It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:26

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Skagit Casting
Post 05 Aug 2022, 22:11 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Thinking about trying skagit casting and trying to figure out if one or two weight fly lines could be used as running lines. Or are they too thick.

I've have a couple 9' Phillipsons with six inch fighting butts and not sure if will even work for this type casting. So trying to keep the line cost to a minimum.

Fly lines can be had for 1/5th the price of advertised running lines, so would be great if they would work.

Also, wondering if would be easier to strip line and less likely to tangle than monofilament.

Apologize if stupid question and thanks for any help.

Barry.

Re: Skagit Casting
Post 05 Aug 2022, 23:38 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you're just looking for something that's going to shoot a long ways for mostly swinging and minimal stripping, 30lb Stren works just fine (I like the Stren catfish mono). If you're looking for something that you can grip a little bit better (but won't shoot as far), then some sort of fly line will work great for that. You can use any rod for this style of casting, it doesn't have to be a two-hander.

Regarding tangling, I always have more issues with the fly line styles of running line tangling more than mono, but neither tangles much at all (just stretch out your mono before fishing).

For actual skagit heads for my SH lines, I prefer the Commando heads. 275-300 for 8wt, 250 for 7wt, 225 for 6wt. 7-8' tips up to T10 work great. I'd stay away from poly leaders as they just don't dig into the water enough when loading your cast (they're certainly castable, but require a bit more finesse and timing).

The nice thing about glass is that it's exceptionally forgiving with this style of casting....

Post 06 Aug 2022, 00:08 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Great information.

Thank You

Post 06 Aug 2022, 05:43 • #4 
Master Guide
Hi Barry,

I've used light fly lines on micro spey setups, and for my now teenage daughter to use with OPST heads. As Clarkman said, it will work. the drag of the fly line can help with turn over. I just cutt the head off and welded a loop on them, or put a mono loop on them.

Tell us the rods normal line weight you are thinking about using and I bet we can give you a short head grain suggestion.

I actually prefer mono most of the time, even on my 13ft 7wt.

As to back to your rods, lots of people take a longer single hand rod and put a short lower grip on it for this purpose you are describing.

Robert

Post 06 Aug 2022, 09:49 • #5 
Guide
For coated running line, and I've tested a lot of them, the best I've found is monic running line, looped ends, slick, supple and rarely tangles. 65lb core no stretch. They are a bit stiffer then just regular fly line. I gave up on Mono a few years back. I can cast long all day and fish without the aggravation of knots and tangles in the guides. Some things are worth the cost.

Post 06 Aug 2022, 13:52 • #6 
Guide
good info here. I'm just tring to get my trout spey set up. Might consider using old fly line or even look into monic. Anyone ever use Amnesia as a running line?

Post 06 Aug 2022, 14:22 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the information.

I'm planning on using on two nine foot Phillipsons. One a nine weight and one a ten weight.

Only have the one fighting butt to share between the two rods and would like to find another.

Barry

Last edited by GRASSNGLASS on 09 Aug 2022, 11:24, edited 2 times in total.

Post 06 Aug 2022, 18:28 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
JShenk_615 wrote:
Anyone ever use Amnesia as a running line?

yeah, I can't stand it. That's why I ended up with Stren Catfish Mono (Orange, 30lb) when going with mono. All mono will coil to some degree unless you stretch it out but I've also found that the Stren Catfish coils slightly less plus doesn't tangle much if I'm feeling too lazy to stretch it out prior to a days worth of fishing. Berkley Big Game is another one that's better than Amnesia, imo

Post 06 Aug 2022, 19:07 • #9 
Master Guide
I fished with Skagit style lines probably 20 times before I realized I'm better off with a dt or long belly line. I liked amnesia as running line.

If I were you I'd either save my money and not mess with Skagit. Tie a 3/8 oz sinker on the end of 30# mono and cast it with your rods. If you like it, then get a Skagit head and some running line.

Post 06 Aug 2022, 19:16 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Sweet rods, Barry. You'll have fun playing around with this technique on those.

Post 06 Aug 2022, 19:24 • #11 
Guide
clarkman23 wrote:
JShenk_615 wrote:
Anyone ever use Amnesia as a running line?

yeah, I can't stand it. That's why I ended up with Stren Catfish Mono (Orange, 30lb) when going with mono.
si

That's interesting. Clarkman, could you please let us know what specifically you dislike about Amnesia?

