It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:49

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Favorite Trout Species
Post 25 Jul 2022, 00:05 • #1 
Guide
I was reading angry viking's "midweek mountain mystery" thread, and noticed that some folks in the east prefer chasing brookies to rainbows & brown trout; whereas in my neck of the woods, non-native brookies are known to overpopulate, then eat all the food, which kills off rainbows, browns & cutts, so then we're left with a multitude of stunted, tiny brookies with large heads.
I personally would rather catch rainbows & browns, as they seem to be more compatible with our rocky mountain west waters--I say this because they don't tend to overpopulate, so they will grow a little more.
That being said, my all-time favorite quarry is indigenous cutthroat trout.
Aside from obvious regional differences, anyone else agree/disagree?

Post 25 Jul 2022, 06:57 • #2 
Guide
See I think it depends on region. I know where I live most of the guys I fish with would rather catch a 5 inch brookie over a stocked rainbow. Personally, it’s brookies as my favorite fish to catch here in Pennsylvania followed by wild browns. I can do without rainbows. The reason I like brookies tends to be where they are located. You can chase them in some pretty remote streams as well as some very skinny water. What also makes them my top choice is knowing those little guys have been born and raised in those watersheds and are top predator in those streams. Can’t forget their colors either…

On a final note they are our state fish which probably gives fisherman more of an appreciation for them here as well.

Post 25 Jul 2022, 08:09 • #3 
Guide
All trout are favorites. I dont fish much for bass or other warm water fish, and only rarely for saltwater fish. Almost all my fishing is for trouts, of all kind. I like catching native cutts and native brookies (the 12" brookie i caught in YNP a few weeks ago did seem out of place), but I frequently fish where the targets are feisty rainbows and browns. Of course none of the browns are natives, and not certain but i htink most/all rainbows even in native rainbow ranges are likely later introduced fish. But i like 'em all. Including for that matter the laker caught on Lake Yellowstone yesterday, currently sitting in my freezer. (And before this discussion is over, someone might rightly note that not all these "trouts" are really trouts biologically speaking, but i will leave that for others."

Post 25 Jul 2022, 08:54 • #4 
Guide
Wthorpe,
True, brookies aren't trout, but a char. I did try to avoid saying "brook trout," but instead just "brookies."
However, there was similar thread on favorite fish species, but I wanted this a little more specific. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=622
Maybe should have titled it "favorite coldwater species;" but wasn't really interested in, say, northern pike, but wanted to keep it more "trouty."

Last edited by oldriverman on 25 Jul 2022, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.

Post 25 Jul 2022, 09:01 • #5 
Guide
Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy catching fish, especially trout. But as listed above the brook trout (char) are my favorite. Super aggressive as well which makes summer terrestrial fishing a blast. You get quite the show. Would love a wild 20’ plus brown at some point just haven’t focused much on it yet.

Post 25 Jul 2022, 09:20 • #6 
Guide
California Goldens. Beautiful coloring and live in pristine environs (for the most part).

Post 25 Jul 2022, 10:21 • #7 
Guide
There may be no trout in Japan except for exotic species such as Rainbow trout, Brown trout. Yamame and Amago seem to be classified as salmon. Iwana and its subspecies belong to char. However, we Japanese anglers roughly classify these as trout. My favorite is Gogi, a subspecies of Iwana.

Post 25 Jul 2022, 11:38 • #8 
Guide
Native Cutthroats. Beautiful fish that fight, readily take dries, and have such variable looks depending on sub-species.

Sad that we’ve lost 90% of the habitat due to cross breeding or non-native stockings. Imagine the size of the cutthroats that used to live in the Colorado or Rio Grande prior to these introductions?

Post 25 Jul 2022, 12:09 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
For me, it's wild populations of whatever is native to the area. I'll go out of my way to find native trout (or char) that haven't been stocked wherever I am fishing.

Post 25 Jul 2022, 12:45 • #10 
Guide
Amago, rainbow trout , cutthroat and yamame/cherry salmon are all in the same genus as Pacific salmon (Oncorhynchus). Many hybridize and almost all are at least occasionally found in saltwater but require freshwater spawning grounds with running water.

Brown trout and their close relative Atlantic salmon are in the genus Salmo.

Char (genus Salvelinus) include Arctic char, Brook trout and Iwana (pretty closely related).

Me-I like them all and many other species.

Post 25 Jul 2022, 13:35 • #11 
Guide
oldriverman wrote:
Wthorpe,
... brookies aren't trout, but a char. I did try to avoid saying "brook trout," but instead just "brookies."

