It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:41

New Topic Add Reply
Echo Glass Switch Line
Post 05 Aug 2022, 15:00 • #1 
Guide
I have an Echo Switch Glass rod, 10'8" 4wt that I picked up used a year or so ago. I'm intrigued to get into two hand casting, but haven't really gotten around to it yet. This Fall, I'm anticipating a trip to a bigger river that might be nice to swing streamers with a two hander, so I want to get this rig all ready to go and start practicing.

Here's the question: The grain window is 210-240. Since I'll be fishign streamers, I'll want a skagit style head. Low and behold, I realize that the 8 wt rio grand line that I already have just happens to come in at a nice 240 grains for the first 30 feet and is made for throwing heavier flies.

So my question is: Can I use the 8wt rio grand to start spey castying with? I'll probably use a sinking versileader with it.

Yes I know there is a spey pages forum, but I'm not really active on that. And yes I know this set up probably won't perform as well as an actual skagit head and running line. But I'm just getting up and running, and would rather not buy a whole new line system for something I might not even do that much. Just wonder if this could be passable, or if others have done similar things.

Joel

Post 05 Aug 2022, 15:23 • #2 
Guide
Hi Joel, I don't have the knowledge to answer your question, but I am curious what your impressions are on casting/fishing your glass switch rod once you get it going. Please let us know, thanks!

Post 05 Aug 2022, 17:38 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
That will work but if you're really interested in throwing a bit more payload, I'd be looking at the OPST Commando heads paired with 8-10' of a lighter T material. If it were me, I'd probably be starting with the 225 and 8' of T7 and expand from there. While the overall head weight will be pretty similar to your Rio line, when it's compressed into a shorter head, it'll turn over larger flies easier.

Buuuuut, before diving into something like the Commando head or SA SpeyLite head, I'd play around with what you have as that might be a better fit for your casting style.

Post 05 Aug 2022, 18:30 • #4 
Master Guide
As a not-experienced Spey caster with an Echo Glass rod (3wt), I'd say it's likely that it'll work ok. If you want to put some zip on it and shoot the line a significant distance, I think you'll likely be better off with a a real Skagit (or Commando) head and a real running line. I used my rod this summer in places where I was only looking to cast 30' - 40' and get a good swing, so the Airflo Switch Float line I set up worked just fine. But I wasn't trying to shoot it 100' or anything...

Post 06 Aug 2022, 10:54 • #5 
Master Guide
I have that rod and use it with a SA Integrated Spey Lite (240gr i think but may be 210?). I also have used a wf7 floater with it for long single handed casting. My favorite streamer setup though is my heavy garcia automatic reel and teeny T200 shooting head. Balances well and effortless to one-backcast slingshot close or far into the river. And effortlessly manage line while wading/scrambling over boulders and in front of brush.

Post 06 Aug 2022, 13:48 • #6 
Guide
Thanks for all the feedback. It's good to know that it won't be a complete waste of time to at least start playing around with it to see how I like it before diving into a completely new line system. I've read enought to know that a comando head or SA Spey Lite are probably the way to go, but don't want to drop $100 for a new line system (plus tips) for one trip if it's not something I could see myself pursing more. I mainly plan to throw traditinal streamers: Buck tails, royal coachmen, maybe some conehead wooly buggers. So I wont need a ton of weight or distance to see if I can start to get the basic cast down.

On a related note, I've been trying to read up on using Amnesia as running line. I have a random spool of 30lb. If I do take the plunge, any feedback simply getting a shooting head and attaching 30lb amnesia on as a running line?

Joel

Post 06 Aug 2022, 18:34 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Joel,
If you feel like making your own tips, the Airflo T material is super easy to weld into loops. All you need is a heat gun some shrink wrap and you're good to go. I've found that any other T material is far more difficult to get it just right. I ended up just buying a 30' section of t7 and t10 (the airflo stuff) and am pretty much set. Alternatively, you can go with the pre-made tips to get things dialed in (shoot, I've probably spent far more on all of my T material than had I just gone with the various pre-made tips, but I have things really dialed for what I like to do)

Post 06 Aug 2022, 19:24 • #8 
Master Guide
Your line is fine. You're not going to be casting huge streamers for lake erie steelhead.

If you want to go with a sink tip, I think t7 is plenty. A poly leader is probably better. At least have a poly leader. The window to use a t10 is very small (the river would need to be on the verge of being blow in most spots).

Post 06 Aug 2022, 19:29 • #9 
Guide
Thanks everyone. I have two main take-aways so far. 1) go ahead and try the rio grand. It should work just fine as an intro. 2) if I do want to get more dialed in in the future, I see the rabbit hole is quite deep.

Post 06 Aug 2022, 19:34 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
"I see the rabbit hole is quite deep."

yep, you get it.... :lol

New Topic Add Reply