It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:22

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Jul 2022, 00:36 • #1 
Sport
Can someone please tell me what the newest Eagle Claw Featherlight 8 ft. 5/6 wt. rod weighs ? Also, and I know this is subjective, but would you say it is faster action than most glass rods, the same, or relatively slow compared to other glass. Thinking about picking one up for a nephew so he can chase bass in his nearby ponds. As always, thank you for your input.

Post 25 Jul 2022, 07:59 • #2 
Master Guide
The line weights are all mislabeled on this series.

For a nephew on a bass pond, especially if he’s new to casting, I’d look at the 6’6” 3wt - which actually handles a WF5 well. This is my best recommendation for a young one getting into fly fishing. Easy to cast and has lots of feel.

Another option would be the 7’ version (I forget what the line rating says on the rod) but I know it handles a WF6 well. I keep one rigged in my truck. It can do everything I need it to on a bass pond.

The 8’ 5/6wt rod you’re looking at is really more of a 7-8wt rod and is a real stiff clunker IMHO. It would likely turn off a young fly caster.

Post 30 Jul 2022, 05:33 • #3 
Guide
I picked up the 8’ version. New and very inexpensive. Mine is labeled as a 5wt. Not 5/6. I would agree that these are mislabeled. The grip is very short and very tip heavy. It almost balanced with an Abu automatic spooled with 200 yards of backing and a 5wt Rio Outbound Short Intermediate. Which really is almost an 8wt. Casts a country mile. But also easily cast a 4wt DT but your wrist almost snaps trying to stop it on the forward cast. But it does demonstrate how versatile and forgiving fiberglass is. Most of my glass rods will go 2 up and 2 down with minor adjustments to the stroke.

Post 30 Jul 2022, 08:25 • #4 
Guide
That's my experience as well. These are in some ways classic and nostalgic rods. Cheap, and a good introduction. But must overline, and also don't expect a great rod for $30 or whatever they cost.

New Topic Add Reply