Post 06 Aug 2022, 19:32 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
"That's interesting. Clarkman, could you please let us know what specifically you dislike about Amnesia?"

It always had far more memory than I felt it should. There are plenty of other mono lines that have less. Regardless, one has to stretch any mono prior to each outing to get the best results out of them. The one mentioned above is just far better in every regard.

Lots of folks also love the OPST mono, which isn't anything special for quadruple the price.

All of that said, if I think I'll be stripping more than just swinging, I'll go with a coated line, with which I don't really have a favorite...they're all decent.

Post 06 Aug 2022, 21:51 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I've played with p-line hydro float #50. It is 50 pound braid with a floating coating. I don't have enough time fishing it, but it casts well.

My advice is to start on the heavy side of heads and work down. Especially when starting.

Post 13 Aug 2022, 00:10 • #14 
Master Guide
I just saw a you tube video where a guy took an old Shakespear glass rod( 9 foot) stripped and re wrapped it, added a 3 + inch handle and made a 2 handed rod. He uses a skagit line. It seems to cast effortlessly. A great way to extend the life of old glass fly rods.

my new $80.00 4 piece 8 wt,8' from maxcatch

Post 15 Aug 2022, 01:58 • #15 
Master Guide
Yes you can use one or two weight fly line as shooting line with heads like OPST heads for single hand rods, one weight is better than two because it has less friction. Short single hand Skagit heads will turn over too fast and stop flying prematurely if the running line drags through the guides, so the less friction the better. Mono like Amnesia will work fine if stretched thoroughly and has been used for decades by West Coast steelheaders. Best to stretch it by pulling as much as you need off the reel and doubling it around something stationary and pulling the whole length of it tight by holding both ends - once and done.

Post 15 Aug 2022, 11:56 • #16 
Guide
bill de Brooklyn wrote:
I just saw a you tube video where a guy took an old Shakespear glass rod( 9 foot) stripped and re wrapped it, added a 3 + inch handle and made a 2 handed rod. He uses a skagit line. It seems to cast effortlessly. A great way to extend the life of old glass fly rods.

my new $80.00 4 piece 8 wt,8' from maxcatch

What kind of reel is that? Nothing wrong with Max Catch I have a few.

Post 15 Aug 2022, 16:15 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Knowing nothing about Skagit, I wonder why if the 60-70' of running line on a super WF or integrated shooting taper is doing the same function as the running line in Skagit casting that it wouldn't work just as well for Skagit? At least as a starting point, it would seem that any WF could be reversed on the reel and work fine?

On the question of Amnesia I agree with Ckarkman23 that there are better choices in mono. I'd pick Big Game or Chameleon either over Amnesia in a mono rig. The spools of Amnesia that I've had did not suffer from amnesia at all, they exhibited excellent memory.

Post 15 Aug 2022, 21:16 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Fantastic turn of phrase there, Trev.

Post 15 Aug 2022, 21:46 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Trev wrote:
The spools of Amnesia that I've had did not suffer from amnesia at all, they exhibited excellent memory.

:lol :lol

even after a good stretch...

Post 15 Aug 2022, 23:28 • #20 
Administrator
jigsup wrote:
What kind of reel is that?

That's a semi-auto fly reel. Bill is the guy for semi-autos. See this post.

Tom

Post 17 Aug 2022, 23:41 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Bill,

It's good to see you posting here again. I ended up trying out one of the maxcatch semi-auto reels when they were available. Neat, but I'm sure the higher end models are really nice.

Post 18 Aug 2022, 19:03 • #22 
Master Guide
The reel is the ATP 37 semi automatic fly reel. it is cut from an aluminum block. It has a removable spool and drag adjustment dial on the spool .

Post 18 Aug 2022, 20:37 • #23 
Master Guide
Bill’s book on semi-automatics is excellent reference, helped me decide on the Vivarelli semi automatic and it was a GREAT decision. Using it with my Streamflex Plus for swinging soft hackles and wet flies.

Post 19 Aug 2022, 13:24 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Bill de Brooklyn

Please check your messages at top of the page.

Thanks,
Barry

Post 20 Aug 2022, 18:26 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
How do you like the Max Catch 8 WT.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply