It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:29

New Topic Add Reply
Glass, Bass & Bluegill
Post 21 Jul 2022, 14:34 • #1 
Master Guide
I was able to get out today and indicator fish with my gray NFC IG 805-4. Todays successful flies were a size 14 gray birds nest with a white bead and a size 14 zug bug with a copper bead fish 13’ under the bobber. Thanks for looking, Lanny

Post 21 Jul 2022, 16:57 • #2 
Guide
Looks like a great little trip. Some nice bass! Thanks for sharing

Post 21 Jul 2022, 18:46 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Those bass are Taking size 14 nymphs? Wow.

Post 22 Jul 2022, 16:30 • #4 
Master Guide
Looks like a fun time with the 5wt. Nice looking fish. I am also surprised that the larger bass were going for nymphs, good to know!

Post 22 Jul 2022, 23:01 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Good day of fishing. Thanks.

Post 27 Jul 2022, 08:25 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like fun ! I am always edified by your choice of flies.

Post 28 Jul 2022, 08:40 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Jeez, you find the big bass!

Post 28 Jul 2022, 09:39 • #8 
Guide
I remembered I frequently caught big bass using 1/8-1/6 oz Mepps Aglia Spinners (your bass are larger than mine, however ;) ).

Post 28 Jul 2022, 17:34 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I have caught several decent bass on gear this season but none on bass bugs, i have caught 2 nice bass on sz12 hippy stompers on a 3wt and lost a few more.A couple little hits by micro gills then i big suck it in take by the bass.It has been the same pattern each time.I am still baffled.It is so cool the way those Florida strain bass and coppernose bluegills have thrived in Cali.My state's DNR was one of the best years ago, these days not so much.

Post 28 Jul 2022, 19:02 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
those are some huge bass on a #14.. nice !

Post 28 Jul 2022, 19:40 • #11 
Guide
That looks like tons of fun. Was catching little bluegills and baby bass by the handful this past weekend. 101 degrees and they were super ferocious. Using 3wt Wf , poppers, nymphs and mini trout magnets with BB foam indicators with believe it or not, a vintage 6’ fiberglass Wright and McGill ultralight spinning rod. Set up just like the Voyager spin/fly combos but it is a 2 pc with “micro ferrules”. Rod would bend to the butt with a big bluegill. And don’t tell anyone but casts as well if not better than my FF 60. Plus the Tennessee grip with sliding rings let’s me put on same vintage Abu 753 ultra lite spinning reel if I want to toss mini spinners out of the sun and under the shade of a tree. At a local golf course with a fountain in the pond. Larger bass seem to hog the best spots and defend their territory. Tossed a tiny baby bass lure and at least 3 attacked it at the same time.

Post 29 Jul 2022, 15:25 • #12 
Sport
Little kern golden wrote:
Todays successful flies were a size 14 gray birds nest with a white bead and a size 14 zug bug with a copper bead fish 13’ under the bobber.

Now that’s one good way to get the true utility out of a flyrod in flat water. Nicely done!

There’s an unusual, almost decadent feeling associated with deep indy fishing and suspension of small flies. One can even plumb bob the fly motionless directly under an indy and get bit just as readily as a live minnow, beemoth, or crawler much of the time. Found the fish and nailed the presentation up there, entirely possible that foraging was not necessarily their primary behavior or activity at the moment, either. It’s the rightsizing (or bitesizing?), putting it in front of them, and letting pure temptation do the rest of the work.

You seem to fish this technique well, ever use repeat climb & fall retrieves with the bugs? Sometimes when the dead hang doesn’t provoke, it can be the “emerger arc” the lighter flies take on short strips or steady pull that gets ‘em. I find tapered leaders can actually help get this trajectory in some ways when the leader butt sections ride upward better on the pull.

Great many options to play with on stillwater with indy techniques, I fish deeper pits and and lakes so I’m rather intrigued by what variations folks come up with.

Post 29 Jul 2022, 18:21 • #13 
Master Guide
Hello, I have always enjoyed Stillwater fly rodding. Living in Southern California I have many more Stillwater options than fishing moving water. Yes, I am constantly moving the flies short erratic pulls and long slow strips to bring the flies up and let then fall as suggested. To me indicator fishing in lakes is more effective than using intermediate and full sink lines. At times these lines work well but once the depth is found were the fish are hanging out I can keep the flies in the right zone the whole time. I have successfully bobber fished down to 25 ft. Using the sliding bobber method.
The lake I fish the majority of the time is loaded with shad, silver sides and other bait fish I think the bass and bluegill mistake size 12 and 14 gray birds nests for a bait fish. These nymphs are about the same size and color. When the bass are chasing schools of bait fish early in the morning a size 12 to 14 grizzly bugger cast to a boil usually brings a strike

New Topic Add Reply