lures.

Careful, Juan. If you start thinking about rope, then it might be good to find someone who has climbing or high angle search and rescue experience

Post 10 Aug 2022, 16:42 • #19 
Guide
That looks like an amazing fishing adventure.

Post 12 Aug 2022, 00:11 • #20 
Sport
Sawanobori? Or almost? Beautiful setting and fish either way. Thank you so much for sharing.

It is a hope of mine to one day fish on the island of Hokkaido. For Iwana, Yamaha and Amago. Getting into true genryu areas will likely be beyond me though, as I’m getting a bit long in the tooth.

Post 17 Aug 2022, 22:30 • #21 
Sport
Just terrific, takeru. What an adventure!

Post 22 Aug 2022, 17:15 • #22 
Sport
Beautiful looking stream and fish. I've watched a few videos where Japanese anglers have climbed in and out of very steep sided streams in pursuit of trout. You are a lot keener than I am!

Steve

Post 26 Aug 2022, 10:41 • #23 
Guide
As always, thank you so much for sharing with us. Your trips are wonderful to see!
Carl

Post 26 Aug 2022, 11:42 • #24 
Master Guide
The fish and scenery is absolutely stunning. What an amazing place to fish thank you for posting your adventure!

New Topic Add Reply