It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:59

New Topic Add Reply
Rio Lightline
Post 24 Jun 2022, 10:28 • #1 
I am thinking about trying Rio’s “Lightline” double taper on a JP Ross S glass 7-6” 4 weight I just ordered. Anyone have any experience with this line? It will be used for small stream trout fishing.

Re: Rio Lightline
Post 24 Jun 2022, 14:40 • #2 
Master Guide
I have used the Rio Lightline DT for a number of years. It is one of my favorite plastic lines, and it is true to weight. You will not be sorry. The new slick cast finish is super nice. I liked it so much that I replaced all my non slick cast lines with the slick cast versions.

Post 24 Jun 2022, 16:20 • #3 
Guide
It is a good line, and one of my favourites. In my testing, it was my favourite line with the recent Kabuto 6' 6" 3wt.

Last edited by raspberry-patch on 25 Jun 2022, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

Post 24 Jun 2022, 18:30 • #4 
Master Guide
I have the 5wt DT and am a big fan also. I got it at a huge discount but if I was paying retail I would go with a Cortland 444 Peach which I like better on my Fenwicks but prefer the Rio on my Red Truck 5 wt.

Post 24 Jun 2022, 20:36 • #5 
Guide
This Lightline is far and away my favorite, and the Line’s excellence easily motivated me to pass along my 406 and Sylk lines. I own 6 Lightlines in DTs that are spooled on my CFO Reels, and I fully agree with ffftroutbum’s statement regarding the Lightline’s wonderful shooting characteristics with “Slick Cast”. Enjoy, Bob

Post 25 Jun 2022, 12:39 • #6 
Guide
Another vote of confidence for Rio's LightLine. I've used only the wf variety in a 3wt and it's been great on both glass and softer graphite. With a shorter front taper it loads nicely in close, which is mainly how I fish it, but it does shoot nicely when called for.

Post 26 Jun 2022, 21:54 • #7 
Guide
I recently purchased the Rio Light line DT4. I am not as enthusiastic as others about this line. When I first purchased the line and cast it on my front lawn, I noticed as slight "kick" in the cast. As if something was happening near where the leader was attached to loop. Upon inspection I found the loop was delaminated. Rio did make it right and send me another line that seems to be free of defects.

I admittedly have had a hard time getting this line to match up to a few of my 4wts, or at least my casting style with those lines and rods. On one rod, I felt like it was overlining the rod. I had to double check that the line was a 4wt. On another rod it felt fine. Lol, maybe its less the line and more the caster.

I have had great success with 406 lines and SA lines. That's not to say that I will not purchase a Rio line again, but I will take a close look at the line before I do.

Also do not throw away the box to the line. It is the "ONLY" technical specification you will find. The Farbank website has no information.

Post 28 Jun 2022, 11:22 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
The Lightline has a very short front taper (5'), even shorter than Sci Anglers Mastery DT or WF in sizes 4 & 5. That short front taper puts you into the belly of the line with less fly line out past the tip top.

This means your rod will load with less line out than when using another true-to-weight line with a longer front taper including the Cortland Sylk with a 10 foot front taper, a 406 or a 444 Peach with an 8 foot front taper and even my current favorite, Sci Angler Mastery DT at 5.5' or 6.3 feet respectively for 4 & 5 weight lines.

Bottom line, if you are using any of these other lines and casting the same distance as with the Lightline, you should feel a difference.

I am a big fan of short front taper lines for the reasons stated above, I ordered a DT4 Lightline to try out. If I hate it I'll let you know. ;)

Post 28 Jun 2022, 15:08 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
It seems Rio lines (and Cortland) have thicker coating than SA made fly lines, with a Rio line the capacity of my reels is too small.
Because of this when casting my rods feels different, probably more wind resistance due to larger diameter of the fly line.

Post 28 Jun 2022, 16:18 • #10 
Master Guide
Bam, I think that the SA mastery trout DT has a 5 foot taper. The Lightline DT has a 5 front taper and an 8 foot body taper. So it’s got a compound taper. This is the measurements as listed for their DT5 on their website. I am assuming it’s the same for DT4 as it is the same length. The 3s and smaller are 70 feet. I am not sure if the front and body taper are the same.

Jay, I have been impressed with the lightlines. It is a good line. I also like the Tech Trout. I can tell you that the slick cast version is .02 inches thinner than the older version. I can’t recall what measurements were, but I have them written down somewhere.

Post 28 Jun 2022, 20:22 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
ffftroutbum:

Before they dumbed down the line profile information on the SA website the front taper specs posted were as follows:

DT2 - 4.6"
DT3 - 4'8"
DT-4 - 5'5"
DT5 - 6.3"
DT6 - 7'0"

Whether this has changed is beyond me. The front taper is/was also concave.

Whether the body taper on the Rio Lightline has any effect on the in-close loading versus longer front taper single/taper lines remains to be seen, but I doubt it.

I'll know in a few days when I get my first Lightline. ;)

Last edited by Bamboozle on 29 Jun 2022, 04:37, edited 1 time in total.

Post 28 Jun 2022, 22:26 • #12 
Master Guide
Bam, thanks for be info. I thought they were all at five feet. I think you may like the lightline, but then again, maybe I am just easily pleased :).

Post 28 Jun 2022, 22:46 • #13 
Sport
I have the Rio lightline in a DT 4. My experience with the line is very similar to what magicmike described. Every time I fish the line it seems to be heavier than rated by the manufacturer. It is the least used DT 4 line in my arsenal because I do not like the heavy feel to the line. After seeing all the positive comments on the line, it makes me feel better knowing I am not the only person who dislikes this line.

Post 04 Jul 2022, 08:44 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
FWIW - I got the Lightline weight specs from Rio and with the exception of the DT1 that is a tad heavy for some yet to be explained reason, the rest have a stated line weight of exactly the middle of the range for line weights 2 through 5.

Based on those specs and the comments from folks here, I bought a DT4 Lightline (and a 4 weight Triangle Taper) to try on my 8'0" 3/4 Steffen that I really don't like at all with a Sci Angler Mastery DT4.

I hope that one of them is the magic bullet for this rod and me.

Post 04 Jul 2022, 14:24 • #15 
I thought I’d answer my own post to give my opinion now that I own a Rio Lightline. I ended up going with the DT4 and can say so far so good. Cast very well at short distances and doesn’t seem to have any issues. I hope it stays this way.

New Topic Add Reply