And rainbow trout aren't trout either, but a species of Pacific salmon. The reality is that all the three genera (Salmo, Salvelinus and Oncorhyncus have species whose recognized common name is "trout'.

Brook trout and wild browns are tied for being my favorites. I'd rather fish for bluegill than stocked rainbows.

Last edited by redietz on 25 Jul 2022, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.

Post 25 Jul 2022, 13:37 • #12 
Sport
I like them all. I find them all to be pretty regardless.
But having said that I prefer steelhead. Right now we have summer run steelhead in the ditches around here and they are awesome. In 4 trips last week I went 9 for 21. Not the best batting average but we have logs in our cricks not usually boulders like out west.

Post 25 Jul 2022, 13:56 • #13 
Master Guide
Native where possible (cutthroat in the rockies or on the coast, redbands or goldens in isolated headwaters, rainbows in pacific streams, mountain whitefish too).

Wild next in preference (mostly rainbows in areas that were fishless and includes brookies and browns where they are sustaining populations). Hatchery steelhead are somewhere in this group.

Put-to-take planters last.

Post 25 Jul 2022, 14:18 • #14 
Guide
Brookies for me. I think they are the prettiest fish God ever made. I do think it matters some where you grew up or live now. I have lived all of my life in or by the Great Smoky Mountains, so that has definitely colored my opinion. Having said that, I like any fish that puts a bend in a fly rod.

Rainbows next for me, and steelhead when I can infrequently get to where they live. All other trout next in no particular order. And then all the other species, so little time...

Post 25 Jul 2022, 15:14 • #15 
Master Guide
Bull Trout

Post 25 Jul 2022, 15:48 • #16 
Guide
I like them all. Though I grew up and learned to fly fish in PA, I sti have yet to catch a native brook trout. That's currently what I'm after. A California golden is on my bucket list.

Like others, I also prefer wild trout of any kind. But I'm not above having a blast catching stocked rainbows, which to be quite honest is mostly what I catch.

Post 25 Jul 2022, 16:27 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Driftless region Brown Trout for me. Edit: especially in the Fall colors, foliage and spawning.

Post 25 Jul 2022, 16:45 • #18 
I like fishing for wild rainbows. Out here they can fight like hell and are not easy targets, especially on faster mountain streams. I suppose folks tend to like fishing for what is best adapted to their watersheds, as those tend to be the best challenge.

Post 25 Jul 2022, 18:18 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
First, native trout in their home waters.

Second, wild trout wherever they are.

Generally in this order of preference...Cutthroats, Goldens, Brookies, Rainbows, Browns, all other.

Distant last, stockers.

Post 25 Jul 2022, 23:32 • #20 
Guide
Thanks all for the replies.
Redietz; didn't know rainbows aren't technically trout, but they're not pike, either.
Takeru; I would love to go to Japan someday & chase some of the species you mention. Your pictures of that area look amazing!
I would also agree that I'd rather catch stream-born fish to stockers. Also, I once ran into a fisheries biologist that mentioned some areas get stocked with rainbows of higher quality genetics (whatever that means) than others, depending on the fishery, fishing pressure, etc. I've caught rainbows that are amazing quarry, but also lots of stockers that my buddies & I call "slimers," not near as much fun.
But I'll stick to cutthroat. I've never caught a brookie that could compete with the colors of fall spawn cutts. Yes, brookies can be fiesty, but cutthroat can be just as fiesty, plus match the aerobatics of rainbows (imho).

Last edited by oldriverman on 26 Jul 2022, 08:53, edited 2 times in total.

Post 26 Jul 2022, 03:51 • #21 
Guide
I'm in the NE. Native Brookies, then wild Browns followed by wild Rainbows. One of the reasons I prefer Brookies is where they are located here in the NE. I love the mature woodland settings, and small creeks.

Post 26 Jul 2022, 04:25 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
In my home state since day one I have favored wild brown trout.

They populate tiny local streams, remote mountain streams and the meadow streams I grew up loving the most.

Post 26 Jul 2022, 04:45 • #23 
Piscator
paveglass wrote:
First, native trout in their home waters.

Second, wild trout wherever they are.

this was my exact answer, though I was thinking someone was fishing for a thread topic.
now I don't have to post.

Post 26 Jul 2022, 07:46 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Native cutts.......Aurelio

Post 26 Jul 2022, 08:19 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Rainbow trout and cutthroat belong to the same genus, Oncorhynchus. In my local waters, they hybridize with native cutts.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply