It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:51

New Topic Add Reply
Are Old Rods Fragile?
Post 24 Jun 2022, 19:01 • #1 
Sport
I have a Fenwick FF806 that I absolutely enjoy fishing, and I fish it quite often. In fact, I've fished it hard on occasion (all day, lots of casts, horsing around fish, etc.). On my last outing, I caught several decent sized bass (which it handled easily in relatively shallow water) and suddenly I wondered for the first time if I should be taking easy on this 42 year old rod! I handle the rod with respect and don't abuse it when fighting larger fish, but should I be concerned about using it like it's brand new? Big fish aren't my usual catch, but I get lucky now and then. I'd hate to ruin this wonderful old rod.

Comments anyone?

Post 24 Jun 2022, 19:19 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I had a Silaflex that looked like someone closed a car door on the tip. So I tried breaking it. Overlined it and cast it as hard as I could, couldn't break the darn thing.

About your Fenwick, what else would you do with it. Fish it hard and if it breaks buy another one. Also, can't remember hearing about one breaking and don't find many with short tips if I remember correctly.

Barry

Post 24 Jun 2022, 20:52 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Unless it is damaged in some way, tough as heck.

Post 25 Jun 2022, 04:46 • #4 
Guide
Glass is TOUGH.
I once fell right on one of my glass UL spin rods, I tripped on a rock climbing out of a river - a direct hit. Not a scratch or dent.

Post 25 Jun 2022, 05:23 • #5 
Guide
I’ve never broken a glass rod while fishing. Some have survived full speed impacts with clouser deep minnows,trees, and lifting fish. Plenty of my graphite rods have broken doing ordinary casts.

Post 25 Jun 2022, 06:16 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
As Grassnglass indicates, there is really only one way to find out.

Barring typical damage or deterioration, though, an older fiberglass rod should be up to the task it was made for.

Likely weak spots:

Loose-fitting or cracked ferrules due to careless assembly. Undetected, this problem can get worse and result in a break at the ferrule.

Abrasion hidden under one or more guide feet caused by loose, frayed wraps that allow the foot to move when the rod is flexed. Or caused by a bent guide that pressures the blank too much. Or by wraps that were too tight.

Small knicks and chips caused by impacts. More resistant to breaking subsequently than graphite, but still a weak spot.

Deterioration of the 'glass/resin caused by poor storage in climate extremes, especially high heat, dampness, or bright sunlight--and especially all three. If a rod looks badly weathered, there may be underlying damage. Even so, that's the one to use as a knockabout. Like most 'glass that appears to be in good condition, it is probably tougher than you think.

Post 25 Jun 2022, 06:53 • #7 
Piscator
1918 Thomas Special

Post 25 Jun 2022, 13:44 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Indy River-Another choice you have is to find a Fenwick F96-6 or F96-6F rod blank which is the blank the factory built the rod on according to the factory Fenwick catalogue I have.Then you will have an excellent spare and you can build it the way you want.I have one built on the yellow blank and had one made with the brown blank The only difference I found was the ferrule.I doubt you will break yours on a fish though. :)

Post 26 Jun 2022, 05:40 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Short answer...NOPE!

After buying a few graphite rods and having them snap too easily. That was what pushed me back to glass several decades ago. The last straw was when I hiked a full day into a wilderness area to fish...and on my first backcast with a graphite rod, I hooked a bit of vegetation and the tip broke off (probably hit by a beadhead on an earlier trip or something). That was it for me.

I have only broken one glass rod in my experience and that came during a rod/kayak/downed tree across the river moment of peril. All survived but the Cortland.

Post 26 Jun 2022, 06:52 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Dam near indestructible. The components may wear out or get damaged, but the glass blank has a nuclear half-life.

Post 26 Jun 2022, 08:43 • #11 
Master Guide
Beware of slamming car doors.

Otherwise you’ll be fine.

Post 26 Jun 2022, 18:09 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Or trunk lids. :)

Post 26 Jun 2022, 20:59 • #13 
Administrator
IndyRiver wrote:
I have a Fenwick FF806... I'd hate to ruin this wonderful old rod.

Two points. First, your rod was made in the mid to late 70s. By then, Fenwick had moved to epoxy resins which hold their strength and adhesion well. In general Fenwicks don't fall apart due to old age. They fail due to the inevitable accidents that happen to fly rods of all materials.

Second, so what if your FF806 was getting frailer every year? What then? Put it in a closet and never fish with it again? A 50 year old, very common rod will not gain value in a closet. An FF806 has value because you can take it fishing. Better for the rod to fail on the water than to be tossed when someone else cleans out the closet.

Tom

Post 26 Jun 2022, 22:33 • #14 
Master Guide
My oldest fiberglass rod is likely the Fenwick FF85 given to me by an elderly friend. I brought it to Cape Cod last spring and landed a bunch of striped bass on it. It never missed a beat and I never worried a bit.

Post 26 Jun 2022, 22:47 • #15 
Guide
My friend dropped the end of a 17ft canoe on my FF857 today. It shrugged it off with nary a scratch (luckily it happened on grass). Old glass rods are tough. I would be more concerned about the guide wraps deteriorating with age and use than the fiberglass itself which seems nearly indestructible. Most rods from 60-70’s vintage have wraps in good to great shape from what I’ve seen, so even that isn’t much of an issue.

Post 29 Jun 2022, 10:12 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
graphite rods will break inexplicably in ordinary use, typically due to earlier knocks or impacts that weren't noticed. I've never had a glass or cane rod break that way, nor heard of one..

my FF96-7 was my first and only fly rod for several years, then in constant use since 1979 as a warmwater rod with big bass flies etc. I have no hesitation in fishing it for anything including long tussles with big carp..

Post 29 Jun 2022, 11:26 • #17 
Guide
Fiberglass rods are anything but fragile...extremely durable, resulting in so many still with us in our closets and at yardsales today.

No way to prove it, but I feel I have landed some fish on glass rods I may not have landed on graphite composite, given the bending of the tip while fighting. You can definitely use smaller tippets with glass rods and still land fish.

I also believe you can apply more pressure and land fish quicker with glassrods...no worries of breaking the rod. You know when it is bent over to the max and has no more to give..and act accordingly, so it works well.

Post 29 Jun 2022, 15:20 • #18 
Master Guide
doug in co wrote:

I love that old Abu reel!

Post 30 Jun 2022, 10:16 • #19 
Guide
Old glass fly rods were built to be fished. Unless there is some obvious damage, keep fishing them hard and often.

I have broken three rods on fish in my life, all three were graphite. I've never felt like I was close to breaking a glass rod on a fish. Unfortunate garage accidents, however, can happen in the best of families...

Post 01 Jul 2022, 13:18 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Well said. And their toughness is not just anecdotal. Proof is in the material properties. Fiberglass accepts a load well beyond its elastic limit. Thus full flex is easily detected before the load being applied would break the rod. Graphite's elastic limit is very close to its fracture point. It is easier to overwork a graphite rod because it will break just after it is being worked hard enough. This doesn't make one material "better" than the other, just refects options in performance and use.

Post 01 Jul 2022, 14:27 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
desmobob wrote:
I love that old Abu reel!

my neighbor who likes to euronymph with the latest tech, saw it and said, "nice reel George Jetson !"..

Post 02 Jul 2022, 08:10 • #22 
Guide
Maybe I am an obsessive weirdo but before going to glass (in two waves, the first in 2014) I developed quite the pile at croix graphite spinning rods. A number (3) of these met with unhappy ends doing things that I wouldn’t even worry a second about doing with a glass rod. The only glass rod I ever broke was in a truck bed, and the force of a heavy tackle box when I slammed the brakes….

Post 02 Jul 2022, 19:39 • #23 
Sport
Thanks all for the great feedback. I've been very comfortable using the Fenwick and must admit it feels indestructible! After reading these comments I'll just keep fishing it as I have been. The comment about Fenwick moving to epoxy resins by the time that my rod was manufactured is quite helpful, and all the comments about everyone's experiences with their own rods, and the comments on fiberglass rods in general, are equally encouraging.

Glass Fanatic's comment about a spare rod is a great comment and I'm going to do something like that - perhaps another FF806!

I have a handful of nice graphite rods and I enjoy fishing all of them. Putting this old Fenwick into the rotation really was a disrupting event, some kind of "moment" after I'd owned it for a while! I came to greatly enjoy fishing this old rod, as much as any of my others (perhaps more in some cases), yet I paid virtually nothing for it, comparatively speaking. I fish a lot of farm ponds and small lakes and have a blast dragging this rod around to these various waters. It's so much fun to fish and I've come to really value the rod despite its cost - it goes on every trip. I guess I got a bit paranoid about the possibility of abusing it!

Thanks!

New Topic Add Reply